Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 12-20-2017, 10:55 PM   #1
Midwinter
Midwinter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Remote settings change

Is there any existing way to remotely change settings, specifically night mode and brightness?

Might seem like a weird request, but my use case is to integrate with the Home Assistant project and be able to change the brightness and turn night mode on in an automation/scene.

I didn't see anything like it anywhere that seemed to indicate that the functionality existed already, but I just thought I'd check
Midwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I guess you are looking for a wireless/ WiFi ssh approach. You would need to have the Kobo device on and its WiFi active properly active to have that work. (Not something I've done, though I have meant to try it someday.)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #3
Midwinter
Midwinter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Interesting, thanks Ken! Maybe I'll try writing a plugin when I've got some spare time. I don't think the change would need to be reflected instantly, perhaps the next state change.

The approach I think I might implement would basically consist of a user configurable single external endpoint and on page-turn it would trigger an async POST within KOReader (with a device UID and maybe some useful statistics like current book title, progress stats etc if the users endpoint wanted to use it for something) and the endpoint could return a response with some JSON that would get validated by the plugin and change the appropriate setting
Midwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:30 AM   #4
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Btw, just in case you could do a quick search for Kobo in general.

But yes, a plugin like you describe should be simple enough.

Here are some of the frontlight control functions.

Here is the night mode switch.

Here is the BackgroundRunner plugin you could use to execute the POST.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote