Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter

Just started this book, it's reading good so far... has anyone read it?
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Sounds weird --- sort of like "Adolf Hitler, Chimney Sweep."
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #3
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Believe it or not Abraham Lincoln actually was a vampire hunter of some renown back in the day. In fact, he was so successful, that I can assure you that tourists coming to Springfield, Illinois to see the Presidential Library, his home or New Salem will find their visit remarkably vampire free. We just don't hold with vampires in Springfield.

I've not read it, so I have no idea how truthful this novel is, but it has long been rumored that his girlfriend in New Salem, Ann Rutledge had been taken by Vampires and that had fueled not only his intolerance of the undead, but his first major bout with "melancholia" that drove him to near suicide.

All that is known with certainty, that over the next 15 years, every vampire (EVERY vampire) in Central Illinois developed a sudden urge to move to the swamps of Louisiana. Let's just say, the law wasn't the only reason he rode the circuit.

Last edited by GlenBarrington; 07-13-2012 at 10:18 PM.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
The idea of depicting one of the greatest figures in American history like this offends me to the core. Every time I see this title, I cringe.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #5
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
The idea of depicting one of the greatest figures in American history like this offends me to the core. Every time I see this title, I cringe.
That's mild. On a photography site I belong to someone has posted a bunch of photos of Lincoln, including two that were created in the 1980's of ol' Honest Abe with a hip and trendy spikey haircut. These photos were created by a local radio station in Springfield, Illinois for a billboard advertising campaign saying if Abe were alive today, there is only one radio station he would listen to. I know this because I was there and saw it and remember the stir it caused in the community.

Somehow, they have found their way to some non historically accurate photo archives and are almost always included now in photos of Abe. I find myself both amused and appalled by the situation, but I'm not sure what I can do to stop people from believing illogical, made up stuff.

I don't know, maybe if people want to believe Abraham Lincoln was a too hip, spikey haired, vampire hunter, who am I to say it's wrong.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2012, 02:16 AM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I read this last year from the library and it's mostly light, silly fun if you like "classics & monsters" mashups, although the prose style could use a bit of work and some it does tend to drone a bit with a sort of "vampires, vampires, did we mention he killed vampires?" obsessive-compulsive feel to parts of the narrative.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I have read this and I thought it was a better effort than Seth Grahame-Smith's Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. The book is written in the manner of a straightforward biography with quotes from letters and journals, both real and fictional.

The movie version is also entertaining but quite different from the novel. The movie adds, removes, or changes so many characters to the point that the film is more of an alternate history to an already alternate history, rather than an adaptation.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Rockbobster
Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Rockbobster knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Handspring Visor, Vtech Helio, Dell Axim x50v, Jetbook Lite, HTC Eris
That ship already sailed when Abe was on Star Trek and he helped Kirk fight against an assortment of baddies in hand to hand combat.
Rockbobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Read it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm sure my lack of offence taken by the material may have to do with me being Canadian. Like someone said above, the prose could use some work but definitely an enjoyable read if taken as it was meant: an entertaining work of fiction.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Got it, tried hard to like it, got half way through and hated it. Interesting premise, boring, rambling and unstructured execution sadly.

See your offence at depicting Abe as a vampire hunter......raise you Streep playing Thatcher - how anyone can play that monster is beyond me

Last edited by captkjaneway; 08-08-2012 at 12:21 AM.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Started it but simply could not finish it. I think "Interesting premise, boring, rambling and unstructured execution sadly" pretty much covers it.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote