Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
x3oo
Enthusiast
x3oo began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
wikipedia on bebook

does the bebook or other firmwares for hanlin support mobipocket with index-files so that you can use wikipedia offline?
x3oo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:19 AM   #2
PaweL_L
Greetings from Poland :-)
PaweL_L began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
I tried the Webster dictionary in prc format from this site and it worked fine, including index.
PaweL_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 04:50 AM   #3
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
I also use wikimedia for easy information. This would help a lot thanks!
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:28 AM   #4
oddity
oddity began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook/V3
see also this

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...315#post446315
oddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:49 AM   #5
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Smile

Frank Burkhardt is the German author of mobipocket ports of Wikipedia in several languages, available freely on his site:
http://pinguinburg.de/wpmp

The older German versions work on my Lbook, and they work perfectly. I use the very rich March 2005 version 1.6 in German thanks to the latest Lbook firmware. It is perfectly indexed, and searchable thanks to the virtual keyboard that appears on the screen (go to index, and once in the index press OK and then 1 to search in the index. It would be perfect if opening Wikipedia put us directly in that virtual keyboard mode). The links that appear in one article, e.g. the highlighted words linking to other articles, work exactly like in the real online Wikipedia! It is very impressive! And free!

All the recent versions of Wikipedia on his site are split into several files because Wikipedia has become too big to fit in one file apparently. But that reason should be checked. The one-file version I use is 329 MB big!

The old versions of Wikipedia in German (the ones that work) are available here:
http://www.axelschaefermdb.de/service/wikipedia.html

Here is the little thing he asked the programmers of Mobipocket on their forum a couple of years ago:
http://www.mobipocket.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=32971
But they refused to make the links between several files work in the new version of their software, like they used to work in the older versions written for other products!
Here is the list of the differences between the two major versions of Mobipocket:
http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/articl...File=cross.htm

My new hope now is FBreader.
There are discussions on their list.

They recently added support for Mobipocket.

What we can do:
- register on the Mobipocket forum and add our voices to that of Frank in the discussion he started
- register in the FBreader group on google and ask them if they can please add the support for links between files
- offer a Hanlin reader to Frank to get him on board with us, and very very motivated to find a solution to get recent versions of Wikipedia in many languages work on our favorite reader. Note that he is also working on other projects of interest to us, like making the very best free english-german dictionary (Ding (available in Linux)) mobipocket friendly.
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert