Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-19-2018, 05:46 AM   #16
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

Maude translation I think does not preserve all of the original French that Tolstoy used (something like 2% of the text). But otherwise seems a good choice. P&V leaves French intact and has English translation in footnotes, and for the most part their translations are well regarded. I also fantasize about reading it in Russian (of which I have an edition) but my Russian was never great and will need considerable ramping up.

It is unbelievable how many Kindle editions of WaP there are (probably over 60). And the descriptions and reviews are all mixed up.
Maude translation, OUP edition, preserves all French and gives translation in footnotes. It also has maps, principal characters and guide for pronunciation, list of historical characters etc. For Kindle version ASIN: B005X3S9J8

Interesting research on translations
http://ospidillo-blog.blogspot.com/2...and-peace.html
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:50 AM   #17
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Your screenshot would not show whether it has x-ray or not. Scroll down to the real details
Quote:
You need to scroll down to view other details/features: X-Ray is Enabled.
Sorry I jumped to the conclusion too quickly, I edited my post.

Last edited by PoP; 04-30-2018 at 08:37 PM. Reason: too, not to.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:43 PM   #18
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
No, same size but different md5:
Code:
# MD5 checksums generated by MD5summer (http://www.md5summer.org)
# Generated 2018-04-18 07:00:56

fc72d7aa8f3ed258a71df77079dab8bf *XRAY.entities.B00JCDK5ME.asc
Thanks. So file size might be a useful information, but not md5sum.

Quote:
By the way, this file is an sql data base that you can inspect using DB Browser for SQLite, I don't know how X-ray should be constructed but I saw that the "entity" table has null values where I think there should be book locations ...perhaps explaining the problem.
That got my hopes up, but my (few) other books with X-ray are the same and X-ray works as far as I can tell on those books. That is, in the entity table only the first row has an entry in the loc_label column. In all cases the id is 0 and loc_label is 1.

I think the problem might be that the excerpt table might have too few rows (only 165), but I haven't had any luck finding any of the first few in it, or figure out the start column. The start column doesn't seem to be the "location" number. It might be the byte number in the azw3.

Argh, I'm just now figuring out the value in the id column of the excerpt table is not related to the value of the id column of the entity table. It does look like the numbers in the related entries column are the id values in the entity column (seems to be the case in other books). In that case, all the values are from 777 through 809 (far too few), but entity they run 1 to 776, so no excerpt can ever be found.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:42 PM   #19
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is unbelievable how many Kindle editions of WaP there are (probably over 60). And the descriptions and reviews are all mixed up.
It is believable since it is widely considered to be one of the greatest novels of all time, it is in the public domain, some of the translations are in the public domain, and some of those are considered to be very good. Small publishers don't need to acquire rights or spend a lot of money and big publishers can throw in some copyrighted commentary or other addenda. And then there are all the translations still under copyright. Maybe it is unbelievable that there are only 60ish versions, some of which can be difficult to (re)find, including the one in question, if you are only searching on the 3 title words.

It does make for a mess on Amazon. Besides the reviews all lumped together, the hardback, paperback, and kindle versions aren't necessarily the same version (this happens for other books as well). On the other hand, there are phones of the same model that differ only in color and have completely separate reviews.

The messed up descriptions across all product categories could probably fill a book.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:02 PM   #20
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Its now working fine. At first it did not. I believe I did not get updates. but now I am reading this big ass book War and Peace. ill take me a year to read methinks
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #21
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Its now working fine. At first it did not. I believe I did not get updates. but now I am reading this big ass book War and Peace. ill take me a year to read methinks
That sounds like good news. Did you just leave it out of airplane mode for a while?

I haven't started it yet, but I use the Project Gutenberg version for measuring page turn battery usage and it looks like all the chapters are short and the randome sentences I've read have not been complex.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:08 PM   #22
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkindlefun View Post
I'm on firmware 5.9.4. and have that book. X-Ray works fine for me, I can select invididual instances without issue.
Can you let us know when you bought the book and what the size in bytes is for the XRAY.entities.B00JCDK5ME.asc file?

I am convinced that the XRAY.entities.B00JCDK5ME.asc currently being delivered by Amazon is very broken.

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:20 PM   #23
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

I have tried two more experiments.

First, I turned off airplane mode for several hours. That didn't help.

Next, I deleted the book via the list view GUI and deleted the sidecar directory and all its contents via my computer. Then I redownloaded the book OTA via the list view GUI, opened the book, and waited for the XRAY option to no longer be grayed out, then waited some more. Still broken, still the same XRAY.entities.B00JCDK5ME.asc file size, but different md5sum.

I've used sqlite to dump both databases. The dumps are identical and have the same md5sum.
md5sum B00JCDK5ME.sql
7a6f5970d3628dae93f5e3f647653656 B00JCDK5ME.sql

B00JCDK5ME.sql has unix newlines and is 545055 bytes long, which is barely longer than the database itself. I thought sqlite databases are supposed to be very compact.

To dump the db:
Code:
sqlite3 XRAY.entities.B00JCDK5ME.asc
SQLite version 3.20.1 2017-08-24 16:21:36
Enter ".help" for usage hints.
sqlite> .output B00JCDK5ME.sql
sqlite> .dump
sqlite> .exit

Last edited by j.p.s; 04-26-2018 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Add C[CODE] tag
Old 04-26-2018, 08:55 PM   #24
PoP
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FWIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Argh, I'm just now figuring out the value in the id column of the excerpt table is not related to the value of the id column of the entity table. It does look like the numbers in the related entries column are the id values in the entity column (seems to be the case in other books). In that case, all the values are from 777 through 809 (far too few), but entity they run 1 to 776, so no excerpt can ever be found.
Yep, sounds reasonable.

Quote:
I am convinced that the XRAY.entities.B00JCDK5ME.asc currently being delivered by Amazon is very broken.
Thanks.
Me too.

Quote:
I have tried two more experiments...
I have repeated your experiments.

Code:
Microsoft Windows [version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Tous droits réservés.

sqlite3 XRAY.entities.B00JCDK5ME.asc
SQLite version 3.23.1 2018-04-10 17:39:29
Enter ".help" for usage hints.
sqlite> .output B00JCDK5ME.sql
sqlite> .dump
sqlite> .exit

dir B00JCDK5ME.sql
2018-04-26  20:07           548,088 B00JCDK5ME.sql
               1 fichier(s)          548,088 octets

md5sum B00JCDK5ME.sql
dcfbcf7ae6771fd122c781f28da30185 B00JCDK5ME.sql
The 3 first lines of my B00JCDK5ME.sql have Unix "LF" newlines,
the 3032 next lines have Windows "CR LF" newlines, and
the last line 3036 terminates with no newline.

Different size and MD5.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:50 PM   #25
PoP

In addition,

Quote:
but I haven't had any luck finding any of the first few in it, or figure out the start column. The start column doesn't seem to be the "location" number. It might be the byte number in the azw3.
looking at the szarroug3's X-Ray Creator Caliber plugin on Github, the start column actually contains the offset in the book HTML (after extraction from the AZW3).

This quite insightful plugin helps understanding X-Ray files structure.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #26
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
In addition,

looking at the szarroug3's X-Ray Creator Caliber plugin on Github, the start column actually contains the offset in the book HTML (after extraction from the AZW3).

This quite insightful plugin helps understanding X-Ray files structure.
Thanks! I had only ever seen the thread for the microsoft windows only tool.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:36 PM   #27
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
:It is not free any more ($0.99), btw.
Quote:
but I don’t want to set myself back 99 cents now for something else.
I'm sorry for anyone that got taken for 99 cents. The good news is that it is free again.

It is still broken but I gritted my teeth and contacted support via chat. After a lot of back and forth and total dismissal based on an alleged absolute requirement that the Kindle be on the latest software version, they finally agreed to pass it on to the developers. It sounded like the developers will refuse to even consider based on Kindle s/w version.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #28
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkindlefun View Post
I'm on firmware 5.9.4. and have that book. X-Ray works fine for me, I can select invididual instances without issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Screenshots or it didn't happen.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:37 PM   #29
PoP

Won't appease War and Peace afficionados qualms, but stay faithful. I just got Anna Karenina for 0$. The X-Ray enabled feature on this one is *nt* broken.

Last edited by PoP; 05-11-2018 at 10:11 PM. Reason: rephrasing
Old 06-30-2018, 05:59 PM   #30
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Finally got one that works

After weeks of fruiltless chat and email exchanges with Amazon, a good X-ray file for War and Peace was delivered to my Kindle. They would never reveal whether they investigated whether something, somewhere, was broken with this specific book. Until a couple of weeks ago, they never made any promised follow ups. When they finally did, it was to apologize and provided a hard deadline.

When that plus 2 days passed, I contacted them again by chat, which was immediately passed to a specialist who insisted that the fix was to upgrade the firmware, even though I've bought several books since opening the issue where X-ray works just fine. I stewed on that for a few days and finally decided to jump through 1 more hoop to humor them. But first I did one more delete and reload of the book and this time an X-ray 250% the size of the original was delivered that worked, with no firmware update performed.

I guess I will never know what was causing the problem.

I do know that this has soured me on trying to interact with amazon customer service for anything other than problems with physical objects.

Tags
war and peace, x-ray