Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #136
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I used to think the Aura HD was gorgeous. Now I find it clunky. I do, however, find the new Aura gorgeous. Shame I can't root it. If the Glo ever goes into clearance, I may pick one up. I find it odd that the Aura and the Glo co-exist.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:50 AM   #137
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I refer you to the Mobileread FAQ

Thanks for posting.
... And just in case I didn't notice, you ALSO had to PM me about it.

Just to get things straight:

You routinely root and do modifications to all your ereaders, but cannot stand the Paperwhite defaults, so you refuse to consider the Paperwhite as an acceptable ereader?

Okay, then. As long as you have a good reason.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #138
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
I used to think the Aura HD was gorgeous. Now I find it clunky. I do, however, find the new Aura gorgeous. Shame I can't root it. If the Glo ever goes into clearance, I may pick one up. I find it odd that the Aura and the Glo co-exist.
Is this opinion based on personally handling any of these devices? Have you ever owned a Glo, an Aura, or an Aura HD?

I own all three and don't find any of them clunky. I also haven't needed to root any kobo. (Installing a patch is not rooting).

My paperwhite 1 is rooted, and I prefer it that way.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:59 PM   #139
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post

Is this opinion based on personally handling any of these devices? Have you ever owned a Glo, an Aura, or an Aura HD?

I own all three and don't find any of them clunky. I also haven't needed to root any kobo. (Installing a patch is not rooting).

I feel the same as Rizla.
The Kobo Aura HD is clunky. Bulky and ugly. The design reminds me of a digital watch from Eastern Germany around 1985. Featureset is nice. But once you hold Nook Glowlight, Kindle Paperwhite 2 and Kobo Aura HD, you recognize the difference in bulk and elegance.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #140
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Folks, feel free to keep the discussion going, but Marking this post as "solved" since Amazon is sending me a replacement Paperwhite. Also, thanks to suggestions, will probably get a Kobo Glo to hold all my ebooks.
Thanks for the thoughts and ideas!
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:12 PM   #141
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
Folks, feel free to keep the discussion going, but Marking this post as "solved" since Amazon is sending me a replacement Paperwhite. Also, thanks to suggestions, will probably get a Kobo Glo to hold all my ebooks.
Thanks for the thoughts and ideas!
Oh, don't worry, you're thread will go on ... and on ... and on ...

As for getting the Glo (not running it down at all -- never tried one), did you see that the Onyx Boox Lynx is now being sold in the U.S. by Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Onyx-BOOX-T68-.../dp/B00KW4EJL0

Pretty impressive looking eReader.

And, for the Kobo folks -- Is the Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo pretty much the same except for the front light?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #142
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post

Based on handling all three. I'm talking about the external styling only. I think the new Aura is the nicest styled current e-reader. That flat screen is der bomb.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #143
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Based on handling all three. I'm talking about the external styling only. I think the new Aura is the nicest styled current e-reader. That flat screen is der bomb.
Yes, I agree, I love the look and feel of the Aura. Not everyone does, however. Some like IR touch better, in general. Me, I don't really care, I just like touch screens.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:05 PM   #144
user743
Addict
user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.user743 has never been to obedience school.

Device: Kindle PW2 special offers removed by Amazon for FREE
isn't that a tablet? (not e-ink.)
user743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:08 AM   #145
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
What does "der bomb" mean?

All eInk readers have flat screens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:57 AM   #146
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What does "der bomb" mean?

All eInk readers have flat screens.
Should be "da bomb."
The Aura's flush bevel design is frequently referred to as a flat-screen
Old 06-27-2014, 03:17 AM   #147
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Should be "da bomb."
The Aura's flush bevel design is frequently referred to as a flat-screen
OK, what does "da bomb" mean, please? It's an expression I haven't encountered before.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:42 AM   #148
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
OK, what does "da bomb" mean, please? It's an expression I haven't encountered before.
Google it.
Da Bomb
Old 06-27-2014, 05:47 AM   #149
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Google it.
Da Bomb
Thanks. It appears to be a type of hot sauce.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #150
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Oh, don't worry, you're thread will go on ... and on ... and on ...

As for getting the Glo (not running it down at all -- never tried one), did you see that the Onyx Boox Lynx is now being sold in the U.S. by Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/Onyx-BOOX-T68-.../dp/B00KW4EJL0

Pretty impressive looking eReader.

And, for the Kobo folks -- Is the Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo pretty much the same except for the front light?
That's an impressive reader. I don't see anything about a light, maybe I overlooked it. At this point I really like having a light on an ereader.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote