Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Rumor: Apple seen readying 7-inch iPad for early 2011

http://www.electronista.com/articles...reading.first/

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/d...-2011-2010048/

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/04/08/...ll-flash-less/

This is what I was hoping for with the original announcement...An all-in-one device that is as portable as my Kindle and PRS-505 (and easier to read than my phone).

(Sorry if this is already posted and it may have been as I saw it this morning...I did a quick search in this forum and didn't see).

Last edited by Boston; 04-08-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Cool for people that want it.

If anything I'd prefer a 12" model so large format PDFs were more viewable in portrait mode vs. having to read in landscape a 1/2 page at a time.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
The critics on these articles, seem to lukewarm about the possibility as well.

For me, it means a device that I can carry in my purse...easier to read/use than a phone (I can't use the smaller screen of the iPhone, or Nook, because of my longer nails).

Apple rumors are often more wishful thinking than reality...but I personally want something like this.

Last edited by Boston; 04-08-2010 at 10:36 PM.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #4
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
That is a ridiculous rumor imo.

I mean really, Apple just added a product which fills the smart phone to laptop niche. There is no way I'd carry a 7 inch iPad as well as my iPhone, too close size wise. I agree, if anything, I'd take another inch or two on the size of an iPad, not a reduction to near phone size.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
This would be more up my alley. Especially if the could price it closer to the touch's pricing.
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 03:17 AM   #6
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No way that is going to happen (well perhaps a little way ) because of apps. All apps for the ipad will be made with the 10 screen in consideration, and a 7 inch screen would cause many apps to be redone.
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:38 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
There is no way I'd carry a 7 inch iPad as well as my iPhone, too close size wise.
There's a very considerable difference in size; a 7" screen has 4x the display area of a 3.5" screen. I think personally that this would be an excellent compromise between size and portability.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:15 AM   #8
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
It's a nice size --- about the same as the original Newton MessagePad (and I still need to replace mine).

I'd be glad of it, and look forward to the competition in this space (apparently Dell is doing a 5" device called the Streak?).

Agree w/ Fugazied and dmaul that a larger iPad would also be welcome --- we'd get one here at work for the proofreaders if it would show a letter-sized page plus bleeds at 100%. Interestingly, that space has been collapsing and at least one person I know of has purchased an Axiotron Modbook to use as a Windows Tablet PC (since the Fujitsu Stylistic ST6012 seems to have been discontinued).

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
I wouldn't mind seeing a 6 - 7" screen size and wouldn't be surprised if Apple came out with one. After all, they already sell iPods and laptops in multiple sizes so why not iPad?

I was going to buy the iPad but I found it uncomfortable to hold one handed while trying to use the other hand to do stuff.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #10
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Well, that one I will buy. 10" with bezel was too much for me to consider carrying around. 7" inch would be perfect.

Last edited by dmikov; 04-09-2010 at 09:26 AM.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #11
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Cool for people that want it.

If anything I'd prefer a 12" model so large format PDFs were more viewable in portrait mode vs. having to read in landscape a 1/2 page at a time.
Dear, dmaul, that is probably the 817th post that I see where you telling that you need a device of no less then 12" to read pdf and bashing anything that's not.
I have Motion 1300 for 6+ years now, it has 12" screen and a tablet and it reads and annotates pdfs. I cannot use it, because god damn thing is too big to hold comfortably, but why you don't have it yet?
Is it apple-cool-aid you waiting for?
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #12
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
I guess that will be released on the same day as the iPhone with a 2.8" screen that has been predicted to be released in the near future for the past two years.

There won't be a 7" iPad. Ever. It just doesn't make any sense since it would lead to further hardware fragmentation (software would have to be redesigned) without any benefits at all. The iPad features a much bigger screen than the iPhone which opens up new possibilities; a 7" version would just be between an iPhone and the current iPad.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #13
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
I think that would be a great size.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #14
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I am not convinced that this rumor will turn out to be true. Would there be enough of a benefit to entice developers to develop for a THIRD class of device? Is there that much money being left on the table between the iPod Touch and the iPad?

I guess we'll see, but I'm skeptical of this one.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #15
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
It'd be nice if Apple just got off their backsides and announced the details of the International launch of the iPad they have currently.

I'm starting to suspect we're going to be slapped with a delay at the last minute.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote