Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-22-2021, 06:20 PM   #556
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
That's good. I once had a cross-platform program mistakenly save a file with a colon, which is illegal in Windows. I had to use a Linux boot disk to get rid of the damn thing.
Colons are not exactly illegal in Windows/NTFS, they are used to denote alternate data streams (file forks), e.g. myfile.txt:mystream. Nirsoft's AlternateStreamView can be used to to extract and delete them while Notepad is one of the few programs that can create/edit them.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-22-2021 at 06:41 PM. Reason: add quote
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:25 AM   #557
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I've got a chain that randomly does stuff I don't want. I'm working on debugging it, but I'm thinking it would be nice to have some tools for debugging chains.

What I'm wishing I had right now is a button (on each line) in the chain editor to run the action. That would let me run each item to make sure it does what I think it should be doing.

Last edited by compurandom; 04-25-2021 at 09:36 AM.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2021, 03:32 PM   #558
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
An option to toggle actions on and off without deleting them would work, too; you could toggle them all off and then toggle them all one at a time until you find the mistake.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-25-2021 at 03:36 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:31 PM   #559
capink
Evangelist
capink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle
Will take this into consideration for the future.
capink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:21 AM   #560
chaley
Grumpy old git
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I've got a chain that randomly does stuff I don't want. I'm working on debugging it, but I'm thinking it would be nice to have some tools for debugging chains.

What I'm wishing I had right now is a button (on each line) in the chain editor to run the action. That would let me run each item to make sure it does what I think it should be doing.
Quote:
An option to toggle actions on and off without deleting them would work, too; you could toggle them all off and then toggle them all one at a time until you find the mistake.
Maybe have a "single step" mode? This would use a non-modal dialog so the user can interact with the library while the chain is running, in order to see what is happening. The idea: for each action in the chain:
  • Run the condition and display the results. Wait for Continue/Cancel.
  • Display the scope criteria. You could "Mark" the books in the scope, or maybe select them. Wait for Continue/Cancel. On "continue", ensure that the scope is applied, which might mean checking the selection in the library.
  • Run the action. Where it makes sense, such as single-field edit, show the results somehow, possibly in the dialog, possibly using marks. Wait for Continue/Cancel.
This would certainly be a fair amount of work, but would provide a lot of flexibility.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2021, 06:59 AM   #561
capink
Evangelist
capink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipediacapink knows more than wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Maybe have a "single step" mode? This would use a non-modal dialog so the user can interact with the library while the chain is running, in order to see what is happening. The idea: for each action in the chain:
  • Run the condition and display the results. Wait for Continue/Cancel.
  • Display the scope criteria. You could "Mark" the books in the scope, or maybe select them. Wait for Continue/Cancel. On "continue", ensure that the scope is applied, which might mean checking the selection in the library.
  • Run the action. Where it makes sense, such as single-field edit, show the results somehow, possibly in the dialog, possibly using marks. Wait for Continue/Cancel.
This would certainly be a fair amount of work, but would provide a lot of flexibility.
I was thinking along the same lines. More specifically, something like the break points you introduced to the template dialog.

As for displaying the results, was wondering if something like the quick view can be re-used to display the results. If not maybe develop something similar.

Anyway, as you said it is going to be a fair bit of work and it will take sometime before I start working on this.
Old 04-29-2021, 05:42 PM   #562
capink
Evangelist

Version 1.8.3
  • Update: Experimental: new "Chain Caller" action.
  • Minor changes.

The new Chain Caller action is experimental and will only appear if you switch on the experimental feature of the plugin using this tweak:

Code:
action_chains_experimental = True
The action validates the settings to guard against infinite recursion.

Note: Experimental features can be removed or changed in the future.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:37 PM   #563
ownedbycats
Wizard
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What kind of chains could create infinite recursion?
Old 04-30-2021, 08:00 AM   #564
capink
Evangelist

Quote:
What kind of chains could create infinite recursion?
Circular dependency.

Quote:
- Start ActionChain#1
- It calls ActionChain#2
- But then that calls ActionChain#1
- Which again calls ActionChain#2
- And once again, it calls ActionChain#1...

I don't think there's any good way to halt a chain in progress, is there?
Old 05-04-2021, 04:22 PM   #565
ownedbycats
Wizard

Thanks Also thanks for making the plugin. It's saved me at least a few thousand clicks at this point. probably more.

This might've been answered before, but were there any plans of enabling scopes for Calibre actions?

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-04-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 04:56 PM   #566
capink
Evangelist

Quote:
Thanks Also thanks for making the plugin. It's saved me at least a few thousand clicks at this point. probably more.
You are welcome. Really appreciate that.

Quote:
This might've been answered before, but were there any plans of enabling scopes for Calibre actions?
Unfortunately that is out of the plugin's control. It calls Calibre Actions and if the target action is selection based, it currently can not do anything to change that.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:03 PM   #567
ownedbycats
Wizard

Is there a way to copy a specific action from one chain to a different one, or merging chains? Mostly for copying stuff over from a test chain to a working one.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 05-04-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:16 PM   #568
capink
Evangelist

No there is not. You have to copy the templates themselves. You can use the newly added save and load buttons in the template editor for this.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:28 AM   #569
capink
Evangelist

Version 1.8.4
  • Update: Events: Store event arguments as chain variable _event_args.
  • Update: New Template Functions: field_names() and field_metadata()
  • Minor Fixes.

Event arguments are document in this post. Currently the only event that passes arguments is the "Library View Double Clicked" Event. It passes the book_id and column name, so it can be utilized to launch different actions depending on the column that is double clicked.

New Template Functions are always documented in this post.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:18 PM   #570
SoccerDad91016
SoccerDad91016 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 3, Samsung Galaxy Tab S4, and Samsung Galaxy Tab A8
Version 1.8.4 Breaks my installation of Calibre

Updated the Action Chains plugin to version 1.8.4 and now Calibre will not start. I get the startup banner, then the main window flashes briefly and closes. I don't see any tasks in taskmanager either.

When I run Calibre in Debug (calibre-debug -g 1>> log.txt 2>&1), I get the following error in the log file...

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.action_chains.events.base", line 49, in run
File "calibre_plugins.action_chains.events.event_tools" , line 43, in __init__
KeyError: 'event_members'

Running Calibre v5.17 64-bit on Windows 10

Was working fine prior to the latest update
SoccerDad91016 is offline   Reply With Quote