Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
SueZee
SueZee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can't get Calibre to email Kindle using Gmail

I hope I'm not in the wrong place to ask, and I see other's have asked the same question, but I'm not finding the answer. I am a new Window's 8 user, and I've managed to download the newest Calibre and have successfully moved my library to the new computer. Everything seems to work, except I can't for the life of me figure out why calibre won't email books to my kindle using my gmail account. When I do the test email, nothing happens. I've changed my timeout on gmail to 5 minutes, I've double checked and Amazon has my gmail email in it and I'm using the correct email address for the Kindle. I loved that feature of being able to email my books to my kindle on my old laptop and really want it to work on this one. Can anyone help me please? Even if you can direct me on how to find previous posts that may have already answered the question.
SueZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ails-using-app

First try sending email to your own email account and see if it arrives.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
SueZee

I just tried using my gmail address to send to another of my email address and it arrived. Then I used the other email address to send an email to gmail, and it arrived. So the Gmail account seems to be working well. I also run f-prot antivirus. Is there any chance that could be causing my problem as I have read where some advice has been given to change settings in the antivirus program, but I don't see where to do that in fprot.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you can send email from calibre to other accoutns but not to your kindle account, then you probably have forgotten to register your email address with amaon to allow email delivery. Also not that amazon does not allow email delivery of files in the azw3 format, only MOBI is allowed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
SueZee

Okay, I think that might be part of the problem, but not all. I got some email back this morning from Amazon saying it couldn't accept the file type. However, I just tried to send another book and the box popped up that asked if I wanted to convert it to the right format. I said yes, it showed it converted it, then it showed it was working on sending, but the bar that says how much has been sent, just says unavailable and it stays like that until it either times out, or I give up and turn it off. I must be doing something wrong, but what???? <puzzled look> This is silly because I had it working without a hitch before.
Here is the error message if that helps you know what is happening?
calibre, version 0.9.31 (win32, isfrozen: True)
Failed to email book: Failed: Email Victims to suezee61@kindle.com

Starting job: Email book address@kindle.com

Sending failed...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 37, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 114, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 94, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 86, in sendmail_direct
IOError: Failed to send mail: error(10060, 'A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond')

Retrying in 1 seconds...

Sending failed...

IOError: Failed to send mail: error(10060, 'A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond')

Job: "Email book to address@kindle.com" failed with error:
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\threaded_jobs.py", line 83, in start_work
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\email.py", line 92, in __call__

Called with args: (u'C:\\Users\\Susan\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\calibre _brsfhh\\2ldodbcaltmpfmt.mobi', u'book - Jonathan Kellerman.mobi', u'address@kindle.com', u'E-book: book, u'Attached, you will find the e-book\n\nVictims\n\tby Jonathan Kellerman\n\nin the MOBI format.') {u'notifications': <Queue.Queue instance at 0x0A6E9198>, u'abort': <threading._Event object at 0x081AA390>, u'log': <calibre.utils.logging.GUILog object at 0x081AACF0>}

Last edited by SueZee; 05-18-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueZee View Post
Okay, I think that might be part of the problem, but not all. I got some email back this morning from Amazon saying it couldn't accept the file type. However, I just tried to send another book and the box popped up that asked if I wanted to convert it to the right format.
I'm not sure if this helps, but if you still have your email format set to AZW than saying yes converted it to AZW. Under Preferences - Sharing books by email make sure the format under the formats section is set to Mobi.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
SueZee

Thank you, I did go and changed it to ONLY send in mobi format. So basically just deleted the other formats out of there and tried again. It still doesn't work. I'm really confused as to what I'm doing wrong.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
SueZee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you can send email from calibre to other accoutns but not to your kindle account, then you probably have forgotten to register your email address with amaon to allow email delivery. Also not that amazon does not allow email delivery of files in the azw3 format, only MOBI is allowed.
I am sorry, what I wrote must have been misleading because I didn't know I could use calibre to email anywhere else. I just now ran the wizard again and added another email address of mine to see if I could email a book to it, and it won't email to that one either. It's probably some silly little thing that I'm not seeing, but what??

here is the error message:
Sending failed...

Old 05-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueZee View Post
I am sorry, what I wrote must have been misleading because I didn't know I could use calibre to email anywhere else. I just now ran the wizard again and added another email address of mine to see if I could email a book to it, and it won't email to that one either. It's probably some silly little thing that I'm not seeing, but what??
you need to set the mailserver section (Bottom LEFT) EXACTLY like you would in Outlook (as specified by your ISP) for SENDING mail (receiving mail uses a different setting)

There is a Test button to the Right you should get a confirmation if all goes well.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
SueZee

Solved:

I'm not sure how to mark this as resolved, but I got it to work! I went in under preferences and realized that my gmail address was not entered, it just said .gmail.com even though I had typed it in the welcome wizard over and over again, it wasn't there. I typed it in and it works! I knew it was something silly I was missing....really appreciate everyone's help! Thank you! Now that I know how to do this, I will help a couple of friends who are wanting to try Calibre. I didn't want to help when I couldn't get it to work myself.

Last edited by theducks; 05-25-2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: marked Solved
Old 05-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I made the title say Solved for you:

Using the 'advanced reply mode' allows a title to be entered
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote