Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-12-2016, 04:21 PM   #106
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
That's awesome. Also looking forward to someday seeing the Zelazny ebooks.
I'm a bit surprised that Amber #4 hasn't come out yet. #1 was July 14, #2 was September and #3 was November. I was expected #4 in January.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:36 PM   #107
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I'm a bit surprised that Amber #4 hasn't come out yet. #1 was July 14, #2 was September and #3 was November. I was expected #4 in January.
Doesn't look like February is the month either. Deus Irae, by Zelazny and Dick, the only Zelazny book I couldn't make it through, did come out though. Strange.
Advert
Old 03-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #108
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

I ran across the first two books of William Forstchen's The Lost Regiment series today. Hopefully, the rest of the series will soon follow. Another empty spot in my collection is being filled.

Most of Katherine Kurtz's Deryni series that wasn't available in ebook came out in ebook on Tuesday. I pre-order them a month ago when I first saw they were coming out.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:16 PM   #109
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

I am on a roll. Just picked up Juanita Coulson's Krantin Series (The Web of Wizardry and The Death God's Citadel) as ebooks. I ran across these two rather obscure fantasy books way back in the 80's. I wouldn't exactly call them Pultizer Prize material, but I enjoyed them a lot and I've re-read them a number of times over the years since then. Well worth trying, especially at the price ($4 each).
Old 03-11-2016, 08:08 PM   #110
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
I ran across the first two books of William Forstchen's The Lost Regiment series today. Hopefully, the rest of the series will soon follow. Another empty spot in my collection is being filled.

Most of Katherine Kurtz's Deryni series that wasn't available in ebook came out in ebook on Tuesday. I pre-order them a month ago when I first saw they were coming out.
I have them all in paper and am glad to see them starting to be available as eBooks. Hopefully the others will be released soon.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2016, 06:15 AM   #111
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

This being the time of year before the summer books come out, I've been buying some indie and some backlist. The indie was the standard indie pulp/fanfic quality stuff. The backlist was a number of Mike Resnick's books including the John Justin Mallory Mystery books and his Myths of the far future books (The Widowmaker series, The Oracle trilogy and the second of the Santiago books). I also picked up a couple of his more recent books. I really like his Far Future books, which is basically Outer Space as the Wild West. I'm not nearly as fond as his Outer Space as Africa being colonized books.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #112
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Picked up Roger Zelazny's Jack of Shadows in ebook today. A really fascinating book and perhaps slightly obscure.

I must say that I'm very puzzled by how the various Zelazny books have been released in ebook. Over the past three years since Zelazny ebooks started coming out -

May 14, 2013 - Damnation Alley
Mar 17, 2014 - The Last Defender of Camelot
Apr 10, 2014 - A Dark Traveling
May 8, 2014 - The Doors of his Face, The Lamps of His Mouth
May 8, 2014 - Isle of the Dead, Eye of the Cat
Jun 2, 2014 - The Dream Master
Jun 2, 2014 - Madwand (book 2 of the Changeling)
Jun 2, 2014 - This Immortal
Sep 26, 2014 - To Die in Italbar
July 14, 2015 - Nine Princes in Amber (book 1 of 12)
Sept 27, 2015 - The Guns of Avalon (book 2 of 12)
Nov 22, 2015 - Sign of the Unicorn (book 3 of 12)
Feb 2, 2016 - Deus Irae
May 1, 2016 - Jack of Shadows

No real rhyme or reason as far as I can tell. I can understand coming out with the less popular ones at first, just to get a feel for the market, but what happened to The Changeling? If you are going to put out book 2 (which isn't really a stand alone book), surely you should put out book 1. I thought that by now we should at least have the first six books of the Amber series, but they seem to have stopped after book 3. It's almost like whomever is begging people to pirate the missing books.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #113
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, here are the Zelazny books that are not in ebook yet

Amber -
Hand of Oberon (book 4)
Courts of Chaos (book 5)
Trumps of Doom(book 6)
Blood of Amber (book 7)
Sign of Chaos (book 8)
Knight of Shadows (book 9)
Prince of Chaos (book 10)

Others -
Lord of Light
Creatures of Light and Darkness
Today We Choose Faces
Doorways in the Sand
Bridge of Ashes
My Name is Legion
Roadmarks
Changeling
The Changing Land
Dilvish, the Damed
Here There Be Dragons
Way Up High
A Night in the Lonesome October

Me thinks that it will be a long, long time before we see Lord of Light.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #114
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The High House by James Stoddard and its sequels are now available for the Kindle.

http://www.rambles.net/stoddard_high.html

https://www.amazon.com/High-House-Ev...indle-redirect
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:40 AM   #115
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Lammas Night by Katherine Kurtz is coming out in July finally.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:35 PM   #116
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Lammas Night by Katherine Kurtz is coming out in July finally.
Thanks for the pointer. I have that in paper, but need it in ebook.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:07 AM   #117
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

After getting a pretty big credit from the Apple settlement, I decided to pick up some backlist books
1) Michael Scott Rohan's Winter of the World series
1) finish off Novik's Temeraire series

The Winter of the World series, the first three of which were written in the mid to late 80's and the last three about a decade later, is a pretty interesting fantasy series about a coming ice age. Like Forstchen's Ice Prophet series (another backlist series that I'm looking for in ebooks) I believe that it was inspired by the predictions of a coming ice age that were popular at the time.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:20 AM   #118
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The next four books in the "George Gently" series by Alan Hunter are being released on Thursday:

Gently Between Tides
Gently with Passion
Gently Heartbroken
Gently in the Past

Good to see these - it's a long time (March 2015) since the last releases.

I'm not sure of the order of these - the original titles have been changed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #119
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The next four books in the "George Gently" series by Alan Hunter are being released on Thursday:

Gently Between Tides
Gently with Passion
Gently Heartbroken
Gently in the Past

Good to see these - it's a long time (March 2015) since the last releases.

I'm not sure of the order of these - the original titles have been changed.
I'm not familiar with the series. What's it about?
Old 06-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #120
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm not familiar with the series. What's it about?
Quite a well-known British detective series. 46 books in total, written between 1955 and 1999. They're slowly being released as ebooks; these will be numbers 27-30 in the series.

It's been made into a popular TV series with Martin Shaw as Gently, but the TV series is different in many ways to the books, although many of the plots are taken from the books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backlist, backlisted books