Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-06-2020, 09:25 AM   #691
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2, Onyx T68 Lynx
Just confirming that Kindle for PC works the same. Sign into the app, and it will be on your list of devices on the website.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:20 PM   #692
LTR88
LTR88 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad mini
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Did you try launching Kindle for PC? Not sure if PC and Mac are the same, but on Mac if you launch a totally new installation, it will prompt you to register. Likewise, if you've already registered, you can go to Preferences to deregister then re-register. All this registration stuff happens within the app, not on Amazon's website.

Once Kindle for PC is registered, then you can go to Amazon's website to set it as your default device.
@odamizu, thank you so much for this -- it was just what I needed. I appreciate being able to ask a question and having it answered. :-)
LTR88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #693
arjanknulst
arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura H20 Edition 2
Since the latest update of MacOS to 10.15.2 it enforces the Kindle app to be 64-bit. So I can no longer use the old Kindle version that allowed me to convert kindle files to epub using Calibre. Is there any solution or work around for this? Would love to keep buying Kindle books and reading them on my non-Kindle device.
arjanknulst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:45 PM   #694
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Pro 10.5"; iPhone 7; Kobo H2O2; Kindle PW-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjanknulst View Post
Since the latest update of MacOS to 10.15.2 it enforces the Kindle app to be 64-bit. So I can no longer use the old Kindle version that allowed me to convert kindle files to epub using Calibre. Is there any solution or work around for this? Would love to keep buying Kindle books and reading them on my non-Kindle device.
The easiest way is to buy an old Kindle and register that with Amazon and then download and transfer via USB. I use a Kindle Keyboard to do just that and there are tons of them on eBay. You will have to put the Kindle's SN in the appropriate Calibre plugin for it to work, but the whole thing is an easy process.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:35 PM   #695
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
Quote:
If you still have Kindle for Mac 1.23.1 (or earlier) installed on your Mac and it worked with Calibre before you upgraded to Catalina, see this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=508

If you already deleted Kindle for Mac 1.23.1 (or earlier), do you have backups of your User > Library > Kindle folder?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:53 AM   #696
gottogetout
gottogetout began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO AURA H2O
THANKS

A big thank you to the contributors of this thread who also allowed me to read kindle books on my Kobo reader etc. extremely helpful.
we can get by without buying an old kindle but the idea is very interesting too

I recently managed to install "koreader", the software which allows one to read PDF files in a comfortable way - otherwise it's impossible - without damaging the system, and I should have done it earlier. it was worth spending time searching and doing it. Super useful. I just love my KOBO H20 1
gottogetout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:00 AM   #697
gottogetout
gottogetout began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO AURA H2O
I personally use a PC under Win 10 pro, concerning Mac OS : no idea of the solutions.
gottogetout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:56 AM   #698
arjanknulst
arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.arjanknulst can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
If you still have Kindle for Mac 1.23.1 (or earlier) installed on your Mac and it worked with Calibre before you upgraded to Catalina, see this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=508

If you already deleted Kindle for Mac 1.23.1 (or earlier), do you have backups of your User > Library > Kindle folder?
I might have backups in TimeMachine. But the issue was with newly bought books, any books I had previously bought are safely stored in Calibre.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #699
arjanknulst

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottogetout View Post
A big thank you to the contributors of this thread who also allowed me to read kindle books on my Kobo reader etc. extremely helpful.
we can get by without buying an old kindle but the idea is very interesting too

I recently managed to install "koreader", the software which allows one to read PDF files in a comfortable way - otherwise it's impossible - without damaging the system, and I should have done it earlier. it was worth spending time searching and doing it. Super useful. I just love my KOBO H20 1
Can you explain a bit more about the use of koreader? How would it help me to read encrypted Kindle books on my Kobo?
Old 01-13-2020, 02:35 PM   #700
ArcticPenguin
ArcticPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Ever time I try to install Kindle PC 1.17, it says that Kindle is already running despite the fact that I have already uninstalled it and deleted my kindle content in my documents folder
ArcticPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #701
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPenguin View Post
Ever time I try to install Kindle PC 1.17, it says that Kindle is already running despite the fact that I have already uninstalled it and deleted my kindle content in my documents folder
Have you tried a restart between the uninstall and the re-install?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:05 PM   #702
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
Quote:
I might have backups in TimeMachine. But the issue was with newly bought books, any books I had previously bought are safely stored in Calibre.
I understand.

You asked if there was a solution to get Kindle for Mac to work with Catalina. The answer is yes. But from your answer it seems you do not understand which Library files I'm referring to, and more detailed help is not permitted on this forum.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:14 PM   #703
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Can you explain a bit more about the use of koreader? How would it help me to read encrypted Kindle books on my Kobo?
It won't. KOReader will only be able to read DRM free books. You will need to do the same DRM removal. You might be able to skip the format conversion as I don't know what formats KOReader supports. The use of KOReader is usually for other reasons, such as simply not liking the Kobo software. There is a forum here to discuss KOReader. You should be able to find out details about it there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:04 PM   #704
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It won't. KOReader will only be able to read DRM free books. You will need to do the same DRM removal. You might be able to skip the format conversion as I don't know what formats KOReader supports. The use of KOReader is usually for other reasons, such as simply not liking the Kobo software. There is a forum here to discuss KOReader. You should be able to find out details about it there.
It supports MOBI but it kinda sucks at rendering those last I checked so you're still better off converting to EPUB. Indeed, if the files are AZW3, I don't even bother with normal Calibre conversion. I just use extract EPUB option from the KindleUnpack plugin for Calibre.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 11:49 PM   #705
arjanknulst

Quote:
I understand.

You asked if there was a solution to get Kindle for Mac to work with Catalina. The answer is yes. But from your answer it seems you do not understand which Library files I'm referring to, and more detailed help is not permitted on this forum.
I followed the instructions that you linked to. But no solution unfortunately. Downgraded KindleforMac to 1.23 and Calibre to 4.5. Removed previously downloaded Kindle content and only downloaded the book in question to test. But conversion to Epub format not allowed because of drm.