Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
kksdragons
Bibliophile
kksdragons began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad
Question Calibre portable on iPad?

Can I d/l the portable version to a thumb drive, copy the library to the drive, and run it on an iPad? I'm trying to set my mother up with access to my books on her iPad as she reads constantly. She doesn't use a pc or have email so these options won't work and she lives 8 hrs. away. Help!!
kksdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kksdragons View Post
Can I d/l the portable version to a thumb drive, copy the library to the drive, and run it on an iPad? I'm trying to set my mother up with access to my books on her iPad as she reads constantly. She doesn't use a pc or have email so these options won't work and she lives 8 hrs. away. Help!!
Calibre runs on Linux, Mac OSX and Windows. You might want to check into running calibre's content server with access to the Internet to allow her to use a web browser to access books in your library.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #3
kksdragons
Bibliophile

She doesn't use a computer or the browser on her ipad... it's only for reading. Even if I figure out how to do what you suggest, how do I secure this connection? Probably a dumb question!
Old 10-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
She doesn't use a computer or the browser on her ipad... it's only for reading. Even if I figure out how to do what you suggest, how do I secure this connection? Probably a dumb question!
You might want to check the calibre documentation on the content server and the Server subforum. You can use user names/password and SSL to secure the connection to the server.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:30 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Another approach would be to mirror your library on Dropbox and have your Mom use the Calibre Companion or [iOS] Libreca for Calibre app. Then you wouldn't have to run the server, and your Mom wouldn't have to run a browser.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2019, 01:01 PM   #6
kksdragons
Bibliophile

Can I d/l the portable version to a thumb drive, copy the library to the drive, and run it on an iPad?

So I take it there is no way to do it like this? I was hoping not to incur the expense of something like Dropbox and either have it self-contained or in the iCloud.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Can I d/l the portable version to a thumb drive, copy the library to the drive, and run it on an iPad?

So I take it there is no way to do it like this? I was hoping not to incur the expense of something like Dropbox and either have it self-contained or in the iCloud.
Calibre Portable (really, Calibre in general) does not run on iOS.

Calibre Companion will be requiring a subscription so I don't know if that's something you or your mom will be willing to pay.

Do you have a laptop with iTunes installed that you can bring to your mom's and can you copy files via USB for initial set-up?

Also, does she need ongoing access to your library or is loading new books something you can just do when you visit? Assuming she doesn't need live access to your library and the device has sufficient storage, I reckon you could transfer your entire library to her preferred reader app via iTunes File Sharing.

Problem is if she uses iBooks/Books. I think you might need a Mac to do a bulk transfer directly from computer to iBooks/Books. For this, I would've recommended Calibre Companion but as mentioned, dunno if you'd be willing to do subs.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:35 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Find out if you can mirror (not synch) your library to iCloud without additional expense. If you can then find out if CC or Libreca can access a library on iCloud. The Libreca developer recently added support for Dropbox hosted libraries, given it is an IOS only app he may already support iCloud.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote