Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-13-2018, 04:40 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tch65721 View Post
What do I want? An edge wide enough to actually get a grip on, real buttons to turn the page...
The Glowlight 3 has those and everybody whined about the bezels being too big.

Quote:
Odd that Amazon/Audible introduced immersion reading (book is highlighted as the words are spoken), yet none of their hardware supports it. My el cheapo phone and free android app do though.
I wonder if the animation of highlighting is hard for an e-ink screen to pull off?

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-13-2018 at 04:42 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Nice. I'm surprised they put it on sale so quickly.
It was on sale for several weeks last month at all the European Amazon sites. Those sales have now ended and the sale’s moved to Amazon.com.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2018, 02:07 PM   #18
vostro
Connoisseur
vostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityvostro has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Scribe,Elipsa,PWSE,FORMA,KOA2,KV,KA1, KAH2O, PW1-4, KA, AKT,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
The 10th gen Paperwhite isn't on sale in Canada, but the 7th is. The wi-fi model is on for $99CDN and the Whispersync 3G is on for $149CDN.
10th gen is on sale now in amazon.ca.
vostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 04:31 PM   #19
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If I hadn't just picked up a Nook Glowlight Plus, I'd be looking at the new Kindle. I wanted a 6" waterproof reader and Kobo isn't likely to roll one out any time soon.
I prefer Kobo, but I've been wanting a waterproof 6" reader for a long time. So I ordered a new PW. The last Kindle I bought was a Voyage, 3 or 4 years ago. I waited and waited and Kobo never made one.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #20
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I prefer Kobo, but I've been wanting a waterproof 6" reader for a long time. So I ordered a new PW. The last Kindle I bought was a Voyage, 3 or 4 years ago. I waited and waited and Kobo never made one.
I want a Kobo too. But they don't offer a 6" waterproof device and never have.

I'm secretly hoping that the Clara 2 or whatever they call their next 6" reader will be waterproof and have the color changing light. That would be worth upgrading from my Aura.
Advert
Old 12-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #21
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
The Glowlight 3 has those and everybody whined about the bezels being too big.

I wonder if the animation of highlighting is hard for an e-ink screen to pull off?
None since the K3 could do Immersive Reading... then they took it away
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:18 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
None since the K3 could do Immersive Reading... then they took it away
The last Kindle with the "old" TTS was actually the Kindle Touch, which came after the K3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:40 PM   #23
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

NOT talking about TTS I talking about Immersive reading.. when it came out they Gave Away 30 Classics they ALL worked on the K3 for about 3 months then they did another soft were up date it Vanished! That was Sept 8th 2012... they vanished 12 weeks later.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #24
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Never owned one of those.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #25
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Another choice might have been the Tolino Vision (although you wouldn't have had much of a built-in market for U.S. use). So Calibre (or something like it) would probably be necessary.

https://mytolino.com/tolino-vision-4hd/ebook-reader/

Free shipping to the U.S. by Grooves Land (can't vouch for them as I've never done any business with them).

https://www.grooves-inc.com/tolino-t...SABEgKuH_D_BwE

Very simple interface but I like simplicity.

Also the Pocketbook Touch HD 3 (for sale at Good E Reader?) is available. Don't know anything about these, but they look interesting. It appears to be a lot more "versatile" than the Tolino Vision. (Hardware-wise it looks like it might be built by the same people.)

https://goodereader.com/blog/product/pocketbook-touch-3

Last edited by rcentros; 12-21-2018 at 02:46 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #26
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I want a Kobo too. But they don't offer a 6" waterproof device and never have.

I'm secretly hoping that the Clara 2 or whatever they call their next 6" reader will be waterproof and have the color changing light. That would be worth upgrading from my Aura.
For me, Kobo is too late to the party on this feature. It will be at least two years before I buy another ereader, realistically it could be much longer. As long as they keep working, I'll be content. This new Kindle has 8 GB which I will never fill up, is 6" and water proof. Those are the features I have been wanting for the last 2 years. So I am done for the foreseeable future. Plus I am super excited now that I've learned I can add my own fonts without having to jail break it!!! That was the main reason I always JB'd my Kindles.

Kindle and cool cover (from ebay) are coming tomorrow, but I won't open til Christmas.
Old 12-22-2018, 12:11 AM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
For me, Kobo is too late to the party on this feature.
To give Kobo credit, they had waterproof readers YEARS before Amazon did. Also, while the Paperwhite 4 is waterproof, the Clara has color changing frontlight. Each has a feature the other is missing.

Quote:
It will be at least two years before I buy another ereader, realistically it could be much longer. As long as they keep working, I'll be content. This new Kindle has 8 GB which I will never fill up, is 6" and water proof. Those are the features I have been wanting for the last 2 years. So I am done for the foreseeable future. Plus I am super excited now that I've learned I can add my own fonts without having to jail break it!!! That was the main reason I always JB'd my Kindles.

Kindle and cool cover (from ebay) are coming tomorrow, but I won't open til Christmas.
My current readers are an original Aura and a Glowlight Plus. I am happy with each and not looking for a new device either.

But if Kobo puts out a 6" reader that has both color changing frontlight and waterproofing, that would be enough to push me to buy a brand new reader
Old 12-22-2018, 06:30 AM   #28
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, Kobo did, and I have the original Aura H20, which I love, but never take out of the house. (Great for using in the bathroom!)

Actually I personally am glad the PW4 doesn't have the color change light. It isn't something that I want, though I have never tried a device with that feature.

I want the PW4 as my device to take out. I currently have a Voyage for that purpose, but since it was so expensive, I don't like to risk it. Plus, waterproof

Quote:
To give Kobo credit, they had waterproof readers YEARS before Amazon did. Also, while the Paperwhite 4 is waterproof, the Clara has color changing frontlight. Each has a feature the other is missing.

My current readers are an original Aura and a Glowlight Plus. I am happy with each and not looking for a new device either.

But if Kobo puts out a 6" reader that has both color changing frontlight and waterproofing, that would be enough to push me to buy a brand new reader
Old 12-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Actually I personally am glad the PW4 doesn't have the color change light. It isn't something that I want, though I have never tried a device with that feature.
It's weird that you'd be glad a device doesn't have a feature you've never used. Ambivalent, sure. But happy that a feature wasn't included?

I think it's a feature that you don't appreciate 'on paper', but when you use it for a while you'll feel differently.

I'm not so sure of the science used to tout the benefits to sleep of orange light. But I will say regularly being in a darkened room with both the orange Glowlight 3 and the blue/white of the Glowlight Plus or the Aura, the 3 is much more pleasant to look at.

Given the choice of one feature over the other, I would choose waterproofing, which is why I bought the Plus. But the orange light really is pleasant in the dark.