Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 04:51 AM   #16
rvdparis
Connoisseur
rvdparis doesn't litterrvdparis doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch + iPad 1 + iPhone 4
mwheinz's solution worked (except I did not delete my prefs.plist file nor the Marlin folder). After deleting them and securely deleting trash, and reinstalling the software, it worked...the window came back. I don't have time to to check to see if I am still authorized...but all my books are gone...I guess I can just add them again??? Thanks. R
rvdparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #17
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Glad to hear it - and, yes, you should be able to just add them again.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdparis View Post
This happened to me last night. I was working fine with the software and then when I minimized it to my dock, suddenly it was gone!!!
That's interesting. When you minimize it, did it put an icon on the right side of the dock? Some "Mac" apps that are ports aren't real Mac apps, so they don't always work will. Did eXpose show the window?

BTW: I never minimize apps on my Mac, I always "hide" them (Cmd-H) because if you minimize them and you use the Cmd-Tab app switcher it doesn't maximize them automatically... something about Mac OS X I don't like. There is even an app out to be able to switch based on Windows rather than apps that helps with this. http://www.manytricks.com/witch/

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #19
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Some "Mac" apps that are ports aren't real Mac apps, so they don't always work well.
Does anyone know what language eBook Library is actually written in? I had assumed it was Java from it's run time behavior, but it doesn't look that way.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:38 AM   #20
rvdparis
Connoisseur

I want to raise this issue again.

The Sony eBook Library software for OSX is impossible to work with. It doesn't just crash, it disappears (as mentioned in this thread earlier). It is running, but there is no GUI, or window. I reinstalled it twice already. Is it a problem that only I am having? Or is this a known issue? Is it tested for Snow Leopard?
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 07:42 AM   #21
mwheinz
award-winning bozo

I haven't had that particular problem, but there is no doubt that the eBook Library software is awful.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I want to raise this issue again.

The Sony eBook Library software for OSX is impossible to work with. It doesn't just crash, it disappears (as mentioned in this thread earlier). It is running, but there is no GUI, or window. I reinstalled it twice already. Is it a problem that only I am having? Or is this a known issue? Is it tested for Snow Leopard?
This is a known issue if your Mac is not set to US or Canada as region. I think there are a few people who had that issue even on US region Macs though.

I am able to run it on SL without a problem.

BOb
Old 11-06-2009, 04:19 AM   #23
rvdparis
Connoisseur

I "chatted" with Sony support a couple of days ago, and the solution was to go into System Preferences and UNBLOCK the eBook Library software (there were 2 processes on my Mac, eBookLibrary and eBookLibrary Launcher) from connecting to the Internet behind my firewall. Despite the fact that I did this, the application still asks me for permission to connect, so not sure if I unblocked everything that needed to be unblocked (I do use Stealth mode in OSX).

I reinstalled the app (trashing only the fsk folder) and it has been working since. The Sony rep claimed this was a new issue, but I knew better I liberally cited the MobileRead forum for his information...

Thanks for the help...R.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #24
kiwibob
kiwibob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by justiin View Post
..... is that you also need to change System Preferences - Language & Text - Formats. Change Formats to United States.
After many re-installations and reboots this was exactly what was needed to get it working (i.e. to get any ebooklibrary windows to appear on my Macbook). I bought the PRS-600 in the UK so you might have thought that UK would be the right format. Apparently not.

I was able to return to the correct 'Format' after installing and the software has continued working. You'd have thought this would be a simple fix.

(note I was uninstalling with appzapper so did not need to go through the hoops others went through)

Thanks Justiin for spelling out what needed to be done. Happy reading.
kiwibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwibob View Post
(note I was uninstalling with appzapper so did not need to go through the hoops others went through)
I use the free apptrap it is well worth the money I paid for it.

BOb
Old 11-07-2009, 12:51 AM   #26
karinc
Enthusiast
karinc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Quote:
So, if I get this straight, I need to trash all the preferences and the app, and reinstall it again? Or I need to change my region settings...? If I do that, I have to go through the whole registration process AGAIN??? R

It's been a few weeks since I did this, but try just trashing the prefs and app etc. and reinstall. I never changed my region - it was right all along - so I don't know about that, or how that would affect your registration. Sorry!!

Good luck!
karinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:47 AM   #27
rvdparis
Connoisseur

Well it crashed again. Right after I updated Snow Leopard to 10.6.2. I had to reinstall the whole thing (uninstall first, reboot, install, reboot). I chatted again with Sony tech support. They were worthless. I summed it up for them: If the eBook Library Software is dysfunctional in OSX, it's either because 1. you have it blocked behind a firewall or 2. you updated your OSX installation.

Could anyone confirm this? Or deny it?

The technician gave me these websites:

What to do if you are unable to open the eBook Library Software: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1009711

NOTE: the page is out of date; since Leopard, I think, you can't go to International in the System Preferences, because it doesn't exist there anymore. I noted this to the technician.

How to back up library: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...rnalId=C515630

How to uninstall: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/m...00%20145176420
Old 11-13-2009, 10:50 AM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
What to do if you are unable to open the eBook Library Software: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1009711
Gee... they could have coppied that right from one of our threads here.

I haven't tired eBook library since I upgraded to 10.6.2... If I remember I will when I get home.

BOb

Tags
sony ebook library