Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-01-2016, 04:13 AM   #1
John68
John68 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
After disappearing of books and jailbreak now frozen screen

Hello there,

I face some troubles with my paperwhite 2. I had a similar problem as described in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=277668

And I was not able to solve this issue (I also tried all the things previously described in the thread, my PW2 is always on airplane mode but out of the blue, my PW2 decided not to display its current content anymore).

So I decided (not sure if it was a smart decision) to jailbreak it. The jailbreak worked out fine. After the jailbreak, I wanted to add the KULA as a display option and installed it (KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2). I had the not so smart idea to chose the "restart Kindle" option out of the dropdown menu before letting the kindle update the new software.

Currently the PW2 is stuck in a frozen mode. It shows the initial start page with the person on the hill reading. The problem is that the PW2 wont show up as a USB device on the computer anymore. I tried in different operating systems, but neither recognizes the PW2 as a USB device anymore.
I also let the battery get completely empty, hoping that this might allow access to the PW2 on a computer. But it also does not work.

And the (soft and hard) reboot of the system does reboot the screen but it also ends up with the person on the hill.

Any ideas for help? I would really really appreciate it! Only now realized how much this PW2 actually means to me.
John68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:23 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the dev forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2016, 05:25 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The best thing to do with a frozen Kindle is to connect it to a wall charger and leave it there for several days. If something's happened which has triggered a rebuild of the file system this can take several days to complete.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:27 AM   #4
John68

Thank you for your response. And I would leave it charged for all this time?
Old 09-01-2016, 05:33 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, leave it connected to a wall charger the entire time.
Advert
Old 09-01-2016, 08:29 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Please give a link to the jail break instructions that you followed.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:54 AM   #7
John68

I appreciate all your help. Found out that there was a major technical defect and the ebook reader is no longer usable.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:03 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What specifically is the major defect?
Old 09-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #9
John68

Apparently, there was a RAM issue. But I do not know the specific details. Even after 2 days of constant charging, the display would still remain at the "low battery"-logo.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:21 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

How did you determine that the RAM is faulty?
Old 09-03-2016, 08:27 AM   #11
John68

An IT guy did it for me. He ran some diagnostics on it.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

OK. Sorry to hear that. Sounds as if you need a new reader.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by John68 View Post
An IT guy did it for me. He ran some diagnostics on it.
Oh, he did, did he?
We would very much like to know about them.

Did your "IT guy" have to open the Kindle's case?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote