Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #1
Iankilmister
Iankilmister began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Book designer - Spacing betwen words

Hi guys.

Ive been converting books to LRF from DOC and RTF documents lately.
Im having an issue with the spacing betwen word. It seems to be aleatory, even when you can modify the value in options when youre doing the LRF in Book Designer.

This_________is_________what _________I_________mean.
Sometime_the_spacing_betwhen_words_is_like_this
and___sometimes___is___larger___what___does___anno ying
to_____read_____the_____book.

Whas wondering if its a Book Designer Issue. Can I fix this? or its normal in all LRF documents?

Thanks
Iankilmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's because LRF does not support hyphens. So when the line is small enough, it just has to add in spaces.

Use ePub which is left justified and doesn't have that problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
Iankilmister
Iankilmister began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks for the information JSWolf

I'm trying Epub too, but the lack of Epub editors make it a bit hardder than whit lrf.

Ive been formating the htm with Book Designer and then making the epub with Sigil, but the software is still kinda slow.

Will try indesign for next books I guess

Thanks again.
Iankilmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankilmister View Post
Thanks for the information JSWolf

I'm trying Epub too, but the lack of Epub editors make it a bit hardder than whit lrf.

Ive been formating the htm with Book Designer and then making the epub with Sigil, but the software is still kinda slow.

Will try indesign for next books I guess

Thanks again.
InDesign works fine for ePubs. Epubs can be either left justified or full-justified; if you have full-justification set, you'll run into the same problem because of the no-hyphenation issue.

Just a point to consider: I think Calibre has a LRF setting to force left-justification. If you want to stay with LRF, you might look into that.

If you want full justification to look good (with hyphens, an optical margin, etc.), your only acceptable option at this point is to use either InDesign or TeX to produce a PDF.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote