Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #166
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
@LuBiB

Thanks for the karma :-)
Is the annotations file plain text or beside the highlighted text there is info like position in the document ?
Does the text stay selected after highlighted? By that I mean that I would expect the text to show as highlighted after I close and open the document back to the same page.

I am a little bit concerned about exporting my notes to desktop. Having the notes in a separated file is both good and bad. Good because I do not have to eexport, bad because I can not resume the processing of the document on the desktop, after reading I need to go farther with creating some bookmarks from the text that was selected on the ereader. Not having the text at least highlighted in the exported document does not help me in that sense.

It would be interesting to see if the work is transferable from one ereder to another. By that I mean that you should be able to take an annotated PDF test file together with its annotations, send it to someone else with the same ereder and the receiver should be able to see what you worked on...

We know that the device is Windows CE. Is there any way to get to the OS ("root it" as the community did with Nook Android for example) ?

thanks
PF
When it's on your computer in the ".Summaries" it will appear as a txt, i posted pics in the last post of it on how it looks and where to find it.

It doesn't stay highlighted after you save it, instead you can just refer to it in the "Summaries" section of the device, or back on your comp.

I'm pretty sure that the accessible features of devices are accessed by their OS. If you annotate a doc on the jetBook Color, I'm pretty sure it won't look the same if you put the file on another reader.
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #167
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post

Were these pie charts and graphs type documents? Isn't the screen a bit small to present to a group of people?

Andrew
They were mostly notes that outlined the meeting with strings of e-mails talking about the subject. There were 2 graphs (columns) which were distinguishable by color patterns which was helpful.

I'm pretty sure after today my office is set on buying them for the staff to keep their regular documents for work in which is convenient as i might be getting another jetBook Color
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #168
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
I will bet you a jetBook Color that it will be available in one of the next updates!!

It's inevitable and the stylus is perfect for it.
I will buy the device next day
Since the release date of the new OS is April 1st... I am sceptic
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #169
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
I've had really weird behaviour with that page number list. Sometimes clicking on the -10 takes me further and further forward in a a document (i.e. the page number goes up). Also it seems to count the actual pages of the PDF, whereas using the number pad to type in a page to go to seems to use the page number as "printed" on the page. As an example, if the first three pages of my document are labelled in Roman numerals i, ii and iii, followed by pages numbered 1, 2, 3 etc., then if I use the number pad and type in "2" it takes me to the page labelled "2", but if I use the page range list and click on "2" it takes me to "ii". And to add to the confusion I think this behaviour changes from PDF to PDF.

Andrew
Yup, i had some documents with a "preface" section that it took for pages...that was in PDF though. Have you tried it with FB2 or any other file? It should work then.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #170
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
I don't think so judging by the lack of pictures in the manual. The first thing I did was look through the Russian manual in case it gave any clues to functionality. It doesn't (unless maybe you speak Russian).

Andrew
I really can't wait until the manual comes out lol, i'm sure there are features we haven't discovered yet, plus i'm excited about the updates. If they have a sticker on the box that says to 'Wait For It' it has to be something big.
Advert
Old 02-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #171
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Because android is really a terrible Os battery wise!
It has plenty of options, but the OS is battery hungry, and so do most of it's apps. They would also find no use on an e-ink screen, so many of the slide feats in android will not work.

Just as a comparison, 2 identical phones, one using android,the other blackberry Os, the android does 2 days on it's battery,the blackberry (a custom linux) does over 8 days. That's at least 75% longer battery life, just for selecting the right OS!

I would not want an energy efficient screen to be negated by a powerhungry OS.
^^^THIS.

If it ran Android, say goodbye to battery life
Old 02-08-2012, 11:42 PM   #172
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
ectaco didnt choose the OS. Hanvon did. Hanvon chose the OS because its easy for them to develop on and their hardware(the pen and touch etc) already has windows drivers .
I'm pretty sure Hanvon's OS is in Chinese....

This is similar to the K-12 sw they had so it looks as though they developed it themselves, plus as i said with the updates before, when they plan on releasing them we'll surely know where the download link is coming from.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #173
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
It doesn't stay highlighted after you save it, instead you can just refer to it in the "Summaries" section of the device, or back on your comp.
Doesn't sound good
That rules out the option of collaborative work
By that I mean you read a file, you highlight some items and send the files (the PDf and the highlights file) to let's say andyh2000 who has the same model of ereader. If he can not see the highlights there ...that is not helpful.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that the accessible features of devices are accessed by their OS. If you annotate a doc on the jetBook Color, I'm pretty sure it won't look the same if you put the file on another reader.
the idea here was to hack the ereader and to add a PDF reader of your choice (WinCE of course)
Old 02-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #174
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Yet another test for LuBiB
Since you are willing to test our suggestions I am addressing this one to you again but anyone else if free to test

more questions for you here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=135

my last question: would it be possible to take a color PDF page and do the following:
-display the page on your ereader and take picture of if
-on the desktop transform the page to B&W (greys), keep the resolution the same and load it back to your ereader and again take a picture of it ?

Please post the two pictures here. This test should clearly show the differences in resolution between B&W and Color for the ereader.

Since the resolution is bigger on B&W (greys) I expect the corresponding PDF to show smaller on the same screen... this would be an interesting test.
Ahaaaaa, well aren't you the sneaky one here! lol

I'll check it out this weekend and make a post

.....i'm still waiting for you to get the jetBook Color and try these things out!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #175
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
^^^THIS.

If it ran Android, say goodbye to battery life
You are wrong
Nook touch runs Android and it lasts for weeks.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:46 PM   #176
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
I will buy the device next day
Since the release date of the new OS is April 1st... I am sceptic
Correction: March 1st - get your wallet ready
Old 02-08-2012, 11:47 PM   #177
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
You are wrong
Nook touch runs Android and it lasts for weeks.
Do you use it for reading only or games and browsing?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:49 PM   #178
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Doesn't sound good
That rules out the option of collaborative work
By that I mean you read a file, you highlight some items and send the files (the PDf and the highlights file) to let's say andyh2000 who has the same model of ereader. If he can not see the highlights there ...that is not helpful.

the idea here was to hack the ereader and to add a PDF reader of your choice (WinCE of course)
For both of these, i'll see what they have coming in the update and then make a conclusion. My hopes of being impressed are raised high!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #179
LuBiB
Banned

[QUOTE=Kris777;1957575]
Quote:
Really, you connected the jetBook to an Overdrive library website? How?

I connected jetBook Color via mini USB to ADE program on my PC and moved 2books. I will have the access to these books during 14 days.

By TTS do you mean reading out the text from a book? I thought it was advertised as able to do that but I can't find the option anywhere. I'd assumed it was one of the many features they've advertised but not finished yet.

Open the book ->highlight the text via stylus -> click on text and choose "translate"-> after it click menu button and choose "Speak".
Kris, can you post some photos of the book you put on to the jetBook Color and the process of how you did it? I'm interested in trying this.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #180
LuBiB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovePlanetEarth View Post
Wow!!! Dude, these findings are amazing!!! (well, now I'm having second thoughts about buying Boox M92... )

Would you have any chance of comparing screen quality of JBC with Kindle DXG, or Boox M92... I'm mostly concerned about "ghosting" and "sharpness / darkness" of the text...
Check out some of the pics i've posted throughout this thread, it's a really impressive device and having color was essential for me so i got it.

I've found that the more light you have - the brighter the colors. When you're reading simple b/w books, not a big deal, the contrast is great and true to it's hi-res

Tags
ectaco, jetbook color, jetbook color review