Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Kobo Touch?
Yep, I'm happy with my purchase. 128 79.50%
No way! I want another eReader. 3 1.86%
I will be with the right firmware update(s). 30 18.63%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #16
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@HarleyB: sounds like a real snafu that storage bug. I agree some better communication likely would have gone a long way, likewise some of the customer support feedback seems to indicate room for improvement.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
That type of response doesn't help Kobo's reputation and if I hadn't been happy with my original Kobo for the previous 12 months I most likely would have abandoned Kobo as a total waste of time and money.
Harley; I am with you 1000% on this. I do feel that Kobo really fell down on this issue; I was close to moving up the food-chain at Kobo to escalate to senior management how we all felt; luckily, the day I was set to do this was when 1.9.10 was released.

I *DO* hope that the Kobo product team has learnt from this; sure they had other issues to handle as well (the release of multi-lingual support was required for the German release date) but..... leaving a bad taste as they did in the mouths of their ardent, early adopters, is inexcusable.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #18
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
I voted that I'm happy with the proviso that I hope my exchanged Kobo continues to work.

I was very frustrated with the storage error--unlike some, I couldn't even read my books and was glad to see it fixed.

Then my screen died and Chapters exchanged it on the spot (2.5-month-old Kobo). So if I don't have any more screen or defect problems, I'll be happy. I don't think I'd be happy if I didn't live in Canada, from what I've heard.

My point of comparison? I've got a Kindle 2 that is almost 2 years old with no problems.
It's been taken everywhere. The only thing I've had to do is get a new charge cable for it.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #19
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I'm happy with mine (I've had a few annoying bugs though, all my stats and awards are now gone because of it).
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:45 PM   #20
RasAlhague
Enthusiast
RasAlhague began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Returned), Kobo Touch, Ipod Touch 4G
I love my KT. I never had much problems with it.
RasAlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2011, 12:58 AM   #21
Shankill
Nameless Being

I started with a Kobo 1 last July, which had a good eight months' service before the screen fudged up by itself. It got replaced under warranty with a Kobo 2, which served me well for six months before that screen stuffed up. It got replaced under warranty with a refurbed 2, which I sold (it ended up more than covering the costs of my Kobo Touch).

I now have a Touch which had one storage error (funnily enough, on the same day the 1.9.10 update with the fix came out). Otherwise, I'm very happy with it, particularly since I've had one of each model without paying any more than I did for the original Kobo!

And even though I've had issues with each version of the Kobo, I'm more than happy to stay with their products. Whenever I've needed their tech support, it's been absolutely stellar. They seem responsive to feature requests, and they've built quite a great 'third option' device.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:42 AM   #22
baggins
baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!baggins , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Can't say I'm happy with it so far, since it stopped working after one day and in that one day it had problems connecting to my computer and also gave me the storage error.

I'm holding out any judgement yet and giving them the benefit of the doubt that it was a defective unit. We'll see how the replacement KT works, when I get it.
baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:36 AM   #23
EverC
EverC began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3, Kobo Touch (returned)
I returned my Kobo Touch, because I had the famous storage errors, but after the firmware updates it started crashing more seriously and after a factory reset, I was not even able to reupload my books anymore. After 28 books the Kobo would not detect any books anymore and would be stuck at "processing content..." forever without updating any of my books.

Today, I decided to buy another Kobo Touch and give it another chance, because it was a great device aside from the aforementioned problems and I really want an ereader.

Well, that was a mistake. This one is quite a lemon. Out of the box I noticed right away how sluggish it was - unlike my first Kobo! It is so slow that I believed that the refresh rate was set at "every page", but it wasn't. Charging it up, rebooting and updating the firmware did not change how slow it is. And how surprising, when I tried to upload my books, all that happened is a slowly ticking "processing content..." screen.
After a half an hour wait I had enough. I powered it off, reset it and back it goes into the box.

I will return it tomorrow and I don't think I will give it another try.

I'm quite disappointed, because I really wanted to like it, I actually loved it when it worked!
But spending 147$ for a device that is either buggy or sluggish is just not an option for me.

I'm really glad for everybody who is lucky and actually has a Kobo Touch that works properly.

I would definitely not recommend buying a Kobo Touch, if you don't have a local store you could return it to, if anything was wrong with it.

Last edited by EverC; 09-11-2011 at 04:41 AM.
EverC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #24
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

Happy from day one (I started with Firmware 1.9.8, I think)
Old 09-11-2011, 05:46 AM   #25
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
I was really wanting to buy one and bump up from my wifi but I don't think I will be buying one at all. Might consider a Kindle. :/
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:56 AM   #26
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@MorganM: Kindle is probably a better option in AU until Kobo has an actual local distributor.

@EverC: Bummer. You really didn't have much luck did you. Oh well no one can't say you didn't try, you were more than reasonable. Hopefully the SONY T1 works better for you when it comes out.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #27
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Quote:
@MorganM: Kindle is probably a better option in AU until Kobo has an actual local distributor.
Apparently Collins is going to be selling KT soon. Well this month supposedly.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:19 AM   #28
EverC
EverC began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3, Kobo Touch (returned)
Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
@EverC: Bummer. You really didn't have much luck did you. Oh well no one can't say you didn't try, you were more than reasonable. Hopefully the SONY T1 works better for you when it comes out.
I'm so tempted to try it one more time though. Third time's a charm.
It may sound nuts, but I would really like an ereader now and I don't want to wait until October...
EverC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #29
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
The results of the poll are very interesting. It seems that a majority of Mobile Read forum members are happy with the Kobo Touch but that most of the threads here are started by people who are dissatisfied.

For my part, my wife and I are both happy with the Kobo Touch. The storage error was annoying but not a deal breaker (and it has since been fixed), and there are niggling quirks and features that would be nice to have, but overall, I have no complaints because it excels at the one thing I bought it for: serving as a book reader.

And honestly, looking at the other readers on the market shows that none of them are without their quirks and quibbles

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 09-11-2011 at 01:47 PM.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #30
Nanopr
Connoisseur
Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch
My experience... So far, so good. Gets the job done.
Nanopr is offline   Reply With Quote