Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-17-2018, 05:44 PM   #31
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Good point. I was going to say I might understand hoarding behavior for physical things, but not digital things. Then I looked at the quantity of old and useless messages in my email inbox, and oops, there goes my theory about that! My trash folder is even worse! Electronic hoarding .. it's a new sickness.
Mine, mine, all mine! muayh ha ha ha.

Hey, you never know when the zombie apocalypse is going to happen and you need lots of ebooks to read as you hunker down in your underground bunker without internet.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2018, 10:02 PM   #32
kcladyz
Lover of little parrots
kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcladyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 7", Paperwhite, iPad 9.7, ASUS 8, Fire & and 8 inch
I do not know my library rules. I generally only have 5 or less on hold at any time.
kcladyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
The local library has a limit of 5 checkouts and 5 holds. If you start borrowing multiple books per day for multiple days, eventually this will trigger an event that will have them looking at your borrowing history.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:35 PM   #34
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
I would doubt that this is a big thing at all. For the wide population of eBook users, there is probably only a very small percentage who even know how to strip DRM. And stripping it from library eBooks is probably known to only a small percentage of the original small percentage. Plus, library eBooks are free to borrow. There's not much incentive to strip DRM from them, since you can just re-borrow them if you want. I do suppose people could borrow from a library, strip DRM, and then sell the result on a pirate website. But I can't imagine there'd be a large market to buy pirated eBooks this way, since the buyer could have just borrowed the eBook from a library for free in the first place. There might be a bigger market for pirated eBooks that aren't available in libraries however. I satisfy my occasional need to get not-available-from-the-library eBooks cheaply by buying used mass market paperbacks instead. Or, I just live with the conclusion that there are so many books in this world that I can live without one specific one here and there.
I have no idea how to hack a library book and wouldn't do it even if I knew how. If there is a book I like enough that I want to keep it I will buy it. If I can't afford the price when it first comes out I'll wait a while until the price drops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
10 and 10 at the DFW library. I've never used all of either but have come close on holds. Since they let you know how many are in line in front of you, I try to anticipate that I'll be ready for a specific book when my turn comes. You can also "pause" a particular hold without (I think) having to start in the back of the line when you "unpause" it.
I wish that when you get the actual notification the hold is available, you could choose to pause it at that point. Usually if there is one person ahead of me it will take anywhere from a few days to the maximum 21 days for it to become available to me. However, there have been a few times when a hold became available sooner than I expected - perhaps someone ahead of me canceled or paused a hold, or maybe someone checked out the book and either read it very quickly or didn't like it and returned it right away - and I wasn't ready for it yet. Last time this happened I ended up returning without reading a book I'd already checked out, in order to be able to download the held book. (the one I decided to return was one I knew would have only a short hold list when I was ready to try again)
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:30 AM   #35
supermighty
Zealot
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paper White, Nexus 6P, Tab Pro 8.4
Quote:
there is probably only a very small percentage who even know how to strip DRM.
Sadly here is probably only a very small percentage of people who even know what DRM is.
supermighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:07 AM   #36
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
The Chapel Hill Public Library (the town library not affiliated with the University) has the highest circulation numbers of any public library in North Carolina. Our limits are:

Borrowers may have 50 items checked out at a time, with the following limits:
  • DVDs are capped at 10
  • New Books are capped at 6 (and cannot be renewed)
  • Friends’ books are capped at 2 (these are purchased by the Friends of the Library and are usually expensive or rare books)
  • Holds are capped at 15

As an alumna, I also have a borrowers card to the entire UNC System of libraries, which is up to 15 total on the Chapel Hill campus. There are no borrowing limits, save for if a faculty member wants a book I have checked out, I am required to return it within 2 days of being notified.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #37
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2, Kobo Mini
My library allows 5 loans and 12 holds, with loans lasting 7, 14 or 21 days. I'm pretty happy with that, as I can't imagine ever needing more than 5 ebooks on loan at the one time.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #38
azayn
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini 4, Sony PRS-505 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post
Sadly here is probably only a very small percentage of people who even know what DRM is.
That may be true but for the uninitiated, a step-by-step guide is just a Google search away. If one is technically adept enough to use Calibre for their ebooks, DRM is not a big deal at all
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:22 PM   #39
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
That may be true but for the uninitiated, a step-by-step guide is just a Google search away. If one is technically adept enough to use Calibre for their ebooks, DRM is not a big deal at all
I doubt majority of ebook readers (referring to people, not devices) use Calibre, either.

Indeed, most of the ebook readers I know use the Kindle. They're already used to buying from Amazon so the Kindle is a natural extension. Amazon makes it so easy to buy stuff. Honestly, library ebook borrowing can seem like a convoluted process to a lot of folks.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:30 AM   #40
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, HDX 8.9, AuraHD, NookHD+, Kindle 2,3,T, Opus, iPhone 6, +
My library offers 15 holds & 15 checkouts. I really wish the holds number was larger and am fine with the checkouts number (they could even reduce it for all I care).

When they start listing new books many months before they come out (one of my current holds comes out in November) and you need to get on the list as soon as you can to get the book within a few weeks/months of release (unless I'm lucky and place a hold the day they list it) it's quite easy to fill up 15 holds...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:31 AM   #41
bookaho!ic
Addict
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura
one library 20 checkouts (not sure on holds)
main one i use as its most often updated 6 checkouts and holds are incorporated so i have 4 on hold and can borrow another 2 - tbr is huge so i dont mind lol
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote