Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
Spr
Spr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Interesting Application for an eReader

I have an interesting application for an eReader device and I'm looking for recommendations from the forum.

I'm in the military and will be soon deployed to a certain hot and dusty place.

I carry numerous booklets, references, and aide-memoirs on myself at all times. I've been thinking lately that it would be much easier to carry an electronic version of these in an eReader device instead.

Especially useful would be image viewing capabilities (color not necessary, but 16 shades of grey would be), easy to navigate folder system, and a search function. Anything to make it easier to get to the right document quickly.

I haven't found any references to how rugged these devices are, so I hoped people in the forum would give me an idea based on their experiences with different devices.

Joshua
Spr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I just got the Kindle3. I'm not sure that it would survive harsh conditions - dust into keyboard nooks (no pun) and crannies. Also water/rain might kill it. Paper is flexible, can be folded and mutilated and still be readable and does not need recharging. But there may be specialized "armored" readers out there.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 04:55 AM   #3
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
There have been some militiamen about to be deployed asking for reader advice. I'd stick with something with as less buttons as possible, so that the inclement weather conditions don't screw up the device. A nook (using a touchscreen) coupd be a good idea though it's a bit big and the battery drains down a bit too fast if you don't have electricity sockets handy.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #4
HedgeMage
HedgeMage is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.HedgeMage is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.HedgeMage is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.HedgeMage is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.HedgeMage is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.HedgeMage is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.HedgeMage is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.HedgeMage is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.HedgeMage is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.HedgeMage is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.HedgeMage is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I haven't tried it, but something like the M-Edge Guardian case for Kindle seems like it would do what you need. Unfortunately you'd have to go K2...the Guardian for K3 isn't out yet.

As for Kindle's firmware, maybe someone else here can comment. I am absolutely opposed to DRM, so when my Kindle comes, I'm planning to load it with OpenInkPot ASAP.
HedgeMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
Spr
Spr began at the beginning.

Hard Cases!

I hadn't thought about a protective case... That guardian looks like it would fit the bill!
Spr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeMage View Post
I haven't tried it, but something like the M-Edge Guardian case for Kindle seems like it would do what you need. Unfortunately you'd have to go K2...the Guardian for K3 isn't out yet.

As for Kindle's firmware, maybe someone else here can comment. I am absolutely opposed to DRM, so when my Kindle comes, I'm planning to load it with OpenInkPot ASAP.
That version is also on sale for half off - from $80 to $40.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr View Post
I hadn't thought about a protective case... That guardian looks like it would fit the bill!
How about an iPod touch with a protective case? Don't know if it'll do everything you want, though.

Keep in mind that ereaders are fragile because of the glass substrate in the display. Even a protected ereader can suffer a busted substrate if dropped.

The touch has the advantage of being more compact and less prone to being knocked out of commission. There are several cases out there that provide protection from the environment, are waterproof, and quite shock resistant.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote