Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-17-2023, 01:11 PM   #1
Barbas
Enthusiast
Barbas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 10th (2019)
Downgrade a jailbroken Kindle 10th gen from 5.15.1

Hi there,

I have a jailbroken Kindle 10th gen that, due to a temporary deactivation of the renamed OTA files, upgraded to firmware version 5.15.1

I still can ssh into it, but am unable to "install" KUAL (the kindlet doesn't show up).

I'd like to know if there's a way to manually downgrade it back to 5.14.2 (or earlier).

Thanks a lot.
Barbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 02:02 PM   #2
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbas View Post
Hi there,

I have a jailbroken Kindle 10th gen that, due to a temporary deactivation of the renamed OTA files, upgraded to firmware version 5.15.1

I still can ssh into it, but am unable to "install" KUAL (the kindlet doesn't show up).

I'd like to know if there's a way to manually downgrade it back to 5.14.2 (or earlier).

Thanks a lot.
You need the booklet version of KUAL.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2023, 02:21 PM   #3
Barbas
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
You need the booklet version of KUAL.

Dave
Thanks for you answer.

I'll try to explain myself a bit better.

What I mean is that, even though the installation of KUAL Coplate through ;log mrpi is successful, the "KUAL cover" doesn't show up in my library. Thus I can't run any KUAL extension.
Old 02-17-2023, 03:38 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Thanks for you answer.

I'll try to explain myself a bit better.

What I mean is that, even though the installation of KUAL Coplate through ;log mrpi is successful, the "KUAL cover" doesn't show up in my library. Thus I can't run any KUAL extension.
Does KUAL show up when you use list view instead of grid view?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 04:22 PM   #5
Barbas
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Does KUAL show up when you use list view instead of grid view?
Nope.
Advert
Old 02-17-2023, 10:16 PM   #6
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Well if you can SSH into your Kindle you can (as a temporary solution until you downgrade & fix KUAL) just directly execute the scripts & commands that KUAL extension's button "action" would normally do.

As for the downgrade: you could either do necessary edits to
that /etc/version.txt manually via SSH / USBNetworking as mention in original discussion of that latest downgrade method:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346784

or download and copy "Downgrader 2.0" KUAL extension:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347165

And execute the appropriate script command (that you would find and copy from extension's "menu.json", you would need to either use absolute path instead of the relative one written inside "action" property or cd into extension directory) via SSH to automate that file edit and triggering device reboot and firmware downgrade.

I"ve noticed that your profile's device info states that you have "Kindle Paperwhite 10th gen" and you original post you're asking about "Kindle 10th gen". So, which model is this discussion about?

Read both those threads very carefully especially the last couple in Downgrader 2.0 thread and seriously consider possibility of clearing all the necessary database files via SSH before doing a downgrade from 5.15.1.
And double-check that those 2 ota binary files are indeed restored otherwise that older firmware install will fail.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 06:35 AM   #7
Barbas
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Well if you can SSH into your Kindle you can (as a temporary solution until you downgrade & fix KUAL) just directly execute the scripts & commands that KUAL extension's button "action" would normally do.

As for the downgrade: you could either do necessary edits to
that /etc/version.txt manually via SSH / USBNetworking as mention in original discussion of that latest downgrade method:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346784

or download and copy "Downgrader 2.0" KUAL extension:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=347165

And execute the appropriate script command (that you would find and copy from extension's "menu.json", you would need to either use absolute path instead of the relative one written inside "action" property or cd into extension directory) via SSH to automate that file edit and triggering device reboot and firmware downgrade.

I"ve noticed that your profile's device info states that you have "Kindle Paperwhite 10th gen" and you original post you're asking about "Kindle 10th gen". So, which model is this discussion about?

Read both those threads very carefully especially the last couple in Downgrader 2.0 thread and seriously consider possibility of clearing all the necessary database files via SSH before doing a downgrade from 5.15.1.
And double-check that those 2 ota binary files are indeed restored otherwise that older firmware install will fail.
Thanks a lot for the tips!

I was thinking about executing the scripts when SSH'ed, but I was afraid I could break something.

And I hadn't read about cleaning the databases...

So I will try out your suggestions.

Cheers!

P.S. I edited my profile, I now own a 10th gen Kindle Touch Basic.
Old 02-19-2023, 03:23 PM   #8
Barbas
Enthusiast

Hi there,

I haven't tried yet to downgrade my Kindle.

I have a question, though. Looking at my device's info (see picture), I see that the firmware version is 5.15.1, but the code that follows (352856) points to 5.11.1.1 version. However, the minor part (042) corresponds to 5.15.1

How's that? Should I be worried that my device is messed up? Is there a way to check what actual firmware version it is running other than by looking at those info?

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230218_193841_ed.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	199819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2023-02-18-10-21-13-85_80c65855c2fd87fe33c18da258042f3e.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	979.7 KB
ID:	199820  

Last edited by Barbas; 02-19-2023 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Added details
Old 02-19-2023, 04:22 PM   #9
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
5.15.1.1 may or may not be a hotfix to address an issue that causes the UI to break, I remember half of /r/kindle getting very upset about this the other week. I wouldn't worry about the version numbers not corresponding.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 12:05 PM   #10
Barbas
Enthusiast

UPDATE

Hi all,

something weird happened!

After trying a downgrade (/etc/version.txt had been modified and "ota" commands restored to their original filename) my kindle is stuck as per enclosed picture.

I tried several times to reboot, nothing happens, but I can connect my kindle to my PC through the USB port. The memory is filled with crash files (eg rcm_1396_042-juno_1501_jaeger_rex-352856.core).

Is the device bricked? If not, what can I do to bring it to life?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20230219185801.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	968.3 KB
ID:	199832  
Old 02-20-2023, 03:00 PM   #11
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you have USBNet installed before the downgrade? Some logs from the device would be helpful to work out what's going on here.

You might have luck with adding an empty file named "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" to the device over USB and forcing a reset by holding the power button down.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:22 PM   #12
Barbas
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
Did you have USBNet installed before the downgrade? Some logs from the device would be helpful to work out what's going on here.
I did, but right now the Kindle in USB storage mode and I have no way to access the logs (except crash report files or whatever they are).

Quote:
You might have luck with adding an empty file named "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" to the device over USB and forcing a reset by holding the power button down.
I didn't think of that, actually. Will try it out.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2023, 03:43 PM   #13
Barbas
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks, that did the trick! Thanks a lot!

I'm now trying to re-install the JB Hotfix (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1597). The "Update your Kindle" option is greyed out, I tried a "Hard reset", but the updating didn't go through (update error: 2).

Last edited by Barbas; 02-20-2023 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Corrected typo
Old 02-20-2023, 06:11 PM   #14
katadelos
rm -rf /

Quote:
Thanks, that did the trick! Thanks a lot!

I'm now trying to re-install the JB Hotfix (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1597). The "Update your Kindle" option is greyed out, I tried a "Hard reset", but the updating didn't go through (update error: 2).
You'll probably need to jailbreak your device once more if there's no output from typing ;log mrpi in the search bar.
Old 02-26-2023, 03:25 PM   #15
Barbas
Enthusiast

Hi there,

I thought it was good to update:

Success:

1. I was able to install the hotfix;

2. I installed KUAL, USBNetwork, Python3, renameotabin, MRPackages installer, MailPush, KOreader.

Failures:

1. KOreader icon/booklet doesn't show up in Kindle library;

2. Whole system is quite unstable.

I haven't tried a proper downgrade yet.

Cheers!

Tags
kindle 10th kt4