Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #1
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Kobos at Wal Mart.... still happening?

This was announced in January, and though it did not list an impending date, I assumed something would have happened by now if it were going to.

Why make a splashy announcement and then do nothing until everyone has forgotten about it.

Anyone have some inside scoop? I'd love to buy one here in the USA, without having it shipped from Canada.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:43 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
This was announced in January, and though it did not list an impending date, I assumed something would have happened by now if it were going to.

Why make a splashy announcement and then do nothing until everyone has forgotten about it.

Anyone have some inside scoop? I'd love to buy one here in the USA, without having it shipped from Canada.
I had the impression that this wasn't going to happen until at least this Fall (Autumn), maybe not until Christmas time. There's a lot to get ready. I keep checking Walmart's website for hints but, so far, no go. There's more to the Walmart / Rakuten alliance than Kobo readers, so I'm pretty sure it's still on.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2018, 07:07 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:

because it was always more a pr stunt than a money-making endeavor?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:28 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
because it was always more a pr stunt than a money-making endeavor?
I don't think so. The Walmart CEO wants to compete with Amazon online. I think he sees this as one way of doing it.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:23 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
I'd love to buy one here in the USA, without having it shipped from Canada.
I realize you may have reasons for not wanting to buy online from Canada, but if you buy from Chapters etc (as opposed from Kobo.com which will charge you in US dollars) with the exchange rate on the dollar you can save a nice little bit of money even after shipping.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2018, 12:27 AM   #6
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I realize you may have reasons for not wanting to buy online from Canada, but if you buy from Chapters etc (as opposed from Kobo.com which will charge you in US dollars) with the exchange rate on the dollar you can save a nice little bit of money even after shipping.
$178 from Chapters, including shipping, for the H2O, and it came fast.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't think so. The Walmart CEO wants to compete with Amazon online. I think he sees this as one way of doing it.
He's competing by saying he sells ebooks, not by actually selling them. No one sells a lot of ebooks (other than Amazon), and it's going to stay that way because a half dozen of the largest suppliers won't allow price competition in the ebook market.

And even if they did, Kobo sells Epub. That is the HD-DVD in a market where everyone has settled on Blu-Ray, or Kindle.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:17 AM   #8
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
Maybe they working the software part out so that you can use your walmart account to buy the ebooks. But ill take a kobo over a kindle any day.
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:54 AM   #9
IronChaim
Do-er, All of the Things
IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Androids
Quote:
I think that's overly optimistic for such a large corporation. There would also need to be reason to start promoting it. I also expect that the absolute earliest we would hear/see anything from the Walmart side would be mid-Fall (in prep for Holiday season).
IronChaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
He's competing by saying he sells ebooks, not by actually selling them. No one sells a lot of ebooks (other than Amazon), and it's going to stay that way because a half dozen of the largest suppliers won't allow price competition in the ebook market.

And even if they did, Kobo sells Epub. That is the HD-DVD in a market where everyone has settled on Blu-Ray, or Kindle.
?? – Not selling them yet, but the plan (announced) is to co-brand the Kobo market and sell books on Walmart's web site (as well as in-store). I don't know how many Kobo books and readers Walmart will sell but I'm pretty sure it will be more than what Kobo is currently selling in the United States.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohhnyMix View Post
Maybe they working the software part out so that you can use your walmart account to buy the ebooks. But ill take a kobo over a kindle any day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronChaim View Post
I think that's overly optimistic for such a large corporation. There would also need to be reason to start promoting it. I also expect that the absolute earliest we would hear/see anything from the Walmart side would be mid-Fall (in prep for Holiday season).
I would imagine there's a lot to do to set up integrating Kobo with Walmart and co-branding on the website. Just getting enough Kobos to put a few in each store is going to take some time. I hope it works out. I would love to see Amazon get some competition.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Sadly, the library systems don't seem to agree. Outside than the USA, it's epub with the very rare pdf.

I do wonder about your use of everyone. How many companies other than Amazon supply ebooks solely in mobi/AZW3/whatever other Kindle format comes to mind.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-08-2018 at 05:44 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:27 PM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sadly, the library systems don't seem to agree. Outside than the USA, it's epub with the very rare pdf.

I do wonder about your use of everyone. How many companies other than Amazon supply ebooks solely in mobi/AZW3/whatever other Kindle format comes to mind.
Uh, we're talking about the consumer market, not libraries.

And by "everyone" I mean consumers, who are spending most of the money. Duh.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:28 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
?? – Not selling them yet, but the plan (announced) is to co-brand the Kobo market and sell books on Walmart's web site (as well as in-store). I don't know how many Kobo books and readers Walmart will sell but I'm pretty sure it will be more than what Kobo is currently selling in the United States.
So Walmart will increase Kobo ebook sales from diddly squat to about equal to a rounding error on Amazon's Kindle ebook sales.

yippee
Old 05-08-2018, 10:55 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
So Walmart will increase Kobo ebook sales from diddly squat to about equal to a rounding error on Amazon's Kindle ebook sales.

yippee
I'll guess we'll see what happens. You may be surprised at how many people are getting tired of Amazon taking over everything.