Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2019, 02:13 AM   #1
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Something like the Kobo mini

I sold my kobo mini two years ago and regret it. There are some available on eBay from time to time, but I was wondering what other eReaders are as small as the mini. 6” seems to be the industry standard, but are there eReaders even smaller than the 5” mini I haven’t heard of?

On a side note, I notice that the Clara is actually thinner than the mini. Can anybody offer a size comparison between the two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:19 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
On a side note, I notice that the Clara is actually thinner than the mini. Can anybody offer a size comparison between the two?
Mini: 133 x 102 x 10 mm, 134 g.

Clara HD: 159.6 x 110 x 8.35 mm, 166 g.

So yes, the Clara is actually thinnner than the Mini (and not all that much larger).
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Mini: 133 x 102 x 10 mm, 134 g.

Clara HD: 159.6 x 110 x 8.35 mm, 166 g.

So yes, the Clara is actually thinnner than the Mini (and not all that much larger).
The 6" Aura was also a pretty small reader, with dimensions of 150 x 114 x 8.1 mm

The Aura and Clara are pretty comparable in size. Not sure how they stack up against a Mini in real life.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The 6" Aura was also a pretty small reader, with dimensions of 150 x 114 x 8.1 mm

The Aura and Clara are pretty comparable in size. Not sure how they stack up against a Mini in real life.
Bigger.... I've checked
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #5
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beautyCyfranek does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
Well, I did a small comparision some time, and the smallest one is... PocketBook Touch HD 3: http://cyfranek.booklikes.com/post/1...nem-szesc-cali (in Polish).
Kobo Clara HD is on the 3rd place.
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:37 PM   #6
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Darn! I just sold my Mini about 3 weeks ago! Having said that, as much as I LOVED it all those years, after I had been using newer devices I went back to it and found it almost impossible to get along with - it was far more laggy, and even the small screen (which is why I loved it) was annoying me. I have switched to a Kindle as my main reader and find that the screen size is a really fair trade-off - it doesn't FEEL much larger and still fits in my purse (with a form-fitting case) but it is SO much faster and easier to read on.

I think the Clara is a similar size to the Kindle basic? Might be worth checking out a Clara or picking up a secondhand one. Good luck in your search!
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #7
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfranek View Post
Well, I did a small comparision some time, and the smallest one is... PocketBook Touch HD 3: http://cyfranek.booklikes.com/post/1...nem-szesc-cali (in Polish).
Kobo Clara HD is on the 3rd place.
Thanks for that review. The PocketBook Touch HD 3 does seem to be a nice piece of kit. It’s beautiful, but at $159, a touch too pricey for me at this time, especially for what I had in mind.

I was surprised that the Tolino Shiny 3 rated better than the Clara HD since they are virtually the same device.

I was hoping to find a small, compact ereader to carry with me when I go longboarding. I have an iPhone in my pocket with the Kobo app and others installed, but I need to preserve the battery for emergencies when I’m out on the board. I suppose I could pick up on old Kobo Touch for $25 off of eBay, but it lacks an illuminated screen.

It seems that the Clara HD is the closest I’m going to get to the mini with a Kobo device. I’m surprised that the 5” screen or smaller hasn’t been utilized in the market. Not even a cheap Chinese knockoff of the mini is out there.

Thanks for everybody’s feedback so far.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #8
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

I found this comparison list of 5” ereaders. It seems that the market has spoken and 6” is the entry level standard, though the field used to be ripe with 5” models. https://www.the-ebook-reader.com/ere...omparison.html
Old 05-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was hoping to find a small, compact ereader to carry with me when I go longboarding... I suppose I could pick up on old Kobo Touch for $25 off of eBay, but it lacks an illuminated screen.
Used to be you could pick up an old 6" Kobo Aura for $50 on eBay. That's a nice compact reader with an illuminated screen. Slightly shorter, though wider than a Clara.

The Clara is nicer, but if you're looking for cheap, the Aura is great device. I've been using mine for five years and it still works.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:06 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Thinner is irrelevant. I wish laptop & phone makers realised this too and made product with more battery capacity and more robust cases.

The PRS350 is a very nice size. It could be twice as fat and it wouldn't matter. I have one and it seems like it is designed for a clip on cover.

Designs that need clunky flip cases are inherently putting appearance ahead of function and yet you end up with something fatter and uglier than if it had a built in cover.

There are too few sizes of eink based ereaders. The dominance of one online retailer and one screen maker can't be helping. The idea too that readers have to be promoting one book retailer is also toxic (Kobo, Nook, Kindle) and may leave us with only the Kindle.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:46 AM   #11
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Used to be you could pick up an old 6" Kobo Aura for $50 on eBay. That's a nice compact reader with an illuminated screen. Slightly shorter, though wider than a Clara.

The Clara is nicer, but if you're looking for cheap, the Aura is great device. I've been using mine for five years and it still works.

Thanks for the suggestion. I found one on eBay for much less than that because it’s scratched. Made an offer.

I skated out too far tonight and was late coming back. The sun set, I hit a raised sidewalk crack, and I flipped end over end onto my back—right onto my KA1. It’s fine, but that stunt helped me realize I prize cheap more than small since the differences in weights and sizes are so negligible. Spills happen, but I’d rather I lose a cheap & old Kobo or Kindle than my cherished KA1.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:16 PM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I found one on eBay for much less than that because it’s scratched. Made an offer.

I skated out too far tonight and was late coming back. The sun set, I hit a raised sidewalk crack, and I flipped end over end onto my back—right onto my KA1. It’s fine, but that stunt helped me realize I prize cheap more than small since the differences in weights and sizes are so negligible. Spills happen, but I’d rather I lose a cheap & old Kobo or Kindle than my cherished KA1.

I checked eBay. I think that's the Aura 2 (the one with a blue button on the back). It's got a newer screen than my original Aura. Not sure if it is as small. But it's a decent reader.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #13
Nascarfan1972
Banned
Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.Nascarfan1972 is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Glo/Mini/Aura/Glo HD/Clara/Libra & Forma & Kindle PW
Quote:
I was hoping to find a small, compact ereader to carry with me when I go longboarding. I have an iPhone in my pocket with the Kobo app and others installed, but I need to preserve the battery for emergencies when I’m out on the board. I suppose I could pick up on old Kobo Touch for $25 off of eBay, but it lacks an illuminated screen.
Would it not be cheaper to just buy a powerbank with a capacity of 5000-10000mah that you could use to charge your phone?

If you got one with a solar charger, or bought a separate solar charger you could recharge your powerbank when you are not actually surfing.
Nascarfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:38 PM   #14
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Something like the Kobo mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascarfan1972 View Post
Would it not be cheaper to just buy a powerbank with a capacity of 5000-10000mah that you could use to charge your phone?

If you got one with a solar charger, or bought a separate solar charger you could recharge your powerbank when you are not actually surfing.

If buying a brand new ereader was the option, then buying a power bank would be much cheaper. However, getting a used ereader is much cheaper than getting a power bank. Regardless, I have a power bank, so your suggestion has a lot of merit. I wonder why I hadn’t thought of it. They’re a little heavy, but if the used Kobo Aura that arrives doesn’t work out (because it’s not backlit) then I may give your idea a try. That power bank won’t add too much weight to my backpack.

Solar chargers, however, are excellent ideas with poor implementation. If I am camping, and I have access to the sunlight all day long, then charging by sun will work, but they’re so slow that they are impractical for on the go charging. What solar charger do you use that doesn’t take hours on end?

Last edited by Cootey; 05-16-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:47 PM   #15
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
I checked eBay. I think that's the Aura 2 (the one with a blue button on the back). It's got a newer screen than my original Aura. Not sure if it is as small. But it's a decent reader.

This one? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F401767044178

Well, the price was right. As I said before, after that tumble I’m suddenly prioritizing cheap & disposable over a smaller form factor. I’m sure it’ll be fine, assuming it works. If this is a Kobo Aura Edition 2 with a backlight, I got a better deal than I realized.