Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
pixiepurls
pixiepurls began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Push vs. Pull

I like that on the Kindle they have the Push vs. Pull model. If your "online" and using the wireless you can go view any blog you want for free, but it does require some work on your part. If you want it PUSHED to you and available offline, for example while up in an airplane then you pay a fee. I think if they didn't have the browser and the free wireless then it would be far less attractive. I think this was a clever choice on their part but not everyone gets the concept because the PULL is "experimental" on the device so I suppose it's not like they can really market it that way until thats more "offical".
pixiepurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:12 PM   #2
Zoot
Connoisseur
Zoot began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Has anyone figured out how the "push" works, and in what modes the wireless is actually active and able to receive stuff?

Obviously if the wireless is turned off then nothing will happen.
But what if the power switch is off?
What about in "sleep" mode?

In any of these is it actively listening for connections, or does it poll periodically for new content, or maybe it's set up to wake up at 3am explicitly to look for subscription content or something like that.

Or is the whole push thing nonsense and it simply polls for new content when you turn the device on and the download is so fast that you can't really tell it wasn't already there?

As you can guess, I haven't played with any of the subscription content yet :-)

Z.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
"Free" may be the wrong term. They say that the wireless connection is free if you are buying books, receiving paid content, or certain other specific activities. Web browsing, as I remember, is not one of them and may well result in a bill for the air time used. It may be cheaper to subscribe.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote