Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2017, 07:02 AM   #1
Sam Sahara
Connoisseur
Sam Sahara doesn't litterSam Sahara doesn't litterSam Sahara doesn't litter

Device: lambda k21
Vocabulary builder in Kobo fw

Is there any hope to see something like the kindle's "vocabulary builder" builded into the Kobo firmware in the next future? This is the very only feature missed in the Kobo devices.
Sam Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The last few versions of the Kobo firmware has had an unreleased "MyWords" feature. I think that's what you want. You can enable it by editing the config file and adding the following lines:

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
MyWords=true
Make sure you use a Unix line ending aware editor.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:06 PM   #3
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The last few versions of the Kobo firmware has had an unreleased "MyWords" feature. I think that's what you want. You can enable it by editing the config file and adding the following lines:

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
MyWords=true
Make sure you use a Unix line ending aware editor.
Just turned it on. What a wonderful feature! Wonder why they have left such a useful feature hidden...

Many thanks.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:01 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Just turned it on. What a wonderful feature! Wonder why they have left such a useful feature hidden...
I don't think it is finished yet. Though this version looks a lot better than the previous firmware.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:47 AM   #5
Sam Sahara
Connoisseur

Quote:
The last few versions of the Kobo firmware has had an unreleased "MyWords" feature...
It works. Thx.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
I don't think it is finished yet. Though this version looks a lot better than the previous firmware.
Too bad they didn't just put it in the Beta Features area under Settings then. It really is quite useful as is at the moment.

However, I do hope that they continue to develop it. It would be nice to be able to set up a variety of different lists rather than having everything dumped into one giant list. For example, it would be nice to set up a list for a specific language or a specific subject/topic.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:09 AM   #7
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Cool feature. I guess all these words saved in 'My Words' would be stored in some file on the device. Is there any way provided to export/pull-out the contents of this file to a computer subsequently?
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:39 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Cool feature. I guess all these words saved in 'My Words' would be stored in some file on the device. Is there any way provided to export/pull-out the contents of this file to a computer subsequently?
The word list is in a table in the database. It just has the word, the id of the book, language and date. Extracting it via an SQL statement would be easy. I'll put it on the list as something to do in the Kobo Utilities plugin, but it won't be to soon.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #9
Sam Sahara
Connoisseur

Quote:
I'll put it on the list as something to do in the Kobo Utilities plugin, but it won't be to soon.
Well, if it does not bother you think about putting on that list the possibility to save highlights and notes in a text file.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #10
marshap
Enthusiast
marshap began at the beginning.

Device: Libra 2
Is the word list lost when a firmware update is sideloaded?
marshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #11
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshap View Post
Is the word list lost when a firmware update is sideloaded?
As WordList is part of the database (i.e. one of the tables) I don't see why it would be lost.

It would be lost by anything which creates a new database, e.g. Factory Reset, signing In/Out on the device.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:06 PM   #12
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
I'll put it on the list as something to do in the Kobo Utilities plugin, but it won't be to soon.
Take your time, there is no hurry. The KU plugin will become more useful.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:32 AM   #13
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
As WordList is part of the database (i.e. one of the tables) I don't see why it would be lost.

It would be lost by anything which creates a new database, e.g. Factory Reset, signing In/Out on the device.
I can confirm that the wordlist isn't lost in a sideloaded FW update. It has just survived an update on my reader.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
featrure request, firmware, vocabulary builder