Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-21-2018, 03:38 AM   #1
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Run out of storage

I have a Kobo One, which suited my needs perfectly. Until I ran out of storage! Who'd have thought 8Gb is not enough? I always liked having the option of a card in the reader, but in the past few years that seems to have become a no-no.
Now of course I can delete the books I've read from the reader but, call me autistic, I like having all my books on it.
What options do I have? 8Gb seems to be the maximum on offer. And external cards are nowhere to be seen. I don't particularly like Kindles (I've had several in the past, but seem to remember there came a time when it was no longer possible to add your own fonts, which is an absolute prerequisite).
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:37 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
I have a Kobo One, which suited my needs perfectly. Until I ran out of storage! Who'd have thought 8Gb is not enough? I always liked having the option of a card in the reader, but in the past few years that seems to have become a no-no.
Now of course I can delete the books I've read from the reader but, call me autistic, I like having all my books on it.
What options do I have? 8Gb seems to be the maximum on offer. And external cards are nowhere to be seen. I don't particularly like Kindles (I've had several in the past, but seem to remember there came a time when it was no longer possible to add your own fonts, which is an absolute prerequisite).
You're autistic.

Although OCD or hoarder seems more appropriate?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2018, 04:41 AM   #3
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Since you're in Europe, perhaps check out the Pocketbook range - they still offer SD cards. Or the Kobo Clara - s smaller reader, but one whose internal SD card can be relatively easily replaced. Some have posted here about replacing its 8GB card with a 256GB card.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:41 AM   #4
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
You're autistic.

Although OCD or hoarder seems more appropriate?
Quite. But OCD and hoarding may come as collateral to autism. I speak from experience.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:48 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
What options do I have? 8Gb seems to be the maximum on offer.
There is a 32GB version of the Kobo Forma, and the Aura One LE also has 32GB.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2018, 05:20 AM   #6
bartveld
Evangelist

Thank you all for your replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Since you're in Europe, perhaps check out the Pocketbook range - they still offer SD cards. Or the Kobo Clara - s smaller reader, but one whose internal SD card can be relatively easily replaced. Some have posted here about replacing its 8GB card with a 256GB card.
Yes, it seems the Clara is easy to open. But the screen is too small.
Pocketbooks look nice, but again the screen sizes are too small. Also, I'm a bit wary of changing the digital ecosystem I'm used to; can you add fonts on Pocketbooks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
There is a 32GB version of the Kobo Forma, and the Aura One LE also has 32GB.
The Forma looks interesting. Big flush screen! Also like the fact it can rotate the screen. But the form factor is something that may take me a while to decide on it. And the price.
The LE is very much what its name says: limited (in availability).

Last edited by bartveld; 12-21-2018 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:26 AM   #7
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Thank you all for your replies!

Yes, it seems the Clara is easy to open. But the screen is too small.
Pocketbooks look nice, but again the screen sizes are too small. Also, I'm a bit wary of changing the digital ecosystem I'm used to; can you add fonts on Pocketbooks?
I believe you can add custom fonts to the Pocketbooks. There's an active community of users here. I don't have one, the costs of buying and shipping it here were prohibitive. But as for small screen sizes, the Inkpad 3 has a 7.8 inch screen, bigger than any Kindle, and the same size as the Aura One, while only a fraction smaller than the Forma
Old 12-21-2018, 05:33 AM   #8
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
The Forma looks interesting. Big flush screen! Also like the fact it can rotate the screen. But the form factor is something that may take me a while to decide on it. And the price.
You could get a One LE. It can rotate the screen as well, with the right firmware patch. I actually like the form factor of the Forma and the buttons (I bought it for the buttons ), and that's coming from a One.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:49 AM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Just a note: you can add your own fonts and adjust font weight on all newer Kindles, out of the box, without any hacks or a need for jailbreaking.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:12 AM   #10
bartveld
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
I believe you can add custom fonts to the Pocketbooks. There's an active community of users here. I don't have one, the costs of buying and shipping it here were prohibitive. But as for small screen sizes, the Inkpad 3 has a 7.8 inch screen, bigger than any Kindle, and the same size as the Aura One, while only a fraction smaller than the Forma
Just looked into it and yes, Pocketbooks can have fonts added. The Inkpad3 is a nice option and the cheapest so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
You could get a One LE.
So you can. I wonder about the shipping cost, though. Here in Europe they can't be found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Just a note: you can add your own fonts and adjust font weight on all newer Kindles, out of the box, without any hacks or a need for jailbreaking.
Ah, that's news to me! So things have changed somewhat for the better.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:15 AM   #11
bartveld
Evangelist

Quote:
I wonder about the shipping cost, though.
O well, it says free shipping.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:43 AM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...+One&FORM=VDRE

Buy a Bigger SDCard & change them

Last edited by Barbara1955; 12-21-2018 at 07:45 AM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #13
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
The internal card in Kobo Aura One is a regular microSD that you can change. This, however, requires some skill and courage to open up the device and install the software on the other microSD.

Also, the upper size limit for the new card is 32GB as far as I know. You may eventually run out of that too as your reading career accrues. I have.

Last edited by mobama; 12-21-2018 at 08:14 AM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:09 AM   #14
bartveld
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
It says here that the Aura One doesn't have a slot for the card; it's soldered EMMC.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:18 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
The internal card in Kobo Aura One is a regular microSD that you can change. This, however, requires some skill and courage to open up the device and install the software on the other microSD.

Also, the upper size limit for the new card is 32GB as far as I know. You may eventually run out of that too as your reading career accrues. I have.
No, the Aura ONE has fixed storage. It cannot be changed. There is a 32GB version of the Aura ONE.

For the Kobo devices that do have internal micro SD cards, the newer devices can use cards larger than 32GB. There are reports of 256GB cards being used.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote