Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Moon+ Reader Pro "storage location" setting

Using the drop down menu, I checked the "storage folder" & on a tablet that didn't have any imported books, the location is the "/sdcard/Books/MoonReader". On the tablet that had imported books, the storage folder is shown as "/sdcard/ebooks/......." for each book.

I cannot find where Moon Reader puts its settings; there isn't anything in any of the sub-folders under "Android" to show how Moon Reader locates each book.

Mantano has its settings quite obvious so that I can copy the settings to another tablet so I don't have to re-enter anything for the book for a collection which will also automatically have a path to where the books' are really located.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:57 AM   #2
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
The settings for Moon+ are hidden. Pick a file Explorer app that can show hidden files and you'll be able to access it. Here is a screencap. Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1423555052908.png
Views:	5240
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	134670
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #3
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
The settings for Moon+ are hidden. Pick a file Explorer app that can show hidden files and you'll be able to access it. Here is a screencap. Attachment 134670
Thanks, but the settings for the imported books are not there; been there, done that.

The ".Moonreader" directory only has the cover pages of each book but not the path and doesn't include the book itself.

The "Moonreader" folder only has the 3 books that was part of Moonreader or automatically installed the free public domain books.

Just toying with the idea of using CC to do the book management with customized collections/shelves;; will probably continue using Aldiko to do the "management" only as cannot render any images when reading an ebook when the resolution of the tablet is at 2650x1600 like the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 & Fire HDX 8.9.

Not sure even possible to have a book manager integrated with my own choice of ereader app(s) using a customized collections method.

Last edited by crane3; 02-10-2015 at 01:43 PM. Reason: added into: Aldiko won't render images at 2650x1600 displays
Old 02-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #4
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
Thanks, but the settings for the imported books are not there; been there, done that.

The ".Moonreader" directory only has the cover pages of each book but not the path and doesn't include the book itself.

The "Moonreader" folder only has the 3 books that was part of Moonreader or automatically installed the free public domain books.

Just toying with the idea of using CC to do the book management with customized collections/shelves;; will probably continue using Aldiko to do the "management" only as cannot render any images when reading an ebook when the resolution of the tablet is at 2650x1600 like the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 & Fire HDX 8.9.

Not sure even possible to have a book manager integrated with my own choice of ereader app(s) using a customized collections method.

This might sound dumb, but have you Imported the books via Moon+ yet? That's the only reason that I can think of why your books aren't there.

I use Calibre Companion along with Moon+ (But I am now transitioning to Pocketbook).

For now, I'm using Calibre and Calibre Companion to sync my books between my computer and my phone. I don't open Moon+ on its own. I just use Calibre Companion to browse for books then press read and it'll launch Moon+ for me.

Now I'm tempted to mess with my Moon+ reading progress and restore it, see if it will work. I'll post the update here.

But not to badmouth Moon+... It really had one of the worst CSS format renderer out there. I've recently posted a thread here comparing how Moon+ handles internal CSS versus other apps.

Now I'm using Pocketbook but still have Moon+ just for the references in reading progress on the books I'm reading.

Okay, so creating a back up and restoring on Moon+ don't restore the reading progress. That sucked.

I'm also at the point where I'm regretting every purchasing Moon+.

If you want an alternative, you can check Pocketbook https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....obreey.reader

I've tested restoring from a back up and it does restore the reading progress.

Last edited by hleo12; 02-10-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #5
hleo12
Guru

Okay.

So I'm gonna make another post since it has become all convoluted.

Basing in your original post, you wanna use Calibre Companion along with Moon+ to organize your books.

I don't exactly know what you're planning to do with the settings, but they are probably hidden or has a proprietary file extension that only Moon+ can make sense of.

If you are planning to use Calibre Companion, then, as I've posted above, you will use Calibre Companion to view your library. Then you can launch Moon+ when you press "Read" on a book. You don't have to use Moon+ or import books using Moon+.

Calibre Companion has its own default directory named Calibre_Companion and all the books from Calibre will go there.

Don't change the directory of Moon+ to match Calibre Companion's. They have to have a separate directory since you'll be treating Moon+ as an app to ONLY read books on and not manage them.

Android has some hinky rules about multiple apps managing the same directory.

As for the settings and reading progress, I've confirmed that all books that haven't been imported using Moon+ will not be included in the back up.

But the thing is, if you use Calibre to manage your books on your computer, then it is to your advantage to use Calibre Companion.

Many users have paired it with Moon+, but personally, Moon+ has been getting worse in the support department.

That's why I'm transitioning to Pocketbook.
Advert
Old 02-10-2015, 09:30 PM   #6
crane3
Guru

"This might sound dumb, but have you Imported the books via Moon+ yet? That's the only reason that I can think of why your books aren't there."

The books were imported by Moon+; did another book to check & the same thing happens. I think you may have gotten confused with the presence of *.epub.png files with the books themselves; they're the cover pages & not the links to the books.

I'll leave it alone but will be looking to see if I can do custom shelves to indicate collections as it would serve the same purpose. Going back to Mantano for now; as I'm OK with using it for reading; nothing special needed for me as Mantano does do collections.

I was just hoping something similar is available with Moon+ but do now feel better in that "importing" just create links to the existing books rather than a copy. Hope Moon+ developers will do custom shelves/collections before my book library get too much larger & more tedious in having the books in the collection type I want instead of using the tags to do so.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:54 PM   #7
hleo12
Guru

I should have mentioned that Moon+ don't copy the books but only links it to the app. But that's what I also liked about Moon+.

If you're worried about sorting your books into folders, you can do that via Calibre. Depending on your settings, once you send the books Calibre will automatically create folders (by author or series).

Here's my current set up. They're all sorted in folders via Author name. And they have the series, title, and author.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1423626772682.png
Views:	1714
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	134729
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1423626798872.png
Views:	1149
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	134730
Old 02-11-2015, 09:35 PM   #8
crane3
Guru

The Aldiko has its files formatted similarly to how Calibre does on the PC; it's just the database setups that are probably different.

Access to the books isn't the problem; selecting the books by collection/shelf first is most desirable in how I like to do it; both Aldiko & Mantano does have that capability; would be nice if Moon+ can have another item/grouping for custom collections.

I don't perceive a problem with Mantano is "saving" the place of the book when "exiting" the book & doing some stuff & running other apps then returning since I don't expect Mantano to keep a history of what I do while I am not in Mantano as it isn't "running"; haven't gotten any problem in returning to the page when re-selecting Mantano & the book if needed.