Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Smile Debian on Paperwhite [video]

Hello!

Just wanted to share something with you

If someone wants, I can try to provide patches I used. It's just chrooted Debian with Xephyr launched on main X server (with proper window name) and everything else launched inside that Xephyr server. I've used Matchbox as DE and patched matchbox-desktop to work as I want and to provide finger scrolling with libmokoui2 from Openmoko. I had to compile few things by myself as they weren't available in Debian repositories (but were in Ubuntu or Maemo, so it was easy to compile them for Debian armel).

In future I want to be able to send Debian to background and display some small, non-intrusive window in case of notifications (new message of smth).
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Huge karma
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I am impressed! I was able to almost triple dos1's karma even after twobob gave the "huge karma". The combination of many posts, and a large karma, allows me to do that...

I am most definately looking forward to playing with that.

Detailed build instructions would be most helpful. I am rather a noob at building linuxish things that need libraries and stuff... I prefer talking directly to the hardware, or as close as I can get, so I am going to need a bit more handholding than some others around here...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #4
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I am impressed! I was able to almost triple dos1's karma even after twobob gave the "huge karma". The combination of many posts, and a large karma, allows me to do that...

I am most definately looking forward to playing with that.

Detailed build instructions would be most helpful. I am rather a noob at building linuxish things that need libraries and stuff... I prefer talking directly to the hardware, or as close as I can get, so I am going to need a bit more handholding than some others around here...
I couldn't give any karma, hence the verbal.

My current EPIC build of libwebkit for the 3 would be your worst nightmare come on Midori...
Old 11-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Debian Sid installed with multistrap - http://wiki.debian.org/Multistrap

Compiled packages:

* moko-gtk-engine
(rebuilt from hackable:1 repo - http://build.hackable1.org/debian/di..._armel.changes)
* libmokoui2
(rebuild from Ubuntu repo - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libmokoui2)
* matchbox-panel-2
(packaged by copying /debian directory from matchbox-panel package and adjusting it a bit, sources: https://github.com/yoctoproject-mirr...tchbox-panel-2)

Modified packages from Debian:

* matchbox-desktop
(patched to enable standalone mode, remove games from root directory [yup, it's hardcoded :P], provide finger scrolling and to fix annoying bug with launching app on mouse release even if pointer is far outside primarily selected app)
* matchbox-keyboard
(enabled build of panel applet - it was disabled due to matchbox-panel-2 dependency which is not available in Debian)

Packages from Debian repositories (including pkg-fso repo):

* matchbox-window-manager
* matchbox-keyboard-im
* sgt-puzzles
* xserver-xephyr
* vala-terminal

My themes and scripts:

* Matchbox theme is a modified ffportrait theme from matchbox-theme-finger-friendly package from Debian FSO repo (http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianFSO). Unpack ffportraitdos.tar.gz to /usr/share/themes
* GTK+ theme is based on Moko theme which is packaged with moko-engine. Replace /usr/share/themes/Moko/gtk-2.0/gtkrc file with gtkrc.Moko, and put gtkrc file to /etc/gtk-2.0/

* start-x and stop-x are supposed to be in Debian /usr/bin/ directory. Remember to change user name in start-x (su dos).
* session goes to Debian /etc/matchbox/
* stopx.desktop goes to Debian /usr/share/applications

* debian.sh is a bit modified script found somewhere here for "booting" chrooted Debian. You may want to adjust path inside it if your differs from mine. I have it in Kindle /mnt/us/
* launch-debian.sh launches Xephyr and Matchbox inside it. It's supposed to be installed on Kindle OS and executed by some shortcut or search bar command.

In case I forgot something just yell at me

Download: http://dosowisko.net/kindle/debian/

I'll provide sources for my modifications as soon as I clean up packaging a bit - now it contains dozens of patches for just tweaking some values, as I was doing "dpkg-source --commit" at each change for easy build with debuild

I hope I got everything correctly ;x

Useful docs for building Debian packages for armel:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner
http://yoush.homelinux.org:8079/tech...el-qemubuilder

So... enjoy! In case of problems or other questions, just ask

PS. And in case you like ponies, here's my screensaver set: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/31m29lgrp00wdxa/-fEGaacueA
Advert
Old 11-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
twobob

can you share the Xephyr build and libs please? thanks
Old 11-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
dos1
20% cooler.

I just used regular Debian package - http://packages.debian.org/sid/xserver-xephyr

Xephyr supports -title parameter, so it's running in regular X server from Kindle without any modifications.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
I just used regular Debian package - http://packages.debian.org/sid/xserver-xephyr

Xephyr supports -title parameter, so it's running in regular X server from Kindle without any modifications.
good man
Old 11-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
twobob

I was just piggybacking Xvfb for this exact purpose. Xephyr will solve my input issues I believe. Thanks mate.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
twobob

would you mind sharing your initial apt stanza?

that would be helpful. thanks : )
Old 11-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
dos1
20% cooler.

Sorry, but what do you mean by "apt stanza"?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #12
twobob

Quote:
[General]
unpack=true
debootstrap=Grip
aptsources=Debian

[Grip]
packages=ntpdate udev lrzsz netcat telnetd
source=http://www.emdebian.org/grip
keyring=emdebian-archive-keyring
suite=sid-grip

[Debian]
packages=
source=http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian
keyring=debian-archive-keyring
suite=sid
Something like that. : )

(I am looking to add the fso stuff now I guess too, thanks)

Last edited by twobob; 11-04-2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #13
dos1
20% cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Something like that. : )

(I am looking to add the fso stuff now I guess too, thanks)
Oh, this one. Your quoted config is ok, you'll add other repos later, after installation.

When you're done, chroot into it on device and create file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/fso.list with content:
Code:
deb http://pkg-fso.alioth.debian.org/debian unstable main
Then just apt-get update and you're ready
Old 11-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
aranwe
Enthusiast
aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!aranwe , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Touch
this is just brilliant ... anyone tried it on K5? ... great job
aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #15
dos1
20% cooler.

It should work on Touch, but some minor modifications will be needed (for instance size of Xephyr window and DPI settings)

But I don't own Touch, so I couldn't try it. Do it and tell us results

PS. I'll prepare repository with meta package for automatic installation of this environment, so getting it to work will be much easier. I'll include full sources for every patch together with it (now must wait for friend to became online, cause he was kind enough to give me his CPU time for qemu building and all sources are on his PC )

Tags
debian, kindle, paperwhite