Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
dr1ver
dr1ver began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK STR
T1 screen compared to Kindle Touch

i couldn't decide btw the 2 so i bought both to compare.

i really like the screen of the kindle compared to the T1. the background on the kindle is noticeably lighter than the T1 and the text is darker and crisper than the T1 also. i'm not sure how well this can be seen in the pic, but i can certainly tell. i've tried all the fonts available on the T1 and they all look less defined and more "fuzzy" than the kindle's.

on the other hand, the T1 is noticeably lighter. an ounce really makes a difference after about 30 mins of holding it with 1 hand. i also like physical buttons for turning pages with 1 hand. also, the glossy bezel of the T1 doesn't bother me like i thought it would. however, i've only used it at night so i might change my mind outdoors.

i don't use the audio features, nor the browser so i don't care about those things. if i hadn't used the kindle touch, i'd think the T1's screen was fine. but unfortunately i have. so each time i use the T1, i can't help but think about how much better the kindle's screen is. i don't know which one to keep now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20111219_001724.jpg
Views:	993
Size:	539.6 KB
ID:	80132  
dr1ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:19 AM   #2
ThomasK
ThomasK began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I've read somewhere that there is a different classes of eInk Pearl: A and B.
PRS-T1 has A class display and Kindle Touch B class. I have only Sony reader, so I can't compare those two. Maybe someone here knows better.
ThomasK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
From the pictures, it actually looks like the Sony has the lighter background. Did you try adjusting the brightness/contrast on the Sony? That will show a remarkable difference compared to default. Also change the default font to something better, I think generally Amasis is considered quite good by T1 users so far. Sony's default font isn't as good as Kindle's Caecilia font.

But the screens are identical e-ink. It's possible to get variations though between screens, even from the same manufacturer, it's just the luck of the draw. I have 2 PRS-350s and the 2nd one I bought is noticeably brighter with better contrast. Not that the first one isn't still a pure joy to read from, just the variations you can encounter. Someone else having both the 650 and T1 might have a brighter T1 compared to their Kindle.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The contrast settings on the T1 won't really change the actual contrast of black and white. All you'll do to text is reduce the anti-aliasing and end up with text that has more visible jagged edges (and therefore appear less blurry) if you prefer to read that way.

Unfortunately, Sony released the T1 with a broken font rendering engine. Changing the default font (to Amasis for example, whcih does look very good) is a good way to ensure that text formatting (such as Italics) doesn't always (I find, often doesn't) work. To improve the visual rendering of ebooks on the Sony without glaring flaws, you pretty much have to embed the font in th epub.
rashkae is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
lkkmaths
lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.lkkmaths for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kindle 3; PRS-350
I've come across 350, T1 and K3.

I like 350 best because of its crisp fonts and most comfortable form factor.

But honestly I feel K3 has the sharpest contrast and is easiest to read, though 350 comes close.

Once my dream reader is a kindle with 350 form factor. It never comes true. (Once I install kindle fonts on 350. They just do not look the same.)
lkkmaths is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The comparison is invalid, because you are not using the same font.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post

Unfortunately, Sony released the T1 with a broken font rendering engine.
Is that still the case with the latest firmware? Has Sony acknowledged this problem?
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1ver View Post
i couldn't decide btw the 2 so i bought both to compare.

i really like the screen of the kindle compared to the T1. the background on the kindle is noticeably lighter than the T1 and the text is darker and crisper than the T1 also. i'm not sure how well this can be seen in the pic, but i can certainly tell. i've tried all the fonts available on the T1 and they all look less defined and more "fuzzy" than the kindle's.
In order to compare the screens accurately, you need to switch the positions of the readers while comparing. That is, compare them first with the Kindle on the left and then with the TI on the left.

Someone pointed out in another thread that a slight difference in light really makes a difference when doing such comparison.

As for which one to keep, I would base my decision solely on which one is better for reading. Maybe try the same book 10 minutes on each and see which is preferable.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I don't think the screen is what makes most of the difference here, but rather the font. The Kindles I have played with use a very saturated font. To compare the screens, like it has been pointed out, you need to have the same font on both devices.
Some people think the very saturated Kindle font is great (it does make reading easier), others hate the look of it. Me, I'm somewhere in between, but I have put a more saturated font on my Sony 950 for better visibility (one of Georgia eInk fonts).

Last edited by Asawi; 12-19-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #10
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I just compared my Kindle Touch to My T1. The background on my T1 is a bit (not much) darker than on my KT. The fonts on the KT are bolder than the fonts on the T1.

I guess I hadn't really payed any attention till OP brought it up.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
There was a recent discussion on this topic with more image comparisons in this thread link.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156446

My opinion is that the T1 is the best of the 6 & 7" Sony models for readability. It is much improved from past models, and I am very pleased with it. I've had the 500, 505, 900 & 950. Text is darker, and I really like the font options. I have a K3 too, and it looks nice as well. However, I read more on my T1 than on my K3. If you visit the Kindle forums, several posters are upset with their K4's because they think the screen is not as nice as the K3. I think all that really matters is can you read comfortably on it and does it work for your eyes.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #12
Lalilulelo
Enthusiast
Lalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the roughLalilulelo is a jewel in the rough

First time I read the background of the Kindle is whiter than that of the T1. All the reviews I've come across say different, some of which went thru the trouble of taking pictures, and using the eyedropper tool to measure the amount of light with photo editor programs. But then just like battery performance, this could differ from one reader to the next.
Lalilulelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #13
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Here's the most recent threads discussing the screen variations:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156446
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=155365&page=4 (Page 4 is where the screen variation comes up in this thread.)
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #14
DirkGently
DirkGently began at the beginning.

PRS-T1 is my first reader and I can't compare with anything at all but annoyingly enough I find the screen quite dark. I have no idea how I'm going to get used to this.
Damn if only I had known about panel lottery in the devices beforehand.
DirkGently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #15
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGently View Post
PRS-T1 is my first reader and I can't compare with anything at all but annoyingly enough I find the screen quite dark. I have no idea how I'm going to get used to this.
Damn if only I had known about panel lottery in the devices beforehand.
Pick yourself up a PRS600, use it for a month and you'll be happy with the T1 for the rest of your life.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote