Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Will there be a kindle max?

6.8"?

7"?

8"?

Before you say: no one needs more than 6", look how well the phablets worked out for Samsung.

I mean, what else is Amazon gonna do? Improve the light slightly? More cloud features. Meh.

E ink tech seems to be stuck. Except for higher res, the newest readers have basically the same screen as my K3. Same gray screen, 4 bit grayscale, slow refresh. Only way to go is bigger.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Before you say: no one needs more than 6", look how well the phablets worked out for Samsung.
Well...women have been falling for that line for years.

Besides Amazon already tried that with the DX. Of course, the DX was about $9000. Maybe if they could get the price more in line with the standard sized models.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
I believe it is an aesthetic size based on the feel of holding the Kindle as we are conditioned to hold books. But I am very fond of large art books, more than impressed than watching art on a Large LCD. Something like William Blake with art would need a 15 or more inch Kindle, but it would still be in black and white. If regular people were more into larger books I am sure the Kindle would take note....bigger may not be better....can you imagine going to a cinema to read a book that is projected to a big screen, you would much prefer going to the cinema to watch a film than see giant sentences projected.

Though maybe in 200 years we (our great grand children) would see Kindles that are multi-media and combine reading a novel with sound and video effects with each page turn which would suggest a much larger Kindle in the market.
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:57 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I've owned a DXG, and I sold it again. I had direct comparison to a K3 at that time (now I have a KPW, which has its own merits well beyond those other devices). As aesthetics go, everything was fine. And it was very nice to read books on it, I even prefered it to my K3 for that. In the end, however, the matter was that it was a bit to clumsy to transport. It was always waiting at home while I took the K3 on tour. At some point I decided to sell it again as long as I would get some reasonable amount of money back for it. In my case it even was a no-loss situation as I got my KDG for ~250 bucks in a special offer at Amazon and was able to get about as much for it when selling it as a used unit (I've imported it to Germany, which kind of created some benefit for german buyers).

I don't think I would buy a DXG again, even if it was down to 200 bucks. The form factor attracted me then because I thought it would be a good fit for reading PDFs. It was, but only to some extent. PDF based layouts often make assumptions that don't fit well with e-ink technology. I was much more satisfied later with a 10" Android tablet - being able to pan and zoom in an instant (and have color for the illustrations) is a really great thing. When it comes down to plain reading, e-ink still beats all other solutions.

Of course, all of these things, from aesthetics to use cases, are highly subjective and depend on personal preferences.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #5
Sauyadav
Enthusiast
Sauyadav began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo h2o, iPad mini, Note 2
I think something of size 7" or 8" will be awesome. I use my PW for mostly manga & comics, sometimes it is very hard to read the text bubbles, and panel view is not a great alternative. Especially most of the comics doesn't work great on its small screen.
Sauyadav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:45 AM   #6
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Besides Amazon already tried that with the DX. Of course, the DX was about $9000. Maybe if they could get the price more in line with the standard sized models.
My DXG was cheaper in 2011 than my very-first-batch Cybook Gen3 was in 2007. It's all relative, and I don't regret getting either of them for a second.

And I would pay the same again (which was in the order of €400,=. Yes, thats euros, not dollars) for something with the 300 dpi 2400x1600 9.7" screen E-ink has om the shelf.

But there aren't enough of me
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:50 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauyadav View Post
I think something of size 7" or 8" will be awesome. I use my PW for mostly manga & comics, sometimes it is very hard to read the text bubbles, and panel view is not a great alternative. Especially most of the comics doesn't work great on its small screen.
Get a Kobo Aura HD. 6.8" 1440x1080. Assuming you can get one; for now, I can't, being in the Netherlands (without jumping through hoops).
Old 05-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #8
Sauyadav
Enthusiast
Sauyadav began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo h2o, iPad mini, Note 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Get a Kobo Aura HD. 6.8" 1440x1080. Assuming you can get one; for now, I can't, being in the Netherlands (without jumping through hoops).
I have only just recently bought PW, so I can't buy another ereader, also I am waiting for a bit bigger screen to become standard for ereaders, maybe in 1 year or so.
Sauyadav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:01 AM   #9
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
When does Amazon usually announce new Kindle models? In the fall of each year?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:41 AM   #10
Henry Flower
Henry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-booksHenry Flower has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
6.8"?

7"?

8"?

I mean, what else is Amazon gonna do? Improve the light slightly? More cloud features. Meh.

E ink tech seems to be stuck. Except for higher res, the newest readers have basically the same screen as my K3. Same gray screen, 4 bit grayscale, slow refresh. Only way to go is bigger.
The answer to the thread title is 'no'. The answer to 'what else' is colour e-ink. It'll come.
Henry Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post
The answer to the thread title is 'no'. The answer to 'what else' is colour e-ink. It'll come.
Genuine colour eInk is still a way off. All that's available at the moment is the Triton "colour" eInk screen, which is a 4-colour mask placed in front of a standard B&W screen. Not only does this give murky, unsaturated colours, but it also halves the linear resolution of the screen, which is very undesirable.

I suspect that we will see Kindle models in the not too distant future using larger, higher-resolution screens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
mbovenka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I suspect that we will see Kindle models in the not too distant future using larger, higher-resolution screens.
I agree. Kobo has thrown down the gauntlet with the Aura HD, and I see a Paperwhite HD coming in response.

I still want a DX Paperwhite based on that 300 dpi 9.7" screen Even if they don't do anything else to the DXG but drop in a screen like that I'd get one in a flash.

But I don't think there are enough of me to make that happen...

Last edited by mbovenka; 05-03-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Seems like if you shrink the bezels you can fit that HD 6.8" screen into the current dimensions of the Paperwhite. I'd also like to see them get rid of the 'inset' of the screen, so the screen is flush with the bezel and the device can be thinner, and crud would not get stuck in the corners. Of course tweak the touch response so it ignores your thumb resting on the edge of the screen, which now extends nearly edge-to-edge.

If they could get rid of the bezel altogether (at least on the sides), so much the better.

Then make a bigger version of same (9-10").
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #14
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I have an Aura, and I still prefer reading on the DX when possible. The extra couple of inches of screen on the DX makes a huge difference. The extra space that the keyboard takes up pushes the screen of the DX up more closely to eye level when I prop it up on my easel, making it my favorite unit for reading while eating.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I'm hoping that the Aura is successful so that the DX gets a refresh and a price drop. A PW DX at a reasonable price would be a dream come true.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote