Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #76
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
It is reasonable that they will wait until an official cover is released. Buying a third party cover is not a reasonable/realistic option for some people.
I'm afraid I don't see why, personally, but I'm happy to take your word for it. A cover is a cover, to my mind. As it happened, I have the official Amazon cover for my Voyage, but I've had all sorts of different third-party covers for readers over the years, and they've all (with one exception) been fine.

Quote:
I'm surprised by how long it has taken them to come out with a replacement. I am doubtful that the bad reviews were enough to make them pull it and sell no case at all for their flagship reader all throughout December and January. Rather, I think it seems more likely that they were getting such an inordinate amount of refunds on the cases that they decided it would make better business sense to sell nothing at all.
I think we're saying the same thing aren't we? That most people really didn't like the cover, so they sent it back for a refund?

I think it's just a really poor design. The Voyage cover also had a magnetic fastening, but at least it was a "clamshell" design, so it didn't fall off whenever you opened it. You need to have the cover physically clamped on in some way, I think, not just held by a weak magnet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:31 AM   #77
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think we're saying the same thing aren't we? That most people really didn't like the cover, so they sent it back for a refund?

I think it's just a really poor design. The Voyage cover also had a magnetic fastening, but at least it was a "clamshell" design, so it didn't fall off whenever you opened it. You need to have the cover physically clamped on in some way, I think, not just held by a weak magnet.
I suppose we are saying the same thing then, yes.

Oh, how I love the Voyage's cover. I love the way it can be used as a stand. I use it all the time. Val Kilmer's Batman would use this sleep cover for his e-reader. Compare that to the new Oasis's 'fold', presumably inspired by the Kobo Aura One. Ugh, what an ugly, useless fold.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2018, 11:44 AM   #78
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Still though, my point is there is no option for those that like to take their Oasis out to read. None, not one of the 3rd party covers works like that. So there are a lot of options for those that like to read with it in the cover, have super protection all around and what have you. But there are zero covers for those like me that like to read their Oasis without a cover and just need one to place it in and out in between reading. Like the original was designed for.

I have one of the originals and it performs exactly as I had expected. That it comes off easy is part of its function. Its only on when I don't read. So there is no way for anything to fall off. I open it, grab the Oasis to take it off and read. I am done reading, I quickly slap it back on. Easy. Sure, lots of folks didn't like that, I am not arguing that. But the point remains that there are zero options right now in covers for the Oasis that come off easy. Not a one. And I do consider that an issue. Especially since not even Amazon has one right now to sell.

Making one that functions this way doesn't take away the gazillion of options for everyone else.

I have had 3rd party covers in the past, with varying success. My Oasis1 and my Voyage though had the official. I couldn't find a 3rd party at the time for the Voyage that function so it comes off easy. On my first Paperwhite the covers were so hard to take off, I gave up. Didn't like that device anyway.

My older kindles all have 3rd party covers, K1, KK and the button basic. Still they come out easy of those. No prying them fearing to break the device.

Just one option to have would be nice. I'd like another cover, one that isn't suede. But there are none so I still wait. And wait.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #79
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I'm another of those who read their Oasis without any cover. I bought a MoKo sleeve and keep the Oasis in it when I'm not reading. Not an elegant solution, but works for me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #80
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
there are zero covers for those like me that like to read their Oasis without a cover and just need one to place it in and out in between reading. Like the original was designed for.
You could achieve that with a sleeve, of course. There are several sleeves available for the Oasis 2.
Advert
Old 02-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #81
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
My objection to the covers with folding fronts is that they appear to me to provide minimal protection to the current readers with flush screens without a raised bezel. A one piece stiff front cover seems that it should provide added impact protection. As the reader screen gets larger as on the Oasis 2 and Kobo Aura One the chance of screen damage from impact increases I think. I read always with readers in some type of cover as it provides additional grip.

As for the latest firmware upgrade I am not sure it is much of an enhancement for me. How about a Kindle reader with a modern 300 DPI screen with the proportions of the old Sony PRS-950 screen.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #82
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
My objection to the covers with folding fronts is that they appear to me to provide minimal protection to the current readers with flush screens without a raised bezel. A one piece stiff front cover seems that it should provide added impact protection. As the reader screen gets larger as on the Oasis 2 and Kobo Aura One the chance of screen damage from impact increases I think. I read always with readers in some type of cover as it provides additional grip.
Don't forget, though, that the devices with flush bezels also have toughened glass screens, which are much, much stronger than the plastic screens of the older devices.

I get the impression that most covers are more about simple dust protection than impact protection. To protect against impact, you want something which will deform, thus absorbing energy, rather than being rigid.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #83
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
You could achieve that with a sleeve, of course. There are several sleeves available for the Oasis 2.
I don't like sleeves. They still take some fiddling to get a device in and out. I want and need something quick and easy. I can take my Oasis out of the cover and put it in without even looking. The magnets do the work for me. Sleeve I'd have to fiddle it in. I want a cover, not a sleeve. The nice stiff front of the cover protect the screen and it opens it on my book. Another thing a sleeve can't do.

So no, still stands. There are no covers available at all for reading out of it.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #84
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Just trying to make helpful suggestions for people who may share your preferences! Unfortunately, I suspect that it's unlikely that any manufacturer will make the type of cover you want because when Amazon tried it it was so unpopular.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #85
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
We each have what works for us, and that is as it should be. We should never say our way is the only way, it is just what works for us.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #86
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
Quote:
Just trying to make helpful suggestions for people who may share your preferences! Unfortunately, I suspect that it's unlikely that any manufacturer will make the type of cover you want because when Amazon tried it it was so unpopular.
I wonder what Amazon did with all their sleepcovers that (presumably) got returned. It would be nice if people like Atunah had the option of buying one of them "refurbished" or whatever.

Maybe it would be worth emailing customer services.

Last edited by Braid; 02-13-2018 at 02:33 PM.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:54 PM   #87
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
I got mine two weeks ago at a amazon pop-up store in local mall. It works pretty well for me.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:48 PM   #88
violent23
Connoisseur
violent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
No you are not. You started this whole thing by being cheeky with your reply to me that there are cases available. Like I said, you know full well there are no first party cases, and yet you decided to double down with an even more facetious reply after I asked you nicely to stop.

And here you are still digging in and pretending that 3rd party cases and sleeves are an option for the people who want the quality and functionality of the OG Amazon case.

Just stop, not only are you not being helpful, you are just diggin your hole deeper.
violent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #89
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I had the same experience on my Voyage. Manually applied the new update on Wednesday night. Voyage wasn't used until I turned it on this morning (Friday) and battery level showed near empty. My Voyage is permanently in airplane mode.

I did add three or four books to the Voyage just after I updated the firmware. I don't think that indexing the four books would have caused such a quick drain, but maybe it was stuck for awhile on one of the books. I did check to see if it was still indexing when I noticed the battery level and it wasn't.

I'm charging it now and am hoping this is an anomaly. I'll report back when I know more.
Back on an earlier topic in this thread...I'm happy to report that after the quick discharge I experienced the first time after installing the new firmware, my reader seems to be holding a charge just fine.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post

As for the latest firmware upgrade I am not sure it is much of an enhancement for me. How about a Kindle reader with a modern 300 DPI screen with the proportions of the old Sony PRS-950 screen.
The cover you dislike will give more protection than no cover. Plus, sleeves are really no good for when you want to take your Reader out of the house. You end up reading with no protection in public.

As to the 950 sized screen, I much prefer the size of the 6.8” screen like that of the H2O. It just seems more natural. I had an iPhone 5 and I like the size of the 6s much better. It,s a matter of correct aspect ratio and the 950 was just off.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote