Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-12-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
clegsr
clegsr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
ebookstore in the UK opens new window

hi everyone,

I just got one of these readers as a present and I have installed the sony ereader software and Adobe digital editions but I am puzzled as to the behaviour of the ebookstore button in the sony software.

When I click on the Ebookstore button in the left pane I get a page on the right hand side with links to WHSmith (UK bookstore), Waterstones (UK boosktore), Mills & Boon (another one) and a link to register my reader at Sony.

If I click on any of the links then my internet explorer browser opens over the top of the reader software and I get the relevant web page.

So the web page does not open in the reader software window but in a normal browser window.

I am nervous of buying my first book in case the software is not working properly because I assumed the ereader software would work like Itunes and keep everything in the same window.

This could be because I am in the UK and the ebookstore doesn't work here - so can anyone advise please?

thanks
clegsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:32 AM   #2
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Don't worry about what you are seeing as thats the correct behavior of the reader software when set as UK.

I don't bother clicking on any of those link and instead use my web browser to go directly to an ebook store and purchase my books.

The only ebook store that will be displayed in the reader software itself is the Sony Reader store, and only if you set the reader software to US. I only do this to download free books from them.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 05:35 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What you're seeing is entirely normal. If you're outside North America, there is no Sony eBook store - you just use Waterstones, W.H. Smiths, or whatever other bookshop you fancy, in your normal web browser. No need to use the EBL software at all to get there - just open it directly in your browser.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
clegsr
clegsr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Thanks People!
you are right, I rang sony support and they confirmed that this is normal behaviour in the UK.

I have just borrowed an ebook from Croydon library - very impressed...
clegsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Two things you might want to consider:

1. A safer browser. Which would be basically any other browser.

2. Calibre - it's much better ebook management software.
(just look down the forums a ways, it's got its own forum)
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Calibre is good, but sometimes using the sony software can be easier, especially if you are only managing a small library on the device or you like using simpler software. I fine the cleaner interface of the Sony software more convenient for loading my books on my PRS-600. I mainly use Calibre & Sigil for their conversion and editing functions, Windows Explorer handles my main ebook library management and the Sony Reader software sorts out my collections and transfering my books.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote