Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-30-2015, 06:34 AM   #1
freedomreader
freedomreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Stuck floating ebook toolbar & TOC pane

Hello,

I am on Calibre 2.18 64 bit. I have a couple of issues i'm looking to resolve.

1) The floating ebook viewer toolbar that is usually on the left side of the viewer pane is stuck across the top, middle left of whatever book I open so I can't read anything.

I cannot drag the ebook toolbar back to it's original position on the left. The part where you drag the bar is outside the left of my notebook screen and is unreachable.

2) How do I dock the table of contents section back to the main ebook toolbar usually located on the left of the view pane. I hit the restore down button (2 little squares) on the table of contents pane located on the upper right (minimize, restore down, close).

The TOC pane floats and I can't get anything re-docked back to default or back to the original way it was. I set all interface settings to default and tried uninstall and re-install w/no luck.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-30-2015 5-21-03 AM.png
Views:	338
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	134335  

Last edited by freedomreader; 01-30-2015 at 08:25 AM.
freedomreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
It is a standard dockable bar.

Sometimes you can just double click in a BLANK space on the bar and it will go back 'home'

The other way is drag it to the edge (you will see a change when you hit the spot)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2015, 04:52 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Sometimes you can just double click in a BLANK space on the bar and it will go back 'home'
Does this work for you? Unless I'm doing something wrong it doesn't for me (Win 7 calibre 32bit).

Quote:
The other way is drag it to the edge (you will see a change when you hit the spot)
Neither could I find a way to drag it if the left-hand edge of the horizontal toolbar was already off screen, as in the OP's pic. I restored a previous backup of my config directory to fix it. If there is an easier way that I missed I'd like to know what it it is ... just in case.

Last edited by jackie_w; 01-30-2015 at 04:55 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, I tried it on W7

Grab on the Bar (the Left side). The cursor will be crossed arrows and only dragging works
Old 01-30-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK, I tried it on W7

Grab on the Bar (the Left side). The cursor will be crossed arrows and only dragging works
Yes, I know that's how it should work, but the situation the OP is in is that the small grab area on the left is off-screen so it can no longer be grabbed and the crossed arrows don't appear anywhere else if you hover over the toolbar. I'm not sure how the OP got into this situation but it can't have been difficult because I ended up in the same place without really thinking about it. Then I realised I, too, was 'stranded'
Advert
Old 01-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Yes, I know that's how it should work, but the situation the OP is in is that the small grab area on the left is off-screen so it can no longer be grabbed and the crossed arrows don't appear anywhere else if you hover over the toolbar. I'm not sure how the OP got into this situation but it can't have been difficult because I ended up in the same place without really thinking about it. Then I realised I, too, was 'stranded'
tweak_book_gui.json is where the location state value is

(don't which item)
Old 01-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Are you sure it's not viewer.json? Even so, I'm not sure how you would know what values to use if you tried to manually edit those bytearray values.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:06 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I just tried to get into the same situation, it was quite difficult and I'm not sure what steps were necessary - but I was able to do it.

I have my task bar on the left edge so the grab handle was stranded under it, so changing the taskbar to autohide itself, enabled me to rescue it.

Something in preferences to reset the arrangement of dockable items to factory settings would be handy, same in the editor.
Quote:
Are you sure it's not viewer.json? Even so, I'm not sure how you would know what values to use if you tried to manually edit those bytearray values.
Correct - and the only way out is close viewer, rename viewer.json to viewer.json.save and restart the viewer. And if you're minded, close it, and then cut and paste the data worth having from viewer.json.save into the new viewer.json.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-30-2015 at 06:11 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:40 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Yes
Somehow I was thinking this was the Editor toolbar
Old 01-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #10
freedomreader

No luck..

Hi,

I've tried everything, looked at other posts, etc. Nothing works. I can't drag the eBook toolbar anywhere because I am not able to reach the handle. The handle is to the left outside of my monitor screen as seen in the capture I attached above. I've also tried double clicking to no avail everywhere and that still does nothing.

Btw, what is the path to viewer.json? (Windows 7, 64 bit)

Last edited by freedomreader; 01-30-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:35 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomreader View Post
Hi,

I've tried everything, looked at other posts, etc. Nothing works. I can't drag the eBook toolbar anywhere because I am not able to reach the handle. The handle is to the left outside of my monitor screen as seen in the capture I attached above. I've also tried double clicking to no avail everywhere and that still does nothing.

Btw, what is the path to viewer.json? (Windows 7, 64 bit)
@freedomreader - once its stranded it's almost impossible to get back.

In main GUI program (library manager) go to Preferences->Miscellaneous and click Open configuration directory

You'll find viewer.json in there

But before you change anything in there close calibre, viewer and editor.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:05 PM   #12
freedomreader

Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I just tried to get into the same situation, it was quite difficult and I'm not sure what steps were necessary - but I was able to do it.

I have my task bar on the left edge so the grab handle was stranded under it, so changing the taskbar to autohide itself, enabled me to rescue it.

Something in preferences to reset the arrangement of dockable items to factory settings would be handy, same in the editor.

Correct - and the only way out is close viewer, rename viewer.json to viewer.json.save and restart the viewer. And if you're minded, close it, and then cut and paste the data worth having from viewer.json.save into the new viewer.json.

BR
SOLVED!!!
OMG, BetterRed This solved the problem! I closed everything the editor and everything else, renamed the viewer.jason as above, then reopened Calibre and a book. All is good once again

Thank yaw'all so much for everyone's troubleshooting !!!

Last edited by freedomreader; 01-30-2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #13
MyronS
MyronS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
To THE DUCKS,
Thanks for your advice. The Table of Contents somehow changed to a free floating box which hide some of the text in the viewer. Your suggestion to drag to the left and double click worked.

Thanks again

MyronS
MyronS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook toolbar, toc pane