Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
Dream Kindle...

I was thinking today that really I my dream Kindle setup would be a 10 inch kindle for reading at home and a paperwhite for reading on the go and the great sync system would work perfect. Why Amazon do you not give us some great device options?
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:03 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Amazon used to have a Kindle DX but when tablets became more common, it probably didn't sell enough to justify newer updated models.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2018, 12:10 PM   #3
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
If you have a ten inch tablet with the Kindle app your reading will sync with a paperwhite.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuregrace View Post
I was thinking today that really I my dream Kindle setup would be a 10 inch kindle for reading at home and a paperwhite for reading on the go and the great sync system would work perfect. Why Amazon do you not give us some great device options?
Because when Amazon did sell a 10" Kindle (the DX) it was not a great success. Did you buy one?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:12 PM   #5
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Amazon gives us great device options. Your complaint is that they won't fire up the research department to produce what you and two other people want. Half of what you want is the great Paperwhite. I read on my Paperwhite at home, in Sam's Club, waiting in the doctor's office, and sitting in the park.

I had the DX first because I'm old and thought bigger would be better. I was wrong and the DX and it cost me $460. Care to guess why they don't make, and sell, the DX any longer? That was in July of 2010.

Since then, Kindles have gotten better and better till they peaked with the Paperwhite. And, it sounds like they might be going a bit higher with the Paperwhite 4.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2018, 10:04 AM   #6
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
I think Samsung is developing a folding phone. Maybe the technology will become cheap enough for ereaders. It would be nice to be able to fold up my new Kobo Forma for easy transport.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #7
FlyHero
Member Retired
FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.FlyHero knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Amazon gives us great device options. Your complaint is that they won't fire up the research department to produce what you and two other people want. Half of what you want is the great Paperwhite. I read on my Paperwhite at home, in Sam's Club, waiting in the doctor's office, and sitting in the park.

I had the DX first because I'm old and thought bigger would be better. I was wrong and the DX and it cost me $460. Care to guess why they don't make, and sell, the DX any longer? That was in July of 2010.

Since then, Kindles have gotten better and better till they peaked with the Paperwhite. And, it sounds like they might be going a bit higher with the Paperwhite 4.
I simply do not understand these sort of argumentative replies that dismiss someone's wishes and tries to refute their subjective opinion with things like "Your complaint is that they wont develop what only you and two others want". If you don't have the same wishes and complaints fine...but you don't need to try and counter someone else's. Nobody is insulting you and it's not a personal attack if someone doesn't like what you like. Amazon clearly doesn't make what the OP wants yet you somehow need to lecture them about why they are "wrong". It's infuriating how people can't just answer questions and discuss things without the adversarial nonsense and needing to tell others why THEIR wants and questions are "wrong".

Last edited by FlyHero; 11-04-2018 at 03:17 PM.
FlyHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:25 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The pertinent point is that they did produce exactly what the OP is asking for, but it was a flop.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:50 AM   #9
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
It sounds like what is wanted is a large screen device for home use and the paperwhite for on the go, with the ability to have the two sync.

As I had mentioned upthread, these needs can be met with a 10 inch tablet with the Kindle app - or the ten inch Kindle Fire, if it must be Kindle - and the paperwhite. Problem solved, unless an unmentioned need is that both devices have the e-ink screen.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:41 AM   #10
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hap124 View Post
I simply do not understand these sort of argumentative replies that dismiss someone's wishes and tries to refute their subjective opinion with things like "Your complaint is that they wont develop what only you and two others want". If you don't have the same wishes and complaints fine...but you don't need to try and counter someone else's. Nobody is insulting you and it's not a personal attack if someone doesn't like what you like. Amazon clearly doesn't make what the OP wants yet you somehow need to lecture them about why they are "wrong". It's infuriating how people can't just answer questions and discuss things without the adversarial nonsense and needing to tell others why THEIR wants and questions are "wrong".
I can certainly understand why you find someone saying someone is wrong is offensive. The fact is, Amazon did make it, people didn't buy it and some, like me, were foolish enough to buy it and realize they were "wrong". It was a stupid mistake. I don't mind saying I was "wrong".

I congratulate Amazon for keeping quality ereaders, like the Paperwhite, affordable and fully functional. I would like to see USB C and rapid charging but in the meantime I'm delgihted with my affordable Paperwhites and eagerly await my new Paperwhite 4.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The pertinent point is that they did produce exactly what the OP is asking for, but it was a flop.
Why do you consider it a flop?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Why do you consider it a flop?
Because Amazon stopped making it. If it wasn't a flop, they would still make it.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Because Amazon stopped making it. If it wasn't a flop, they would still make it.
Exactly. The DX was a 10" Kindle 2. The fact there hasn't been a 10" model of any later Kindle shows that in Amazon's eyes it didn't succeed.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:56 AM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Exactly. The DX was a 10" Kindle 2. The fact there hasn't been a 10" model of any later Kindle shows that in Amazon's eyes it didn't succeed.
I would say the DX wasn't their best seller, but not a flop.

Just because they stop making something doesn't make it a flop. They don't make Kindle Keyboards anymore. They don't make Voyages any more. ...

Just seems like "flop" is an exaggeration to prove a point.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:25 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I would say the DX wasn't their best seller, but not a flop.

Just because they stop making something doesn't make it a flop. They don't make Kindle Keyboards anymore. They don't make Voyages any more. ...

Just seems like "flop" is an exaggeration to prove a point.
But each of those has had a direct successor. The 6" K2 was succeeded by the K3. The 10" K2 was never replaced. If you recall at the time, Amazon were primarily marketing the DX as a platform for eTextbooks, and that's a market that just didn't take off at that time.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-05-2018 at 09:27 AM.