Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
paskybond
paskybond began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Question Converted format files on the Kobo - how do they look?

Hello!

I've been trying to decide whether to get a Kindle touch or a Kobo Touch, and I think I'm settled on the Kobo - the Kindle was attractive because I sometimes get Amazon vouchers and they also have more weird/obscure books in their library, but when I found out that Kindle files can be converted to Kobo format I decided it was a no-brainer as it is so much cheaper than the Kindle (in the UK, anyway).

But my question is - how do the files look when you've converted them? If anyone uses Calibre here, how do you find it? Does all the formatting come through intact?

I have also read that on the Kobo, you can only highlight text in a book (or add a note?) if it is in a certain format - I got a bit lost about which though. Is that the native Kobo format? Would you be able to highlight text or add notes to a file that had been converted from Kindle format?

Thanks so much for your advice - hope it's good news cos I think the Kindle looks like a right stinker, what a horrible grey colour!

paskybond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paskybond View Post
Hello!

I've been trying to decide whether to get a Kindle touch or a Kobo Touch, and I think I'm settled on the Kobo - the Kindle was attractive because I sometimes get Amazon vouchers and they also have more weird/obscure books in their library, but when I found out that Kindle files can be converted to Kobo format I decided it was a no-brainer as it is so much cheaper than the Kindle (in the UK, anyway).

But my question is - how do the files look when you've converted them? If anyone uses Calibre here, how do you find it? Does all the formatting come through intact?

I have also read that on the Kobo, you can only highlight text in a book (or add a note?) if it is in a certain format - I got a bit lost about which though. Is that the native Kobo format? Would you be able to highlight text or add notes to a file that had been converted from Kindle format?

Thanks so much for your advice - hope it's good news cos I think the Kindle looks like a right stinker, what a horrible grey colour!

I haven't bought a book from Amazon yet, so I don't know how they look when converted to ePub, but once you've converted it to ePub, you can add notes, highlights and use the dictionary.

For info on how to remove Digital Rights Management (DRM) Google search Apprentice Alf.

Last edited by The Terminator; 03-04-2012 at 12:27 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
alexul
Connoisseur
alexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura about

Device: PB 360, Kobo Touch
Kindle books are DRM protected( like most of the books) so the conversion won't be a 2 click operation. There are different softwares which they say they remove the protection, but haven't tried them. I also read that books downloaded to the computer are hardly to unprotect than those downloaded to a Kindle device. So make sure you actually succeed to unprotect an amazon book before buying a reader.
My girlfriend has a kindle and I bought a few books from her device and then unprotected them and read on kobo. They look identically so no quality is loss.
alexul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
paskybond
paskybond began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks, that's really helpful. I'm definitely going to get the Kobo then, if you can highlight and annotate any ePub. It looks like stripping the DRM is going to be really tricky though. Thanks again!
paskybond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by paskybond View Post
Thanks, that's really helpful. I'm definitely going to get the Kobo then, if you can highlight and annotate any ePub. It looks like stripping the DRM is going to be really tricky though. Thanks again!
It's not tricky at all, if you google Apprentice Alf

You can always "buy" a free book from Amazon and try it out. Once you have your software set up, it really is a couple step process.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Shankill
Nameless Being

As digiSara said, no trick at all to it. Naturally, we can't discuss such methods, but there's an automatic method involving Calibre that exists.

As for reformatting, I buy maybe 10 or 15% of my books from the Amazon store (usually when it's unavailable elsewhere or much cheaper from Amazon), and Calibre's conversion from MOBI to EPUB is actually really good. There's usually nothing to tip me off as to which ones are converted from MOBI and which ones were originally EPUB, so from my experience, I'd say you can safely go for the Kobo and enjoy books from everywhere.