Notices

Old 03-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #31
looser
looser began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch SO
In this archive are changed reader.pref and my reader.pref.bak
Before:

After^

Copy reader.pref at the root directory (/mnt/us)
Start USBNetwork, connect cable, start ssh-client and
Code:
cp /mnt/us/reader.pref /var/local/java/prefs
Attached Files
File Type: zip reader.pref.zip (398 Bytes, 491 views)
looser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #32
cristi1848
cristi1848 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Thanks looser

I used the file provided by looser and it worked. The margins are smaller now, so

Now, I would like to make the margins even smaller. Does anybody know which bytes should be changed for left and right margins ? (I've seen ixtab's entry on the first page but in looser's file, the numbers for left and right are unchanged and it still works)

a note : if you change the 'words per line' setting from the menu, you have to copy the file again in /var/local/java/prefs.
cristi1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #33
ninki
Connoisseur
ninki began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin 6.1, Kindle 3, Kindle Touch, KPW3, KOA3
margin kindle touch

Hi,
Its there a way to change the margins without ssh and in windows xp
I am afraid of bricking it.
installing linux perhaps?
thanks
ninki
ninki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #34
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Yes: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175512

Note that I'm currently developing a major update for the entire patch framework, including the margins patch, so you may want to check back in a week or two.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #35
ninki
Connoisseur
ninki began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin 6.1, Kindle 3, Kindle Touch, KPW3, KOA3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Yes: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=175512

Note that I'm currently developing a major update for the entire patch framework, including the margins patch, so you may want to check back in a week or two.
OH! Ill wait then, thank you very much!
ninki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #36
spamcop
spamcop began at the beginning.

how to change margins

OK,

thanks for that info about /var/local/java/prefs/reader.pref file.

If you want to change margins from command line, just change those \x028 bytes with something else using command tr, for example (assuming you are root):

mkdir backup
cp /var/local/java/prefs/reader.pref backup
cat /tmp/root/backup/reader.pref |LC_ALL=C LANG='' tr '\x28' '\x14' > /var/local/java/prefs/reader.pref

You should everything check using (before and after change)
cat /var/local/java/prefs/reader.pref|hexdump -C

Oh, I tried also other utilities (sed, awk), but only tr works on busybox on hexnumbers.
spamcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #37
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/JBPa...Reader_Margins
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #38
cristi1848

I've tried to set margins via JBPatch, but it does not seem to work, does anybody have this problem ?
Old 08-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #39
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Read the documentation. https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/JBPa...Reader_Margins
Old 08-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #40
cristi1848

I tried changing the margins back and forth as directed, but it only worked after I restarted the device.
Thanks
Old 08-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #41
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristi1848 View Post
I tried changing the margins back and forth as directed, but it only worked after I restarted the device.
Thanks
Yes, and that is also documented. ALL changes to the JBPatch settings require a restart of the framework before they are applied. The margin settings require the "back-and-forth changing" as well.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #42
prehensile
prehensile began at the beginning.

Device: K4 Wifi
Hello all,

I've been trying to perform this hack on a K4, but I can't find the relevant prefs file. I suspect (as hinted at earlier in this thread) that the version of the Kindle OS on the K4 doesn't hold margin information in this file, and instead it's elsewhere on the system.

Did anyone ever work this out for K4? It seems like JBPatch isn't available for this Kindle, so that's out as an option.

(Please put me right on any obvious mistakes. n00b to Kindle JB matters.)
prehensile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #43
madmun
madmun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KT & PW
How to change margins in PW ?
madmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #44
Dworkyll
Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.Dworkyll knows the square root of minus one.

Device: iPaq 214, HanLin V5, K3W, K4, KPW, iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmun View Post
How to change margins in PW ?
Can't wait to have a foolproof method for this one. This binary file swapping should work (I guess), but connecting the PW as an USB networked device is beyond me, unfortunately.
Dworkyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:37 PM   #45
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dworkyll View Post
Can't wait to have a foolproof method for this one. This binary file swapping should work (I guess), but connecting the PW as an USB networked device is beyond me, unfortunately.
Due to the overwhelming demand, that'll probably be the next JBPatch bit that I'll try to port to the Paperwhite. So keep an eye on the JBPatch thread, but as always: don't hold your breath. It'll be released when it's ready and tested.