Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
mirakix
Enthusiast
mirakix will become famous soon enoughmirakix will become famous soon enoughmirakix will become famous soon enoughmirakix will become famous soon enoughmirakix will become famous soon enoughmirakix will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-700
How the E-Book will change our ways...

How the E-Book Will Change the Way We Read and Write

Very well written article from the Wall Street Journal.
mirakix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Interesting article. I don't entirely agree with it, but it makes interesting reading. Thanks for posting it.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I certainly have to agree with the comments on impulse buying - there's nothing easier than that "One click" moment. Perhaps someone will write an app that would display your credit card balance before allowing you to click!

I also agree with the observation of how easy it is to stop or interrupt your reading to move on to another title. I have many partially read books on my Kindle. But then, I also have a pile of pbooks with bookmarks by my recliner.

I think the real key point of the article is the emphasis on increasing the availablility of titles - not only instant gratification with Whispernet ordering, but the vast sea of ebook titles out there. What we do with them, and how we deal with them, individually and as a society, remains to be seen.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I think impulsive buy happens when it's a novelty, I have the same impulse at Fictionwise (e-books) or BookDepository (PB), I leave the same both types of books. When your cc begins to cry, the impulse usually disappears.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
reading in starts and bits

I would think that the average reader doesn't necassarily sit down and read a whole book at a time. I think that alot of people read more than 1 book at a time.

I would say the serious reader who sits down and focuses on reading a book for hours at a time would be more rare than the person that reads for half an hour while they are waiting to do something else.

I think impulse buying will not go away, that is why they have all that stuff at the supermarket at the checkout, a chance to grab you before you leave the store, I am sure that ebook marketers will work on coming up with something similar.

I did like that he pointed out the difficulty of page numbering in ebooks. It will be interesting to see how it resolves, perhaps through numbering of the paragraphs? Either through the whole book or by chapter?

Overall a good article.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert