Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Found a way to read imp files on my iLiad

I have hundreds of imp files that I used to read on my EBookwise 1150.

I have been experimenting and discovered that I can create a pdf file from an imp file:

Tools used:

PDF Creator (Free)

EBook Publisher from EBook Technologies (free)

The imp file had been made using EBook Publisher.
(Many readers create imp files using Librarian - I have never used this programme so I don't know if Librarian Imp files would work).

Open the imp file in the eBook viewer that comes with eBook Publisher.

Select File/Print and select the PDF Creator printer (Properties Portrait and A5)

The resulting PDF file can be read on the iLiad and on a PC. It's not exactly the best resolution but it's readable. It's the only way I have found of converting imp files so far to any format.

The text is actually better than that depicted in the pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04 iLiad showing imp file pdf.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	2788   Click image for larger version

Name:	05 iLiad showing imp file pdf.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	2789   Click image for larger version

Name:	06 iLiad showing imp file pdf.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	2790  

Last edited by Moonraker; 02-04-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Awesome! Thanks!

Now we just need a utility to fold in any annotations made on the 1150 so they can appear in the PDF on the iLiad.

Hang on-- is printing disabled in the reader sw for protected imp files? (Not that most of mine are, but it seems likely that it would be.)

Also, having created this PDF file, one could conceivably then run it through OCR software, if one wanted some format other than PDF, or even just wanted to improve the resolution of the PDF file. The usual OCR caveats would apply, of course.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2007, 05:53 AM   #3
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Thanks for your OCR suggestion.

I have been trying this out this morning and find that Abbyy Fine Reader 8 reads these pdf files beautifully. The results seem even better than scanning a paper book.

I always make my imp files so they can be read with a large or a small font.
I am pleased to say that Abbyy handles both equally well.

I find it better to use the text tool to surround the text I want AFR to read rather than telling AFR to read the whole page.

The screen capture below shows AFR result on a smaller text pdf with no editing required at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AFR Screen Cap.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	2792  

Last edited by Moonraker; 02-05-2007 at 05:57 AM.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote