Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-15-2020, 12:02 PM   #61
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The Fire is a Tablet. I think they dropped Kindle from the name?

I doubt any dedicated ereader sensibly scrolls. Scrolls are stupid and it was really silly that Websites in 1992 went back over 2000 years. Pages are far better.

I'd love my web browser to paginate. The one on the Kindle DXG does. IMO the later webrowsers on eink are all horrible to use.
Well, there aren't really any "later" browsers on the eInks. They're still the same beta browser that's been there since Moses was in the rushes.

AFAIK, the Fire is still casually referred to as a Fire Kindle, but if you go to Amazon and look, they're called Fire Tablets, not Fire Kindles as they used to be.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:33 PM   #62
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, there aren't really any "later" browsers on the eInks. They're still the same beta browser that's been there since Moses was in the rushes.
Obviously the Kindle DXG must have been coded by Nimrod, Noah or Abraham. It's certainly very different to the last Kindle Keyboard FW, or PW3.
The Kobo browser seems a little different and irritatingly easy to change zoom / text size instead of scroll, or else I'm clumsy.
However I avoid all of them as I hardly go out, so use laptop. Or perhaps use the tablet if the laptop is off. I even deleted the WiFi off the Kobo Libra.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #63
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Obviously the Kindle DXG must have been coded by Nimrod, Noah or Abraham. It's certainly very different to the last Kindle Keyboard FW, or PW3.
The Kobo browser seems a little different and irritatingly easy to change zoom / text size instead of scroll, or else I'm clumsy.
However I avoid all of them as I hardly go out, so use laptop. Or perhaps use the tablet if the laptop is off. I even deleted the WiFi off the Kobo Libra.
I think you're the only person I've met in 3 decades who knows that "Nimrod" isn't a pejorative meaning "idiot."

Hitch
Old 09-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #64
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Wasn't Nimrod considered an idiot because he built the Tower of Babel - or something like that??
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:04 PM   #65
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Wasn't Nimrod considered an idiot because he built the Tower of Babel - or something like that??
Nimrod was the Mighty Hunter. ;-)

Hitch
Old 09-15-2020, 03:14 PM   #66
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Hitch
Unless you were Daffy Duck or Bugs Bunny and referred to Elmer Fudd as Nimrod and people didn't catch the sarcasm.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:54 PM   #67
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:

Hitch
Hence the name of the Hawker Siddeley/ BAe Nimrod maritime patrol aircraft.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:14 PM   #68
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Unless you were Daffy Duck or Bugs Bunny and referred to Elmer Fudd as Nimrod and people didn't catch the sarcasm.
Yup, but it simply slid by most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Hence the name of the Hawker Siddeley/ BAe Nimrod maritime patrol aircraft.

BobC
Yup, that is indeed correct. (And you'll find a larger amount of dogs, named Nimrod, in the UK, too, than in the US, all that purported religiosity notwithstanding.)

Hitch
Old 09-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #69
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think you're the only person I've met in 3 decades who knows that "Nimrod" isn't a pejorative meaning "idiot."

Hitch
He's in the bible.

Nimrod probably was a local smart King.
The tradition of him being involved with the Tower of Babel isn't in the Bible.

There isn't a clear identification of him in Akkadian records. He might be the founder of Erech.

We know more about Gilgamesh who might be from about the same period. And his story is the world's oldest found in written form. Burning down a town tends to preserve cuneiform tablets by firing them like pottery! Most of them are now in Chicago and have not yet been read. But then most ancient Irish Manuscripts (many older than the oldest written Norse legends) are in UK Universities and haven't been properly catalogued or read or translated. Almost no modern Irish speakers can read them.

Amazingly we can translate them. Though there are four main kinds of cuneiform and only one is alphabetic (technically an Abjad).

I find it very interesting.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:10 AM   #70
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
He's in the bible.
Yes--from whence cometh the whole "mighty hunter" thing, no? I mean, that seems to be what I remember.

Quote:
Nimrod probably was a local smart King.
The tradition of him being involved with the Tower of Babel isn't in the Bible.
I've never heard that, but that doesn't mean bupkus.

Quote:
There isn't a clear identification of him in Akkadian records. He might be the founder of Erech.

We know more about Gilgamesh who might be from about the same period. And his story is the world's oldest found in written form. Burning down a town tends to preserve cuneiform tablets by firing them like pottery! Most of them are now in Chicago and have not yet been read. But then most ancient Irish Manuscripts (many older than the oldest written Norse legends) are in UK Universities and haven't been properly catalogued or read or translated. Almost no modern Irish speakers can read them.

Amazingly we can translate them. Though there are four main kinds of cuneiform and only one is alphabetic (technically an Abjad).

I find it very interesting.
Look at the bright side--much was lost during the Dark Ages. Whilst I would argue that the Monks trying to convert the Irish did their own fair share of damage, they also preserved a LOT of the written Celt heritage, too, during that same period, which is more than most other regions/nation-states got; most of their stuff pre-Dark Ages is lost.

Hitch
Old 09-17-2020, 09:24 AM   #71
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Pretty much the only European stuff outside of Latin & Greek is 10th to 14th C Celtic/Insular manuscripts created by the monks and two Icelandic MSS from 13th C, I think, They preserved a lot of the Greek and Latin too. They seem to have made little change other than adding content, some MSS are recognisably Oral traditions passed down from the Bronze Age, some maybe for over a 1000 years. Not so unlikely as it seems given that it was all in verse and passed on by Bards, who were almost King rank and changing the existing sagas was taboo.

No, I'm not complaining about the monks. They did very little damage actually. Just wondering why the stuff is in Foreign Universities, still, almost 100 years after the re-establishment of the state.

Probably a lot of stuff from Syria, Iraq & Iran, um … transferred, in USA, UK and France has saved it from destruction from 1980s to today. Iranian Revolution, two gulf wars, Iran-Iraq war and current conflicts. A lot has been lost in Mali or somewhere in that part of Africa lately.