Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: If you have a large collection, have you read every book?
I have read every book 24 8.92%
I have not read every book, but I plan to 157 58.36%
I am not concerned with reading every book, I just like collecting 69 25.65%
I do not have a large collection 9 3.35%
Other 10 3.72%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2010, 06:02 AM   #16
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
In my case, I like to have a choice, and have the books as easy to reach and as independent from the Net as possible. So I keep books on hard drive, and load as many as I can on e-reader.
If I planned to read every one of them, I'd be getting frustrated that I don't have much choice when almost all are read, and would probably stop reading them completely, as there would be many books I added to collection on the whim and don't really have much of a desire to read.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 07:16 AM   #17
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
We have a large e book collection and really set out to read every one of them, however, if the author doesn't hook us in the first 10 pages or so,we don't read the rest of it. We download previews of most books that seem interesting but when it's not the first chapter or beginning pages, we usually don't buy the book. That's like a movie trailer that is interesting but the rest of the movie is junk.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #18
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I'm sure there are authors and books in my collection that I will never get around to.
Nor will I lose any sleep over it if I do not.

However for the most part I collect things that I wish to read.
I have about 4,000 books on my reader and I am chewing my way through them one at a time.

I voted "other because I am somewhere in-between your 2 choices.

I have not read every book, but I plan to.

"I mostly read what I collect, and mostly collect what I like to read, but stuff accumulates"

I am not concerned with reading every book, I just like collecting
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:33 AM   #19
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I think I'm kind of a combination. I have to admit I get a weird sense of satisfaction out of the collecting and completion of sets. I have a good number of books that I just like to own, even if I never do get around to reading them. I also love the ability to go book browsing right in my own home instead of having to drive over to Borders and buy or order from Amazon and wait ... I just cruise through my Calibre and looking for my next good read and I have it instantly.

But .... I very rarely add a book that I don't want to read at least someday. That mythical day in the future where I'll have unlimited reading time available.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #20
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Looking at Calibre it seems like I have over 900 books but over half of those are RTF files of fanfiction. Actual book number is about 350 and I've read over 3/4 (of course some of those were pbacks and since they are PD classics, I'll probably not read them again).
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #21
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
At the moment, I have approx. 3000 eBooks and 8 bookcases of paper books. I haven't read all of these yet, but I plan on reading them. I collect eBooks by authors, those are read as they are acquired. I am slowly collecting books (I've already read) that are favorites; like Zane Grey, Burroughs, Bronte, etc. I download non-fiction that relates to my personal interests, geology, mineralogy, etc. I download a lot of the free and C.C. Stuff that is how Ifind new authors.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #22
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
  1. I have ~900 e-books in my CyBook;
  2. Some I had already read (classics of some sort) --liked the idea to have them close at hand;
  3. I own ~2000 p-books ; did read them all.
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #23
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I just wish I had the time to read all the books I have on my reader... But I also like to re-read my books. I'll probably read most of the books I download (at least all those I bought, probably not all of those I downloaded for free), but just don't ask me when
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #24
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I think I'm kind of a combination. I have to admit I get a weird sense of satisfaction out of the collecting and completion of sets. I have a good number of books that I just like to own, even if I never do get around to reading them. I also love the ability to go book browsing right in my own home instead of having to drive over to Borders and buy or order from Amazon and wait ... I just cruise through my Calibre and looking for my next good read and I have it instantly.

But .... I very rarely add a book that I don't want to read at least someday. That mythical day in the future where I'll have unlimited reading time available.
This is me exactly. I have just under 600 books in my Calibre library, and every book I download (purchased or free) I do have an interest in reading someday, but life tends to get in the way and at this point I've only read about 1/3 of what I have. The fact that I have 400 or so books that I haven't read doesn't keep me from continuing to buy more, though!
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:38 AM   #25
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
e-book hoarders Too funny but too true.

I have had my reader for a few weeks now and on average I finish a couple of books a day. (I took speed reading in grade school in the 50's) Before my ebook reader, speed reading was a handicap as I couldn't go to work in any town that didn't have a library

Now I have too may books and too little time but I am loving it.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #26
Yayafava
Yayafava is on a distinguished road

Device: JBL
I collect a large variety of books, not only fo rme but also for my sisters, broother in law, nieces, grandchildren (of various ages), and anyone I think would enjoy reading them. I have found a lot of interesting stuff on Project Gutenberg that I read and then have a relative or friend interested in the same material and then we have some rather fine discussions. I love doing the storybooks/picture books with my grandchkldren.. Those I usually put on the computer for them and I read from my reader to them. I will be with 6 or more of my grandchildren this summer and having a new reading experience going on with them. I also have a bunch of audiobooks that we will be listening to. I am thinking of calling it the summer of the books.
Yayafava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #27
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I began eReading in 2003. I now own just over 200 ebooks, and according to my Good Reads and Delicious Library counts, I have read over 400 library eBooks (downloaded from the eNYPL and my local library recently added Overdrive's service, too). Plus pBooks (library and owned) over those years is another 300.

I have read (or started and decided not to finish), all but 60 of that total. So I'm averaging about 2 books a week, which seems about right.

I don't collect to collect - I collect to read.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #28
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBong View Post
Really? I maybe read a book a week, which im sure is slow compared to many here (and can differ greatly depending on how busy I am) but I would guess more than the average person. But at a book a week that 500 would be about 10 years worth of books!

edit. Although I guess I am only 23 so 500 books seems like a lot!
I'm 46. 500 books is still a lot, but ten years seems shorter

I've been reading ebooks for about seven years. My library contains just over 1800 ebooks that I've bought. I've read just over 1300 of those. (Hmm... about three a week or so.)

So I have about three year's worth of reading material to hand. Life is good!

Of course, I'll probably be buying a few books during that three years, although I'm trying not to buy any until after 8th May, and after that I'm going to try to only buy one for every two or three I read.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #29
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
I have between seven and eight hundred ebooks accumulated over the last 10-11 years, and have read all but three or four (some several times). Also 6 or 7 boxes of paperbacks, some of which duplicate some of the ebooks, and all but maybe 8 or 10 of which I've read. And of course there are the ebooks I deleted and the hard copies I've sold or traded, so the grand total is anybody's guess.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #30
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I started reading ebooks in November of 2008. I have 1250, which are a combination of bought, free and library. I have read 273 of those. So at about 175 a year, I could conceivable winnow down my TBR list in about eight years. Of course, that would mean I would have to stop downloading books! I have lots of books - and I can't stop buying new books. But then, I have about 6 floor to ceiling bookcases of pbooks, paperbacks double shelved. I bought those because I was afraid I wouldn't have money to buy books when I was old. Between my ebook stash, my pbook stash and my yarn stash, I should be okay, even if I am eating cat food.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote