Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
Katiesue
Enthusiast
Katiesue is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook
Rookie needs tech help

While I've had my cybook gen 3 since Jun 2008, I've never done anything on it, but download mobi files from this site to read and update the firmware.

I am going to purchase a Kindle and give my Cybook to a friend who leads tours in Europe in the summer. He will load his tour info (intinerary, hotel phones and addresses, contact phone numbers, etc) on the Cybook and it will save him from having to carry a bulky binder with all the trip info. I would like to show him how to do this but I don't have a clue. I started by typing some test documents in Microsoft Word, saving them as pdfs and then loading the pdf on the Cybook. When I try and open the doc I get an "error while opening this document" message.

I looked around on the forums and didn't see where to get some guidance, although knowing this site, I am sure it is here. If someone could give me some guidance or point me in the right direction, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks all....
Katiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
Mange
Enthusiast
Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mange has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS650, T1, Kindle touch, PocketBook Touch
Hi Katiesue,

I've transfered files from my computer to a Gen3 and it has worked without a problem.
So I'm guessing what has happened in your case is either that Word has exported some hidden formatting that the Gen 3 doesn't accept (Word is prone to causing problem like this when exporting to other soft- and hardware) or maybe the pdf created by Word isn't Adobe compatible. Or both.

Something to try:
Type some documents in Wordpad instead and save them as .txt or .rtf. Those formats shouldn't be any problem for the Gen3 to read.
There's also a lot less possibility for some strange code to be generated in the process.

If you have Atlantis or the means to get it you could even make epub-documents for the Gen3. But that means you have to upgrade the ereader first.

Good luck,
Mange
Mange is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Upgrade the Gen3, so it can read epub.

Use Sigil to create all the necessary documents, which will be in epub format.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote