Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

View Poll Results: No more iLiad as hand luggage. What will you do on your next trip?
Pack it into checked luggage (and hopefully sign an insurance) 6 19.35%
Leave it at home and go shopping for p-books at Borders 8 25.81%
Convince the airport guy that it's totally harmless 17 54.84%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Is the iLiad a weapon of terror? (poll)

Sure you all must have heard of the recent events at London airport Heathrow. A bunch of chicken-hearted terrorists have planned to blow up airplanes in flight from the UK to the US.

What's interesting is to observe the drastic short/long(?)-term measures airport security is going to take to prevent such a terror plot from happening.

Just forget about it if you plan on carrying your iLiad as hand luggage if you fly from Europe to the US these days. Notebook computers, digicams, etc. must go in check luggage. And so would your iLiad.

What should we do now? Do we have to go back to p-books again?
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:59 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I'd leave it at home and cry during the flight.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
Calabahn
Calabahn began at the beginning.

Device: V3I
It looks like TSA here in the states will let us still have our electronics, just no liquids or gels.
So no toothpaste or deodorant. We'll be a smelly lot; but we'll have our toys.
Calabahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ryan of Engadget also posted about the gadget ban, which is currently only in place in some parts of Europe: http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/10/t...an-of-gadgets/
Old 08-11-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

AFAIK this ban is only for 72h... Hopefully they'll relax it soon, otherwise everyone will start using Paris or Frankfurt as travel hubs for longer destinations...
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #6
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
paperbooks also banned. You are only allowed to on-fly audio/tv and on-fly high spirit liquors. Hmm what does it happens if I put the audio inside the liquor? Bah, never mind.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:35 PM   #7
High 5
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
High 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket ebook,Cybook, Hiebook, Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
I'd leave it at home and cry during the flight.

"Sir, we cannot allow you to cry during the flight, as you know liquids are strictly forbidden!"
High 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:15 PM   #8
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
ILiad's are not dangerous, its the people that want to blow up themselves and others that are dangerous.

Personally I feel it better to water the tree of liberty with the blood of a few innocent patriots being exploded than to surrender our liberties for a false sense of safety from barbarians. Find the barbarians and do unto them before they do unto us.

The government has learned to not negotiate with terrorists. But it still has yet to learn that by allowing barbarians to take our liberties they give them the power to change our society, even if their bombs don't go off...
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:21 PM   #9
oliverbogler
Connoisseur
oliverbogler has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
ILiad's are not dangerous, its the people that want to blow up themselves and others that are dangerous.

Personally I feel it better to water the tree of liberty with the blood of a few innocent patriots being exploded than to surrender our liberties for a false sense of safety from barbarians. Find the barbarians and do unto them before they do unto us.

The government has learned to not negotiate with terrorists. But it still has yet to learn that by allowing barbarians to take our liberties they give them the power to change our society, even if their bombs don't go off...

I agree. The next time they'll take away our watches - wasn't there a plot to use a digital watch to set off a bomb? For sure the next time they won't use liquids. Since Reed they have x-rayed several hundred million shoes...

Anyway - I am going to the UK at the beginning of Sep, and my iLiad will stay home for now. I do need to take my MacBookPro though, and am quite worred that I'll have to check it on the way home! Anyone ever done that (sorry, off the topic of iLiads...)
oliverbogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 04:55 AM   #10
Henry Loenwind
Enthusiast
Henry Loenwind is on a distinguished road

mmmh, these terrorists are surely recourcefull. What will be next? Bombs implanted into people, clothes prepared to release toxic fumes when ignited, martial arts attacks against windows?

Wouldn't it be easier if one big country would try to stop making enemies?
Henry Loenwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:04 AM   #11
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
OT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Loenwind
Wouldn't it be easier if one big country would try to stop making enemies?
From my point of view (=not living in said country) it would be easier.
But I have to say, I don't get whats going on in politics. It looks to me as when in every more or less democratic country the politicians work against the citizens.

Cut a little bit of privacy here, a little bit there, all for the "war against terrorism".

I better stop ranting now, if I write more, this for shure would have to go into a politics forum.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:33 AM   #12
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I think the limitations won't last too long...but I have to agree with the above two posters: the USA and Israel should stop messing around with the Msulim Countries.

I'm not Pro-Terrorist...and I doubt anyone here is...but I guess terrorism is the only way to go for the poor countries (they don't have a lot of modern military equipment) down there...anyting else and the US just send in a bunch of ariplanes and bomb everything to dust.

And I have to say one more thing for terrorists:
They're fair (going by a certain meaning of the word fair of course):

Germany didn't participate in the (unjustified) attack on Iraq and so far there has been no terrorist activity here, just like the other countries that said no to the USA get left in peace. Only thoses who supported America are in trobule now.

However, innocents always suffer, and the fact that a good friend of mine couldn't leave London on Thursday because of the whole business is just one small example. The people dying from terrorist attacks are usually not the ones who caused the whole mess...so that's where fairness stops unfortunately.

I'm sorry if I hurt anybodies feelings here, but this is really something I saw coming before the Iraq war even started...

Back to Gadgets:
Sooner or later authorities will have to realize that there is no way to secure airplanes and public places against terrorist attacks. You can make a bomb out of too many things, hide explosives in too many places...so I think the whol banning and searching process will be short-lived.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:02 AM   #13
High 5
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
High 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket ebook,Cybook, Hiebook, Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
The chances that you get on a plane with someone who is carrying a bomb is very, very small.
The chances that you get on a plane where two or more people who are unaware of each other get bombs on your plane, are practically zero.

So, to be on the safe side, logic dictates that you should always try to get a bomb on a plane.
(as of now I am on a number of blacklists )
High 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:08 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

I understand this is a sensitive topic so let's try to stick our focus on gadgets and airplanes, not politics.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:58 AM   #15
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If you decide to put it in your check luggage, David has a good suggestion how to protect your e-book reader from a potential total fallout: the Otterbox.

Otterboxes are crushproof and waterproof up to 100 feet deep (which is hopefully not so important on an airplane). I am not sure which one would be the right fit for the iLiad, but the 2000 model seems alright.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote