Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #226
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

Though in theory as with most sites. You can download the purchase again if needed.

in theory ...

that is true, but who knows how long it would be before there is consolidation of some existing etailers .... and from what i can remember of t&cs they don't guarantee retention of your books....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #227
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

Though in theory as with most sites. You can download the purchase again if needed.
Never rely on that.

IMO the best thing to do when buying a book is make sure you have an un-DRM'd backup. Stores have closed up and even having a DRM'd backup does you little good if you can't change the PID, register a new reader or whatever depending on the DRM system (except maybe eReader DRM).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #228
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Only if you have a Kindle, though. I don't believe even the iPhone/Touch app is avaliable outside America... so you can't really seperate them.
At least they didn't know it at Spanish store (I phoned )
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:07 PM   #229
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Only if you have a Kindle, though. I don't believe even the iPhone/Touch app is avaliable outside America... so you can't really seperate them.
Not yet, true. But I am confident it'll be not too long now
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #230
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
You just have to use a software proxy. You then can simulate, being in the US. Original intent of such proxies was, to hide your identity. In this case, I hide my original location.
Strangest thing...
Today I can purchase agasin as usual. US account, residing in Germany though.
No proxy, no circumvention needed.

Yesterday it didn't work, as many others have reported. Yesterday Amazon checked: Actual location vs. account address...

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-09-2009 at 12:05 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #231
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
"Using The International Kindle Could Rack Up Fees"

"Not only does the new international Kindle cost more than its U.S. counterpart, owners who want to take advantage of the wireless connectivity will be paying more for it. In addition to the $2 per-book fee for non-U.S. downloads, paidContent has learned from Amazon (NasdaqGS: AMZN - News) that it will cost users $5 a week to access their newspaper, magazine and blog subscriptions via Whispernet. (Whispernet is the name of Amazon's wireless network, no matter which carrier delivers the service.) Also, as I explain below, the cost of downloading a book though the AT&T-managed international Whispernet will run roughly 13 times higher than Amazon currently charges in the U.S. for the same size file delivered by Sprint-managed Whispernet through e-mail." (more)
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #232
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Strangest thing...
Today I can purchase agasin as usual. US account, residing in Germany though.
No proxy, no circumvention needed.

Yesterday it didn't work, as many others have reported. Then Amazon checked: Actual location vs. account address...

Sounds like they are having a few roll-out glitches.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #233
sigmax
Connoisseur
sigmax has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: SONY PRS-300
Hey I was about to press "BUY" on an Astak 5", and now I read this! My country (Uruguay) supports kindle ...

How would you compare hardware quality of a Kindle, against an Astak and a Sony ? For a start, it says 16 shades of gray which is not bad. But I never seen a kindle firsthand. Is it cheapo plastic ? Does it casing cracks under its own weight ? Prolly wront topic to post these questions ... Regards, SigmaX.
sigmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:39 PM   #234
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmax View Post
Hey I was about to press "BUY" on an Astak 5", and now I read this! My country (Uruguay) supports kindle ...

How would you compare hardware quality of a Kindle, against an Astak and a Sony ? For a start, it says 16 shades of gray which is not bad. But I never seen a kindle firsthand. Is it cheapo plastic ? Does it casing cracks under its own weight ? Prolly wront topic to post these questions ... Regards, SigmaX.
Remember one thing. If you are in any way dissatisfied with your Kindle, Amazon provides full refund price within 30 days......all you have to do is pay for return shipping. Here, it runs about $10.

I don't think the Kindle is any more/less fragile than other ebook devices.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #235
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
The drop in the price point of the K2 seems to me to be a signal that Amazon has no immediate plans to compete with Sony on either size (300) or touchscreen (600.) Instead, they are going to compete on price & wireless.

First, they start out by positioning the K2 (1) against the 300 on the basis that for a mere 50 bucks more, you get a bigger screen plus wireless and (2) against the 600 on the basis that it's 50 bucks less and sure, you lose touch but you gain wireless.

Then, they will do a similar play on the price on the KDX around the time the DE is brought on market.

It seems to me that this leaves Sony with no option but to lower its prices on the 300 & 600 and meet the price of the KDX on the DE.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #236
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Remember one thing. If you are in any way dissatisfied with your Kindle, Amazon provides full refund price within 30 days......all you have to do is pay for return shipping. Here, it runs about $10.
Just to provide a bit of context, from here, a max 1 kg parcel (approx. 2 pounds) costs 42 USD to send to the USA. It's my impression that it's generally a bit cheaper in other European countries, plus if you choose to send it as a 'letter' (non-trackable and less (none?) insurance) it's a good deal cheaper and closer to 10 USD. Personally, I wouldn't dare to choose any other option than 'parcel' though.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #237
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforce View Post
"Using The International Kindle Could Rack Up Fees"

"Not only does the new international Kindle cost more than its U.S. counterpart, owners who want to take advantage of the wireless connectivity will be paying more for it. In addition to the $2 per-book fee for non-U.S. downloads, paidContent has learned from Amazon (NasdaqGS: AMZN - News) that it will cost users $5 a week to access their newspaper, magazine and blog subscriptions via Whispernet. (Whispernet is the name of Amazon's wireless network, no matter which carrier delivers the service.) Also, as I explain below, the cost of downloading a book though the AT&T-managed international Whispernet will run roughly 13 times higher than Amazon currently charges in the U.S. for the same size file delivered by Sprint-managed Whispernet through e-mail." (more)

This also may be 100% wrong. From some sleuths here diving into the Amazon terms and also asking Amazon support the above is only true if you are a US person.

In other words you only pay the surcharges outside of your home country. So yes, if a US personal was on vacation in Spain (or whatever is a supported roaming country) for a week and still wanted their blogs/subscriptions delivered they would have to pay the $5 surcharge.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #238
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
This used to be so, but is no longer the case. See

https://www.mobipocket.com/ebookbase...e/pub_info.asp

"Effective September 2009, we will no longer open new accounts for publishers to sell titles through the Kindle Store or MobiPocket.com."

There is currently no way for a small non-US publisher to get books into the Amazon Kindle ebook store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
With respect, Neil, I have already told you - and demonstrated to you - that this is not the case. You can get your books into the Kindle eBook Store by uploading them to Mobipocket, who accept publishers from anywhere in the world. I have done so myself.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #239
barrow
barrow began at the beginning.

Device: Want: Kindle 2 / Cybook Gen3 / Sony Daily Reader
Hi! I'm new here and have a question regarding the comparison of the Kindle with other e-book readers.

It seems that the Kindle offers INSTANT dictionary look up for words in the document that you are reading. From what I gather, no other e-book reader offers this function?

This creates the potential for language translation. I'm learning French at the moment. If I load a French-English dictionary onto my Kindle, then change the default dictionary to it (which you are able to do), then when I am reading French e-books on my Kindle, I can get instant English translation of those words of which I am unsure of in French.

This is an invaluable feature that seems unique to the Kindle. Or are there other e-book readers where I could also do this? Please advise me if so, because I am no expert but if there are other readers that can perform this kind of language translation "on the fly" then I may be more interested in them.
barrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #240
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
At Last!!

At last Amazon has managed to look beyond one continent.
Whatever be the cost factors, this is good news for ereaders!
I still may not buy it. Inches matter here

I would like to see the Kindle DX offered internationally.

But now its time for Sony to respond..
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote