Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 11-26-2009, 12:10 AM   #1
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
An All Around Reader?

Since my plans to get a true e-book reading device has been postponed for an unforeseeable amount of time, I've been experimenting with different e-readers for my computer. I've glanced through the forums finding the general recommendations, but none really seem to meet what I'm looking for.

What I'm looking for really is just a e-reader that can read all my books. My books range into all different formats and while I guess it wouldn't be too hard to get separate programs for each of them, that just seems much more hassle then I want for just reading my books. So an all around reader that can handle as many formats as possible is what I'm looking for.

That is my main request. Other than that I really am not looking for anything in particular, something simple and fast would be nice, as well as being able to reflow my books to help the reading process, but again I'm looking for something to handle the majority of e-book file types.

Thanks for any help.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If the ebooks have DRM (encryption), then you have to use multiple readers (or strip the DRM).

For DRM-free ebooks there are two popular choices:
  • FBReader works on Windows and Linux (and there is an unsupported version for Macs). It is a pure reader, with some cataloging capability.
  • Calibre is a comprehensive ebook application. It includes a reader, and it works on all desktop systems.
I use Calibre for format shifting, but I like FBReader for reading. Note that it does not honor all ebook formating, but rather uses your preferences across all ebook types. Because FBReader is so highly customizable, you really need to experiment with its settings before deciding if you like it or not - the defaults are not to everyone's liking. FBReader is also available on several EInk reading devices (e.g. PocketBook and OpenInkPot), and Android phones, and Linux handhelds.

Note that finding a Reading app you like and shifting all your ebooks to its supported format via Calibre is also an option. This greatly expands the number of Reader apps to choose from. Windows MobiPocket Reader has a built in conversion option for a few formats, but Calibre is typically a better way to do conversions.

Last edited by wallcraft; 11-26-2009 at 12:42 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
AgentBEATS
Connoisseur
AgentBEATS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nintendo DS, HTC Desire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If the ebooks have DRM (encryption), then you have to use multiple readers (or strip the DRM).

For DRM-free ebooks there are two popular choices:
  • FBReader works on Windows and Linux (and there is an unsupported version for Macs). It is a pure reader, with some cataloging capability.
  • Calibre is a comprehensive ebook application. It includes a reader, and it works on all desktop systems.
I use Calibre for format shifting, but I like FBReader for reading. Note that it does not honor all ebook formating, but rather uses your preferences across all ebook types. Because FBReader is so highly customizable, you really need to experiment with its settings before deciding if you like it or not - the defaults are not to everyone's liking. FBReader is also available on several EInk reading devices (e.g. PocketBook and OpenInkPot), and Android phones, and Linux handhelds.

Note that finding a Reading app you like and shifting all your ebooks to its supported format via Calibre is also an option. This greatly expands the number of Reader apps to choose from. Windows MobiPocket Reader has a built in conversion option for a few formats, but Calibre is typically a better way to do conversions.
That actually works, since I have been playing around with Calibre quite a bit. Although I find it's own reader to be rather sluggish. I'll look into FBReader then, thanks for the help. Although from what I know about FBReader it doesn't support as many file types as I hoped, but I guess it would be rather difficult to find one that does.

My books are mainly without DRM, mostly because I don't like to buy books with DRM and also because I've stripped the DRM from the ones that I do have because it allowed me to use it with more programs and devices.

Last edited by AgentBEATS; 11-26-2009 at 01:07 AM.
AgentBEATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
The other very versatile PC ebook readers are Stanza and microBook (GowerPoint.com). Both read a wide variety of formats. microBook is also available on WinCE, while Stanza is also available on iPhone.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote