Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Making FBReader and pdfviewer default viewers

Our german user svenni found out this neat little trick to directly use FBReader as default viewer for ePub and pdfviewer as default viewer for PDF. Just paste extensions.cfg in to your sytem/config folder on your reader. It is only a txt file, so you may manipulate the config yourself.

Just uncompress and paste. Then your ePubs will be directly opened by FBReader. I don't know the names of the Adobe apps right now, so Adobe will be out till tomorrow!

Edit: This version is like the original, only ADE is second choice on both ePub and PDF. Please reinstall!
Attached Files
File Type: rar extensions.cfg.rar (371 Bytes, 3488 views)

Last edited by mtravellerh; 12-28-2009 at 04:12 AM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
That is wonderful thank you as I prefer fbreader
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It works.
It seems to completely block ADE; long press doesn't offer a choice.
But since I don't intend to buy any Adobe DRM'ed books that's no problem.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It works.
It seems to completely block ADE; long press doesn't offer a choice.
But since I don't intend to buy any Adobe DRM'ed books that's no problem.
Look for examples in German forum, you can define several programs for opening file.
You can define, for example FBReader as a first chioce, FBReaderSFF as second and ADE as third. Then you can have the original FBReader plus SciFifans version.
I will try later to play with the file.
The first task would be to start the terminal emulator and have a look at the configuration file from inside the filesystem (the default one)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:52 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Look for examples in German forum, you can define several programs for opening file.
You can define, for example FBReader as a first chioce, FBReaderSFF as second and ADE as third. Then you can have the original FBReader plus SciFifans version.
I will try later to play with the file.
The first task would be to start the terminal emulator and have a look at the configuration file from inside the filesystem (the default one)
Yep, that would be very interesting, primarily to get to know the exact name of the ADE viewer application!

Edit: Found out, thanks to Svenni again. So FBReader is first choice for ePub now, ADE is second choice. For PDF, pdfviewer is first choice, ADE second choice. To restablish the original order, please just remove extensions.cfg from system/config!

Last edited by mtravellerh; 12-28-2009 at 04:15 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:36 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Excellent!
So that if (when?) somebody ports Coolreader over it can be added to the mix gracefully.
PB360 looks to have been architected with some serious forethought.

We really need a FAQ for all the added features that are popping up...
Hmm...
Old 12-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
So. I used the terminal application to do some actual hacking ;-)

The first step was extracting the contents of the original configuration file.

I have started the terminal application and had a look around the filesystem.
There is interesting directory called /ebrmain/config
with configuration file extensions.cfg

So I have issued command
cp /ebrmain/config/ex* /mnt/ext2
to copy the extensions.cfg to the memory card.

Here are the contents of the default /ebrmain/config/extensions.cfg file
Code:
txt:@Text_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_TXT
fb2:@FB2_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_FB2
htm:@HTML_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_HTM
html:@HTML_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_HTM
php:@HTML_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_HTM
cgi:@HTML_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_HTM
asp:@HTML_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_HTM
jsp:@HTML_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_HTM
pl:@HTML_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_HTM
chm:@Z_HTML_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_CHM
rtf:@RTF_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_RTF
doc:@DOC_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_DOC
docx:@DOC_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_DOC
docm:@DOC_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_DOC
prc:@PRC_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_PRC
pdb:@PRC_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_PRC
mobi:@PRC_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_PRC
tcr:@TCR_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_TXT
pdf:@PDF_file:1:AdobeViewer.app,pdfviewer.app:ICON_PDF
djvu:@DJVU_file:1:djviewer.app:ICON_DJVU
djv:@DJVU_file:1:djviewer.app:ICON_DJVU
epub:@EPUB_file:1:AdobeViewer.app,fbreader.app:ICON_EPUB
jpg:@JPEG_image:2:jpegviewer.app:ICON_JPG
jpeg:@JPEG_image:2:jpegviewer.app:ICON_JPG
png:@PNG_image:2:jpegviewer.app:ICON_PNG
bmp:@BMP_image:2:jpegviewer.app:ICON_BMP
tif:@TIFF_image:2:jpegviewer.app:ICON_TIFF
tiff:@TIFF_image:2:jpegviewer.app:ICON_TIFF
mp3:@Music_file:3:play.app:ICON_MP3
wav:@Music_file:3:play.app:ICON_MP3
app:@APP_file:4:start.app:ICON_APP
There are several interesting things I have learned reading the file:

1. Name of the FBReader application is fbreader.app

2. Name of the Adobe pdf viewer application is AdobeViewer.app

3. Name of the pdfviewer application is pdfviewer.app

4. Name of the djviewer application is djviewer.app

5. Name of the audio player application is play.app

6. Name of the image viewing application is jpegviewer.app

7. The syntax for having several applications available for reading is pdf:@PDF_file:1:AdobeViewer.app,pdfviewer.app:ICON _PDF
If we change the line to the
pdf:@PDF_file:1:pdfviewer.app,AdobeViewer.app:ICON _PDF
we should get pdfviewer as a default application.

8. there are several other possibilities, for example we want to have SciFiFans version of FBRreader to open some files by default, and the original FBReeader other, we change, for example this line
txt:@Text_file:1:fbreader.app:ICON_TXT
to
txt:@Text_file:1:fbreader2.app,fbreader.app:ICON_T XT
and then we copy SciFiFans version to the [memory mounted when PB connected to PC]/system/bin under the name fbreader2.app

I will try this tomorrow.
I will have a look what type of file extensions.cfg (UNIX or DOS text file (cr or CR/LF end of line))
I *THINK* that if I put my tweaked extensions.cfg file to the user mountable /system/config I might get my configuration.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega
norciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pocketbook 360
Quote:
I will try this tomorrow.
I will have a look what type of file extensions.cfg (UNIX or DOS text file (cr or CR/LF end of line))
I *THINK* that if I put my tweaked extensions.cfg file to the user mountable /system/config I might get my configuration.
Tested. Works.

extensions.cfg is UTF-8, Unix style I think. The linux editor I used does not ask about line ends.
norciom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by norciom View Post
Tested. Works.

extensions.cfg is UTF-8, Unix style I think. The linux editor I used does not ask about line ends.
I'm wondering if we couldn't solve the HTM HTML problem (extensions in caps that aren't opened by the reader) by just adding those endings to extensions.cfg. Opinions anyone?
Old 02-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega
norciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I'm wondering if we couldn't solve the HTM HTML problem (extensions in caps that aren't opened by the reader) by just adding those endings to extensions.cfg. Opinions anyone?
Should work. Copy the html line and change it to caps.

But I feel a more general approach is more elegant. Any idea on how to map all unknown extensions or even lack of extensions to a app? Anyone?

Warning. A bad extensions.cfg can lead to trouble.

Last edited by norciom; 02-02-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
Is the extensions.cfg accepting RegEx ?
If yes, the problem could be solved this way
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #12
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulli View Post
Is the extensions.cfg accepting RegEx ?
If yes, the problem could be solved this way
No. I've tried '*' as an extension. Did not work.

There needs to be
- a default for unmatched files
- case insensitive extenstions

Maybe in the next firmware version.
Some suggestions in this direction have been made on the the-ebook.org
Old 03-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #13
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post

Edit: This version is like the original, only ADE is second choice on both ePub and PDF. Please reinstall!
When you say "second choice", does that mean ADE will be second on the context menu, or that, if FBReader can't open the file, ADE will? Thanks.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #14
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
When you say "second choice", does that mean ADE will be second on the context menu, or that, if FBReader can't open the file, ADE will? Thanks.
Second choice on the menu and only available when selected manually.
When the primary choice can't open a file, the default behavior is to return an error message, not try the alternate option.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:19 PM   #15
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Second choice on the menu and only available when selected manually.
When the primary choice can't open a file, the default behavior is to return an error message, not try the alternate option.
Thanks.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote