Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
How do I change format from PDA to Sony Reader?

I am in the UK and eagerly awaiting delivery of my new Sony Reader. Meanwhile I am collecting some ebooks.

I have bought a collection of .lit books meant for a Pocket PC. I have successfully converted them to html then to lrf using the usual Convertlit and Calibre.

The problem is that the original ebooks were formatted for the small pocket pc screen and when I view them in Calibre the font is very big.

Is there a way to reformat the ebooks to work better with the Sony Reader? I am very new to this and am thrilled that I have successfully converted some DRM ebooks!

Many thanks for your advice.
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
If you are using the GUI. There is a setting in calbre, located on the fourth tab. Change the "Base Font" to your desired size. It sound like you like small fonts so I would start with 8.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
10 point is a good size on the 6" eink screen of the 505.

Code:
html2lrf --top-margin=0 --bottom-margin=0 --left-margin=0 --right-margin=0 --wordspace=1.1 --base-font-size=10 "name of the file"
That's what I would use to get no mragins and a 10 point base font size.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Many thanks guys, that worked fine.

One more question, though. One of the ebooks I converted has a mono-spaced font which is not as pleasing to read as a serif font. I tried changing the fonts in Calibre but this simply caused an error.

What do I need to do?

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:15 PM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I haven't actually tried it but I expect the following would work: use lit2oeb to extract the HTML, edit it, then use html2lrf with --use-spine option.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Changing the point size to 9 in Calibre works perfectly for me. It corresponds with the "S" font size on the reader; and scales up nicely to medium and large with a push of a button.

I also like Calibre to skip a line between paragraphs when it reformats the text. Thusly, it breaks the flow of thoughts into bite-sized chunks for my bite-sized brain

Tim
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:12 AM   #7
scgf
Connoisseur

I'm a bit of a novice with html, but I opened the main ebook htm file in an editor and added:

<span style="font-family: Times New Roman;">

to the section after <body>. Naturally I added </span> to the end, before </html>.

I have no idea what the difference is between <span style> and <font=> but at least it works. I am forced to use a font size of 10 because if I go to 9 in Calibre some characters are too close to each other.

What is interesting is that the lrf file is 0.4MB without specifying a font and 1.1MB with Times New Roman!

I did see <pre> before the main body text and </pre> afterwards, not sure what they do either.

Thanks again for the help - I am beginning to get a grip on it all!

Last edited by scgf; 08-23-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgf View Post
I have no idea what the difference is between <span style> and <font=>
There's no practical difference. Using a "span" is just a more modern way of doing it.

Quote:
I did see <pre> before the main body text and </pre> afterwards, not sure what they do either.
It means "preformatted". It tells the browser not to wrap lines, etc. You probably want to remove those tags.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:09 AM   #9
scgf
Connoisseur

Cheers HarryT.

I just tried removing <pre> from the html file and promptly lost all formatting - no paragraphs, chapters etc..
Old 08-23-2008, 08:23 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds as though the text doesn't have any formatting tags in it. That's not good!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote