Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-04-2019, 12:27 AM   #1
kitkat8
kitkat8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Can I test a dead Glo HD battery with a regular Glo battery?

Hi,
I bought a Glo HD on Ebay. (photo attached, hopefully). I plugged it into the computer. Dead.

I also bought a motherboard/battery for my regular Glo.

Can I open the Glo HD and test the battery with a regular Glo battery(1200mah)? Or should I just cut my losses and return the Glo HD?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hd.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	171770  
kitkat8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:40 AM   #2
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Can you keep it connected to the AC outlet and test it like that? I'm pretty sure the connectors of the Glo HD and Glo batteries are the same, but I'm not an expert and I have no idea if there would be problems with the device if you did that. Probably not? But you should wait for somebody who knows more about this than me.
What I can tell you is that the Glo HD still has great specs and that replacement batteries cost around 15 euros (I got one through Amazon from a Czech retailer), you can search the forum for more info on the model. I'm very happy with mine and have no plans to upgrade anytime soon.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2019, 06:13 AM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
if the battery was flat then you have to give it a few hours charge

deep discharge is very bad for the battery, and if this is new/warranty you could return it, but if it was cheap/used then just spend $10 on a new battery if the old one does not revive

battery can be replaced, just don't break the super-fragile screen while you're at it - the battery will likely be glued in and the screen cannot take even the slightest amount of stress or the glass substrate will snap
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:38 PM   #4
kitkat8

I bought it used on Ebay.

Shouldn't there be some response when plugged in? Even if the battery was completely dead?

I've been looking at the prices of new ereaders, and would like to get this one to work.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:53 PM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat8 View Post
Shouldn't there be some response when plugged in?
Eventually the device should boot. The LED should probably blink while it does. If the LED blinks but no reaction on the display, it's likely broken.

The screen (battery low) was like that when it arrived? If the screen never changes it could also be a broken screen. Usually broken eink has a distinct artefact ( like a barcode stripe pattern, curved along the fault line, rectangular everywhere else ) but sometimes there's just nothing visible.

You can also try holding the power button for a minute. Not sure if the Glo HD still had a dedicated reset button (pinhole, paperclip), you could try that too.

If absolutely nothing else works, you'd have to open it up, and disconnect/reconnect the battery itself (or replace it) and you can also check the SD card. And if the display is cracked that's sometimes visible from the back as well (but also sometimes covered by all the other parts).
Advert
Old 06-04-2019, 06:58 PM   #6
kitkat8

It's been charging for 5 hours. I've tried the paperclip reset, and the holding down the power button. If there's an LED somewhere, I don't see it.

Yeah, the battery low was on it when it arrived. Seller claimed the product was tested, but that's a lie. What annoys me is that when I return it, they'll probably relist as broken and get as much or more than what I paid for it. There were 2 auctions, and the other person is happy with their ereader. Mine was the lemon.

Opening the case looks easy on Youtube. IRL, not so much.

Thanks for the replies @mathil and @frostschutz.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:18 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Glo HD should be easier to open than most other recent kobo readers, but yes, still difficult if you've never done such things before... and don't have the tools like spudgers, picks or washers or credit cards... anything flat yet not metal / sharp, yet strong enough to pop off the back cover held by those plastic noses without breaking any

they broke easily for old kobo touch/glo's... battery connector itself also isn't too sturdy. careful in all things you do

good luck

Last edited by frostschutz; 06-04-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 08:11 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
It's been charging for 5 hours. I've tried the paperclip reset, and the holding down the power button. If there's an LED somewhere, I don't see it.
There is a red LED behind the power button. It will come on when the button is pressed and the device is powering up.
Quote:
Yeah, the battery low was on it when it arrived. Seller claimed the product was tested, but that's a lie. What annoys me is that when I return it, they'll probably relist as broken and get as much or more than what I paid for it. There were 2 auctions, and the other person is happy with their ereader. Mine was the lemon.
If the battery is flat, the device should power on within a few minutes of being plugged in to charge. Though there does seem to be circumstances where it takes a while.
Quote:
I would have said the Glo HD was one of the easier to open devices. If you do open it, inspect the back of the screen for cracks. And check all the cables are plugin in properly. And reseat the SD card.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #9
kitkat8

Well, I got it open. I didn't try the regular Kobo Glo battery (purchased for my old glo), but I removed the SD and put it back in. Still dead. Battery? Maybe. Possibly it's just bricked.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:31 AM   #10
leftright
Addict
leftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneleftright makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Glo
Ensure battery is plugged in and terminal is correctly seated.
Ensure that the mains adapter is delivering power, (try another charger or measure voltage, try PC usb port for power).
Check/reseat all ribbon cable connectors.
Remove SD card and check contents on PC, If no/bad contents, get image.

If all above is good AND Red light Illuminates or Off when power on is selected but no screen display, there's something else wrong with the unit.

Last edited by leftright; 06-07-2019 at 12:42 AM.
leftright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #11
kitkat8

No red light. Nothing happens when plugged in. It's still got the same white "low battery" screen that it had when I got it.

I have a new regular Glo battery, 1200mAh, dimensions 42 52 4
From what I've read I need 1500mAh, dimensions 83 50 2.8

Before I spend twenty bucks and wait for a month for deliver from China, is there any risk trying the regular Glo battery? Because I still want to use this battery when my regular Glo dies.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #12
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
is there any risk trying the regular Glo battery?
the voltage counts (should be 3.7V for most kobos?), and the connector itself could be a problem ... as long as it's two wires you can just twirl it yourself

the dimensions are only relevant if you want it to fit in the case

the mah changes for every battery as it ages...

some readers even work without the battery just by putting the usb charger
Old 06-08-2019, 12:35 AM   #13
kitkat8

Thanks again.