Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
K3 v Nook pictures

You can find my pictures here; http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/e...ook%20Vs%20K3/

Last edited by AdrianM; 08-28-2010 at 11:30 AM.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Nice photos. It was difficult to tell which has the better screen as in some photos the K3 seemed better and in other the Nook seemed equal or better. I know photos rarely due screens justice. so how would you rate the two from you eye view?
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Nice photos. It was difficult to tell which has the better screen as in some photos the K3 seemed better and in other the Nook seemed equal or better. I know photos rarely due screens justice. so how would you rate the two from you eye view?
Fairly equal in normal usage although I think I prefer the K3 serif font and the choice of K3 sizes. Of course, the static images don't do the screen refresh speed any justice which the K3 wins hands down.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Good to know. I only briefly played with a Nook at Best Buy and I thought it might have a better screen than the Sony PRS-300 which I own. I compared my Sony PRS-300 with my Kindle DX Graphite and K3 and of course the Pearl screen blows the older 2nd generation screen in the Sony PRS-300 out of the water.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Wasn't expecting the K3 to be smaller than the Nook! At one point I had the Kindle 2i and the Nook at the same time, and the Kindle was much, much bigger. But the Kindle 3 is so much smaller!
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Here you can compare eReader sizes.
Here are some numbers on eReader screen contrasts.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
AdrianM
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Kindle View Post
Here you can compare eReader sizes.
Here are some numbers on eReader screen contrasts.
As you probably know, contrast ratio numbers aren't always a good predictor of real world performance. So, although the K3 has a ratio far in excess of the Nook, it really doesn't translate that well to real world usage and, from my brief comparisons in normal light, it's difficult to tell the difference between the two.

All in all, I'd say it's a huge pity that B&N didn't do a better design job on the rest of the components as the screen and fonts they use are very good indeed. Perhaps the Nook 2 if it ever arrives will be a K3 killer.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:29 AM   #8
Stevo
Stevo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3!!!
Thumbs up for the Mistborn series!
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote