Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-06-2018, 07:05 AM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
The Cheapest E-Reader?

I'm thinking of buying an ereader, for Christmas, for a friend who reads only occasionally. He was a little upset when his Pandigital Novel recently died (it was a freebie with some sort of magazine deal years ago). He doesn't read enough to justify the cost of the Basic Kindle.

Is there anything cheaper? Some little known brand which hardly anyone uses?

I realise this is a difficult question. Thanks lots for any suggestions.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:34 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I'm thinking of buying an ereader, for Christmas, for a friend who reads only occasionally. He was a little upset when his Pandigital Novel recently died (it was a freebie with some sort of magazine deal years ago). He doesn't read enough to justify the cost of the Basic Kindle.

Is there anything cheaper? Some little known brand which hardly anyone uses?

I realise this is a difficult question. Thanks lots for any suggestions.
How about a Kindle Keyboard 3? Good ones seem to go for £20-£30 on eBay. It can handle KFX format from Amazon, and with a 3G model you don't even need to have Wi-Fi.

The screen is only a 150dpi pearl screen with no frontlight, but it's still plenty good enough for use in normal lighting.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Doesn't read enough to justify the cost of a Basic Kindle? Probably you mean does not read enough to justify the subscription cost of the Kindle app.

I do not know if there is a reading app where the subscription would be cheaper. A way aroundthe whole problem is to not use any app, but download and read whatever files float around the internet. Gutenberg.org alone is plenty of reading for hundreds of lifetimes.

When you do not subscribe to the Kindle app, a Basic Kindle could quite well be justified.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Have a look at the Goodwill.com site
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Dunno about UK but basic Kindle often goes on sale for $40-50 in the US. I doubt you'd find anything cheaper unless you go used.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the UK the basic kindle is £60-£70 depending on whether it has adverts.

He rarely uses his PC and doesn't have a tablet or a smart phone, so the app wouldn't be appropriate. Years ago, he somehow managed to put The Castle of Oltranto onto a Gameboy SP using an emulator. That was my first encounter with e-reading!

I'm in the UK, so postage from Goodwill would probably cost more than the device.

I've read threads on MR in the past which said buying a second hand ereader is not a good idea. It might be registered (stolen) or have a very run down battery.

So I was wondering if there was a little known brand which was very cheap (around £30ish) so that I could get a new one?
Old 12-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
In the UK the basic kindle is £60-£70 depending on whether it has adverts.

He rarely uses his PC and doesn't have a tablet or a smart phone, so the app wouldn't be appropriate. Years ago, he somehow managed to put The Castle of Oltranto onto a Gameboy SP using an emulator. That was my first encounter with e-reading!

I'm in the UK, so postage from Goodwill would probably cost more than the device.

I've read threads on MR in the past which said buying a second hand ereader is not a good idea. It might be registered (stolen) or have a very run down battery.

So I was wondering if there was a little known brand which was very cheap (around £30ish) so that I could get a new one?
Honestly, the Chinese-branded e-ink readers I see on Aliexpress cost the same or more than the basic Kindle. I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon was selling their devices at or below cost in order to generate future revenue from services and subscriptions. Finding something cheaper that's brand new will probably be difficult.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:45 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J

In that case I'll offer to contribute to the cost of a reader, rather than buying one outright. He'll be fine with the kindle basic; the Pandigital Novel didn't have a frontlight and he seemed to like that.

Another one of my cats needs a vet visit (abscess on his head caused by a swipe from his mother: Cyd's about 9yrs old, and his mum is about 16.) Victoria has to go for a check-up too. So I can't afford to cover the entire cost of the kindle basic.

Thanks for your help.
If anyone has more ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited by BookCat; 12-06-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Any modern smart phone can run free reading apps, All you need is good eyesight for the small screen.
And anyone with a uk library membership can read library books as ebooks and or listen to audiobooks, on loan, for free. Using the free Libby app.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:01 PM   #10
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Any modern smart phone can run free reading apps, All you need is good eyesight for the small screen.
And anyone with a uk library membership can read library books as ebooks and or listen to audiobooks, on loan, for free. Using the free Libby app.
Unfortunately, he has a dumb phone. Many people I know don't have smart phones, it's probably a generational thing.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #11
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Find something else for him for Christmas.

Add some different apps for reading to his cell.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #12
BookCat
C L J

Apps are only available for smart phones, his mobile isn't smart.

Looks like he'll be getting something else.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #13
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
Does he have a smartphone? See if there is a kindle app for it.

Nevermind- Now I see he doesn't. Instead I'd suggest a tablet that is compatible with an ebook app such as Kindle. In the US at least, the kindle android app is free.

Last edited by NSILMike; 12-10-2018 at 02:19 PM.
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:36 PM   #14
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
In the UK the Fire 7 (HD7) tablet starts at £34.99

I assume home or public library Wi-Fi is available
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:07 PM   #15
BookCat
C L J

Thank you, Little Egret. One of the mobileread members sold me a Kobo Mini at an amazing price. I think an eink reader which doesn't have lighting would be perfect for him. It's a very nice little ereader. Such a shame they're not still made, with the option of frontlighting. If they were, I'd buy one immediately; but I'm too used to lighting.

Thanks everyone.

Tags
cheap ereader