Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-27-2019, 07:02 AM   #31
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
If that were true, it would infringe the license to give or sell a paperback. I have bought many second or thirdhand paperbacks from charity shops and car-boot sales.
Which I am pretty sure is handled by different laws and licenses. But, part of the assumption is that if you sell a paper book, you no longer have access to it. For an ebook, it is easy to keep a copy and could be hard to prove you didn't. And it might even be hard to get rid of all copies depending on your backup strategy.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:55 PM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
If that were true, it would infringe the license to give or sell a paperback. I have bought many second or thirdhand paperbacks from charity shops and car-boot sales.
A paperback book is not covered by a license, you have purchased a physical object. As such the concept of exhaustion (what our American friends refer to as the First Sale doctrine) applies (*). You have the right to do what you wish with it (read it, resell it, build a bonfire and roast hot dogs ). After all, unlike an ebook, it's pretty damn hard to sell a physical book and keep a copy for yourself. Much the same rules apply to vinyl records, CDs, etc. though those are getting iffy since it is relatively easy to create a digital copy of a vinyl record and trivial to do so with a CD.

* The doctrine stands for the proposition that the enforceability of the intellectual property rights embodied in a tangible object are extinguished, or ‘exhausted’, after its first sale. The rule, common law in origin, allows for the downstream re-sale of patented articles, trade mark adorned clothing, and textbooks without infringement.

For something more on the situation in the EU which last time I looked, the UK was still part of (I'll leave out my opinion of the handling of BREXIT), you might want to take a look at this item: The EU Principle of Exhaustion of Rightss for your entertainment.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-27-2019 at 07:01 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote