Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-14-2019, 01:41 AM   #1
dbareis
dbareis began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Sync or Transfer CC settings and eBook Library from One Android Device to Another

I've been using wireless sync to download books to my Nexus 7 tablet, this is not the whole calibre library. I have now bought a Samsung TAB A and wish to get the same setup on the new device in as painless a manner as possible.

At first I considered drop box and cloud connection but that seems to only be a poor substitute for the wireless connection to Calibre on my laptop and can't be used to sync state between multiple devices.

Is there a way to use Google Drive or DROPBOX to at least copy the books if not the settings?

Is there any export/import or Backup/restore mechanism I would be able to use?

I tried the CC FAQ, searching the web and this forum without luck. I thought it would be simple given that many people read from multiple devices.

Hopefully someone comes up with an answer, if not I'll continue looking...
dbareis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:41 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
See our FAQ Can I make a backup of my CC settings and CC's book database?

[Android] How do I reinstall CC without losing all my book information? has more detail on the steps.

You will need to copy the book files themselves. One way to do that is the one you suggest: use a cloud service as a file transfer agent. Another way is to use CC's sync updated books, which works because a missing book file is always considered "old". The steps:
  1. In CC go to Settings / Connecting to calibre and enable (check) the function Wireless device connection - sync newer.
  2. Connect to calibre as a wireless device using the line Wireless device / sync books.
  3. Wait.
If there is a network problem just run it again. It will pick up where it left off.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:25 PM   #3
dbareis
dbareis began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
See our FAQ [Android] How do I reinstall CC without losing all my book information? has more detail on the steps.

You will need to copy the book files themselves.
Thanks for that information, I did eventually find the option mentioned in the above link to backup everything except the book files.

The following hopefully helps someone in the future:

To transfer the files I used a program called "WIFILE" (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....netgel.wifile) which is a browser based file manager.

I used WIFILE to "download" the book folder on my nexus which gave me a zip file which I could transfer to the new device. Unfortunately this didn't have an unzip option so I used rar (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.rarlab.rar) to unpack the zip file.

Not that I read many books at once but I also wanted to look into syncing/restoring the reading position within the books. I use FBREADER (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ary.ui.android) so I found it has a "book network" options for syncing between multiple reader devices.

Last edited by dbareis; 04-15-2019 at 05:30 PM.
dbareis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #4
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Question Transfer CC Covers from One Android Device to Another

Hello:

What about the covers?

If I have the covers and library mapped on one device with covers on maximum possible resolution, how do I transfer that to another device, without having to resync all the cover again for max resolution?

Also: where is the cover data stored?

Awaiting your kind reply,

[INCANUS]

Last edited by Incanus; 04-15-2019 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
Hello:

What about the covers?

If I have the covers and library mapped on one device with covers on maximum possible resolution, how do I transfer that to another device, without having to resync all the cover again for max resolution?

Also: where is the cover data stored?

Awaiting your kind reply,

[INCANUS]
CC stores covers in its database. If you transfer the database from one machine to another then the covers will go along. Use CC's backup and restore functions to get a copy of the database.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:00 PM   #6
Incanus
Incanus

Transfer CC Covers from One Android Device to Another

Quote:
CC stores covers in its database. If you transfer the database from one machine to another then the covers will go along. Use CC's backup and restore functions to get a copy of the database.
Awsome! Will do.

Much obliged,

[INCANUS]
Old 04-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #7
Incanus
Incanus

Unhappy Transfer CC Covers from One Android Device to Another

Quote:
Awsome! Will do.
It worked... and then it didn't.
  1. First, I updated the cover size on one device (let's call it A) to 480px using the Wireless Device connection to Calibre: for +12.000 e-books, well, it took a while for A to complete this task
  2. Then, I made a full back-up of CC database for A
  3. I restored the A CC database back-up on another device (let's call it B).
  4. After restoring the CC database, B had it's covers on 480 px :-)
  5. Finally, I connected B to Calibre using the Wireless Device connection... and CC on B proceeded again to sync all of the covers for the +12.000 ebooks; for B, that did took a while, too :-(

Did I do something wrong?

Sick on sync, :-P

[INCANUS]
Old 04-16-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Did I do something wrong?

Sick on sync, :-P

[INCANUS]
It shouldn't do that if you are connecting to the same calibre library with the same cover settings. When you restored the database did you also restore the settings? If you didn't then CC probably synced to fetch a smaller cover.

I just ran a test. I don't have 2 devices at the moment so I simulated your process with one. I did the backup (equivalent to device A), cleared CC's memory (destroyed its database), started the now-empty CC (equivalent of device B), restored the database and settings, then connected. CC didn't download any covers.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
Incanus
Incanus

Red face Transfer CC Covers from One Android Device to Another

Quote:
It shouldn't do that if you are connecting to the same calibre library with the same cover settings.
Indeed: and so I was.

Quote:
When you restored the database did you also restore the settings? If you didn't then CC probably synced to fetch a smaller cover.
I did check and the settings were the same: 480px

Quote:
I just ran a test. I don't have 2 devices at the moment so I simulated your process with one [...] CC didn't download any covers.
Well, something did went wrong in my case: it's over and done, though, and I won't be repeating this procedure for the forseable future

'tis one of those CC users' life's little mistery

Kind regards,

[INCANUS]

Tags
export, sync, transfer